GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Premium Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-16, 12:27 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Premium Fuel

LS430 owner, acquiring a '02 GS300 w/ 85k for my son. I'm sure the question of premium fuel v. register has been over-discussed on this forum (as it has on the LS430 forum). That said, I will pose it. Since the kid will be buying his own gas, what do you think about using regular? Thanks.
Old 05-28-16, 12:40 PM
Jackie939
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sgretchko
LS430 owner, acquiring a '02 GS300 w/ 85k for my son. I'm sure the question of premium fuel v. register has been over-discussed on this forum (as it has on the LS430 forum). That said, I will pose it. Since the kid will be buying his own gas, what do you think about using regular? Thanks.
1. If it has been over discussed why ask again? Or is it that fuel characteristics don't apply to another car except the LS?

2. "the kid will be buying his own gas"?? Before this who bought your Gas? Mom?

3. If you have to ask.. Then the Answer is "Gas is Gas"
Old 05-28-16, 12:59 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Apparently the ecu will compensate for putting crap in the engine (doesnt make it ok imo) However, a word for pops... Teach your son that its not worth dirtying the engine to save $3 on a FULL tank of gas People rarely put a full tank of gas, so he's only saving a buck every time he puts gas in. Teach him the extra dollar is worth keeping the car in best condition

Also, everyone needs to learn that top tier gas DOES have its qualities. Sure, gas is gas, but every companies additives is what makes the difference. On that note, I've learned that 2jz LOVES Chevron gas and I've found that although you spend a bit more, you get much more mpg than other gas so it comes out to be cheaper (never did the math on exact) but its significant. Thats only compared to 76 which too is a to tier fuel source.

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 05-28-16 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-28-16, 01:43 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Apparently the ecu will compensate for putting crap in the engine (doesnt make it ok imo) However, a word for pops... Teach your son that its not worth dirtying the engine to save $3 on a FULL tank of gas People rarely put a full tank of gas, so he's only saving a buck every time he puts gas in. Teach him the extra dollar is worth keeping the car in best condition

Also, everyone needs to learn that top tier gas DOES have its qualities. Sure, gas is gas, but every companies additives is what makes the difference. On that note, I've learned that 2jz LOVES Chevron gas and I've found that although you spend a bit more, you get much more mpg than other gas so it comes out to be cheaper (never did the math on exact) but its significant. Thats only compared to 76 which too is a to tier fuel source.
Well saId Mr. Jokster. Agree with you 100%
Old 05-28-16, 03:21 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I never understood using lower octane gas. Like Mrjokester stated, u get more miles a tank and it's better for your engine.
Old 05-28-16, 04:51 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by SpectraBlu
I never understood using lower octane gas. Like Mrjokester stated, u get more miles a tank and it's better for your engine.
Actually, I never said higher octane gives better mileage, I stated that certain top tier additives gave me a better mpg and in addition, the top tier fuels detergents are better for the engine, not the octane rating. In short, octane has nothing to do with more power or mileage per se but actually has to do with how much the fuel can be compressed before igniting, the higher the number, the less likely it is to ignite under pressure. Thus the reason pinging or rather, knock can occur if you put a lower octane in a car that requires higher octane. Better power or mileage is mere incidental from the use of proper fuel compared to improper fuel use.

IIRC, the higher the compression, the higher the octane you need for the reason of the above statement. but the computer does a good job at regulating the fuel to air ratio, thus my statement that the computer will compensate for the lower octane gas. Saying that the lower octane gas is caca (as i always do) relates only to how the car reacts to the improper fuel.

I say, stick with what the car suggests and that will eliminate the occurrence of knock which will also eliminate the possibility of engine damage/failure.
Old 05-28-16, 10:37 PM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You actually will get better MPG and power with premium vs regular in a car designed for premium and that adjusts the timing less advanced when pinging occurs with regular.

Putting premium in a car designed for regular however will not increase power.