GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

First time Lexus buyer

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-16, 02:37 PM
RuthlessM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time Lexus buyer

So im currently a college student in the market for a new car. I obviously dont have enough money for a newer gen car. I would rather buy an older year and fix it up.
So ive been researching up on a 1998-2001 GS 400 and ive been impressed with the reviews. In Las Vegas there are not many of those around. I have found 2 total on the market. I need some opinions on either of the options.
1. 98' riding on 19s
202k miles
Current tag
Owner is claiming to have title in hand
Asking $2,000

2. 99' all stock
180k miles
Private dealer
Claiming nothing is wrong with it what so ever
Asking $4,995

Both are white.
Both are tinted at 10% or more

3. Wait for something else

I dont mind replacing the engine iin the future.
Also I do need some tips on buying a car IF I do decide on the private seller.
Let me know what you think.
Old 02-15-16, 03:54 PM
Brahms
Rookie

My $.02: Keep an eye out and wait for something else.

1. Anything that seems too good to be true probably is. Be sure to have a reputable Lexus mechanic check the car out for all the usual issues (front suspension, etc.). Check the regional forums for advice on whom to see for an inspection. You'll also want proof that the timing belt (ie, the 90k service, if I recall correctly) was done. I've heard visual inspection is not very reliable on these cars.
2. As someone mentioned on the GS400 vs ES330 purchasing advice thread, the car you are shopping for is old, and no amount of maintenance can overcome the ravages of time. Be mindful of this.
3. 2001 model year was GS430, not GS400. Not sure you care, but if you do you may as well expand your search a couple years. 2001 saw the removal of the e-shift buttons on the steering wheel (or whatever they're called).
Old 02-15-16, 04:21 PM
Bullitt180
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say talk to the dealer and see if they are ok that you have that one checked out by a mechanic of your choice (obviously a certified Lexus tech) and have them make sure everything is copacetic. Make sure to have codes pulled even if there is no check engine light to ensure that the dealer didn't pull the bulb. Get any information you can on previous owners and maintainence records. Run a car fax report to make sure there are no red flags there. I wouldn't even entertain the one for $2000 unless it's in really good shape because they don't normally sell for that low even at that age, leads me to believe the value isn't actually there for some reason. Test drive it for a while, seriously, drive it around for at least half an hour and keep checking for leaks, noises, smoke, temps. Check the oil and trans fluid to make sure they are in good shape. If the dealer has an issue with any of these "checks" it's not the car for you because they are probably hiding something. Negotiate, believe me that's not their bottom dollar.

Good luck.
Old 02-15-16, 06:59 PM
firelizard
Forum Moderator

Received 460 Likes on 364 Posts

If you don't have a lot of money, why not get something fuel efficient and practical?

Either way though, it comes down to maintenance, and how much of it you would have to do on each car. Only you can find that out, we can't help you there.

I can tell you though, that the front ball joints are a must-do on an old GS, and the bushings should be looked at as well. Timing belt and water pump should be done every 100,000km or so. That's an expensive job if you take it to a shop.
Aside from that, there's a bunch of power stuff in the interior that can malfunction, power door lock actuators are a common one. Factory parts are really expensive, but aftermarket replacements are widely available and inexpensive.
Old 02-15-16, 08:37 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I would wait if possible and keep looking, until you find one you know u want without a doubt. I spent 5 months looking until I found the spectra blue with low miles I was looking for, then drove 6 hours to get it Anyways I wish you the best of luck, their pretty awesome cars!
Old 02-15-16, 08:57 PM
GSTim
Rookie

First to those who dont know. The Vegas market is different. Los Angeles has lots of GS. I bought mine in LA when I was living out there. The 2nd gen GS has no value out here in Vegas. Its cheap. Thats why im keeping mine until it dies. Lol.
Old 02-15-16, 09:39 PM
RuthlessM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by firelizard
If you don't have a lot of money, why not get something fuel efficient and practical?

Either way though, it comes down to maintenance, and how much of it you would have to do on each car. Only you can find that out, we can't help you there.

I can tell you though, that the front ball joints are a must-do on an old GS, and the bushings should be looked at as well. Timing belt and water pump should be done every 100,000km or so. That's an expensive job if you take it to a shop.
Aside from that, there's a bunch of power stuff in the interior that can malfunction, power door lock actuators are a common one. Factory parts are really expensive, but aftermarket replacements are widely available and inexpensive.
I believe you read the post wrong. I dont have the money for a NEWER gen car. I do infact have the money for a older gen car and I dont mind replacing anything that breaks. As a car enthusiast, i really do like older gen vehicles due to their uniqueness and wide variety of parts available.

Anyway thanks for providing me wirh a few things i needed to know about the car since i dont have much knowledge in it
Old 02-15-16, 10:51 PM
8M6
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't know what your budget is, but be patient and don't settle for something that isn't in good shape without a clean history including maintenance. You don't want to be left feeling like you inherited someone else's problems. Anything that you would have to replace right off the bat would essentially add to your intial purchase price.

In 2011, I searched nationwide for more than half a year to find a GS400 that was about as beautiful an example as anyone could still hope to find, and I played the game on expert difficulty (Spectra Blue Mica only). When I finally found it, I probably overpaid by about $500 and was likely only competing against myself, but securing the deal was more important after some of the clapped out examples I had come across earlier in the year, including one where it looked like a dog ate the steering wheel, and another one that made a good smokeshow.

Last edited by 8M6; 02-15-16 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-16-16, 08:38 AM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 283 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by SpectraBlu
I would wait if possible and keep looking, until you find one you know u want without a doubt. I spent 5 months looking until I found the spectra blue with low miles I was looking for, then drove 6 hours to get it Anyways I wish you the best of luck, their pretty awesome cars!
Haha. I waited almost a year for my spectra back in 2000!
Old 02-16-16, 11:02 AM
RuthlessM
Driver School Candidate

As GSTim stated, just about any older gen car is a hard find in Las Vegas. Everyone wants the new and updated here. No one likes to be outdated. It is way different than Cali. All 2nd Gen GS400's are around the price range of 3k to 8k.

Since posting this, I have opened up my searching radius. Ive downloaded all the car market apps along with craigslist plus have been searching up to 200 miles.

I have found 1 that fits my criteria exactly the way I want it. Free CarFax on it
Year 99'
Black Interior/Exterior
E-Shift buttons on Wheel
Car all around is clean including the engine
No cracking on seats
160k Miles
2 owners (Technically 1 since the 2nd owner is a buy to sell)
1st owner has maintenance the vehicle more than minimal requirements
Asking price is $6,499 which I could maybe talk the price down

I am still on the look out for anything better than this. I wont be too fast to get this one just yet.
Old 02-17-16, 11:23 AM
mveale
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RuthlessM
I have found 1 that fits my criteria exactly the way I want it. Free CarFax on it
Year 99'
Black Interior/Exterior
E-Shift buttons on Wheel
Car all around is clean including the engine
No cracking on seats
160k Miles
2 owners (Technically 1 since the 2nd owner is a buy to sell)
1st owner has maintenance the vehicle more than minimal requirements
Asking price is $6,499 which I could maybe talk the price down
I ended up paying $5700 for pretty much this same car with 140k. Clean title, brand new 20's and tires, lowered on Tanabe DF210s. Only con was a minor scrape on the front bumper and fender from a parking lot incident. The car had obviously been very well maintained, and had documentation for recent timing belt and ball joint replacement. I would say they're not TOO far off on the price if it's in good shape. I'd be pretty happy with $6,000.

In an older car (such as our 2nd gen GS's), you can usually distinguish a good one from a bad one by going to look at it and taking it for a drive. However, pre-purchase inspections are ALWAYS a good idea if you can afford one. If not, take your most mechanically-inclined friend with you for a second opinion.

Good luck on your search, man! You've picked out a great car.