GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Starter issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-15, 01:43 PM
Category5
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter issue?

So problem is I turn the key, all I get is a click noise, all the lights are on, steering wheel comes out as normal, but turn the key to start and all I get is clicks.

I had this issue in the past, and replaced my starter with another used one from a 2001 that had roughly 90k miles on it, and now again, about 1k miles or less, its doing it again. I thought it may have just been a bad battery so I just went and replaced mine as it looked like it was leaking anyhow, and the battery was under warranty still so they gave me a new one. Just installed it and sure enough same thing, just clicks..... it did this about 2 months ago for about a day, then just for ******s I tried again the next day and it started, and continued to start every time until today again.... so, is it just my luck that the 2nd starter I installed was also bad or what is it thats chewing up my starters???? Has anyone seen such a issue? 2 starters, one being with 170k original miles, (understandable) but then another with only 90k going out again? Wth is the issue lol why is my car going through starters like no other? Thanks guys.
Old 12-04-15, 03:38 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Well, theres no such thing as only 90k miles, thats still a lot. Not saying a starter cant last forever, but just like a starter can also NOT last forever. yes its a chance that its the starter. Although it may not be the actual starter, but could be a faulty solenoid. Being that its your second, I'd check the connections for gunk or something which may be building up giving bad connection. There may not have been anything wrong with the first starter and the second one only worked because by swapping them you removed the possibly dirty/bad connection wires and reconnected them which in a sense cleaned them or just gave better contact when reinstalling the new one. Also, you may want to check for voltage drop on the power leads from the battery to the starter in case the wires may be bad.
Old 12-07-15, 02:51 PM
Category5
Driver

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Well, theres no such thing as only 90k miles, thats still a lot. Not saying a starter cant last forever, but just like a starter can also NOT last forever. yes its a chance that its the starter. Although it may not be the actual starter, but could be a faulty solenoid. Being that its your second, I'd check the connections for gunk or something which may be building up giving bad connection. There may not have been anything wrong with the first starter and the second one only worked because by swapping them you removed the possibly dirty/bad connection wires and reconnected them which in a sense cleaned them or just gave better contact when reinstalling the new one. Also, you may want to check for voltage drop on the power leads from the battery to the starter in case the wires may be bad.
Yea my first starters body actually melted, thing literally fried it's self, (ive got a thread with detailed photo's, swear you actually commented in it to a while back...was bizarre) but ive found some other posts of people having the exact same issue with even newly remanfactured ones, which I wouldnt purchase but no ones completed there threads as to what the culprit ended up being.... All my wires are new, I replaced the main positive line that goes from the battery to the starter, Im going to try jumping it although the battery is BRANDNEW, not one single start on it yet, but who knows it could have been on the shelf for a bit and needs the extra boost? And im also going to check my main ground wire... ill report back. The starter was honestly cranking PERFECT once I installed it, hopefully the body of this one isnt melted as well, telling me theres something smoking my starters.... Ive got a 140amp alternator installed but that wouldnt have any effect on the starter would it?
Old 12-07-15, 03:11 PM
ChadsGS400
Driver School Candidate

My 99 GS400 has 104K and the starter is going bad. Replacing after Xmas with a rebuilt unit. You know you can get a rebuild kit from Lexus and rebuild it? They also have them on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/230757269748

You will also need the plunger
Old 12-07-15, 03:41 PM
Category5
Driver

Originally Posted by ChadsGS400
My 99 GS400 has 104K and the starter is going bad. Replacing after Xmas with a rebuilt unit. You know you can get a rebuild kit from Lexus and rebuild it? They also have them on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/230757269748

You will also need the plunger
Yea if this ones bad to im def. Going to just rebuild it, I took my last one apart just to see how bad the contacts were and there was NOTHING left hahaha but I was so stupid for not rebuilding the one I replaced mine with before installing it.... aghh.... so dumb of me... thanks a lot for the info and the link!
Old 12-07-15, 05:20 PM
Category5
Driver

So I checked voltage at ky starter and its roughly around 12.5, when I turn the key to start the car, and the starter makes the click noise, my voltage was dropping to somewhere in the low 11's, like 11.2v I believe it was.... That too low? Should be sufficient enough to get it to crank right?
Old 12-07-15, 06:09 PM
Category5
Driver

Alright update, im pretty sure its the neutral safety switch, I shifted through my gears a few times, rolled the car back about 6 inches, put it back in park, cranked it and it cranked and started first try.
Old 12-07-15, 07:07 PM
GSTim
Rookie

Good job on further diagnosis. The starter signal is good at that voltage. I would not bet that the neutral safety switch is bad. Except the fact that you move the car forward, moving the wheels, turning the axles, while turning the flywheel to loosen up the starter, therefore it started. I believe its your starter(my opinion).
Old 12-08-15, 11:44 AM
Category5
Driver

Originally Posted by GSTim
Good job on further diagnosis. The starter signal is good at that voltage. I would not bet that the neutral safety switch is bad. Except the fact that you move the car forward, moving the wheels, turning the axles, while turning the flywheel to loosen up the starter, therefore it started. I believe its your starter(my opinion).
Thanks man, I just removed the neutral safety switch off another, newer Gs I have thats junk, which is actually the same car I got the second starter from and installed, but havent touched mine yet.

The car did start this morning, hoping it will start at lunch haha, but its funny you say that because I was wondering the same thing actually as well. It still could have been the starter that was just locked up with the fly wheel and all I did was loosen it like you mentioned..... therefor it cranked...

I wish I would have tried cranking it after I shifted through all the gears a few times before I also rolled the car back about 6inch..... that could have helped me pin point the true cause a bit better..... anyhow I know what to do the next time it happens, and ill go from there. Ill either end up just taking off the starter, and rebuilding it and replacing its solenoid, or replacing the nuetral safety switch, either way ill report back! Thanks
Old 12-08-15, 07:07 PM
Gdwrench35
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your neutral safety switch was bad, you wouldn't get the clicks when you try to start it. Like GSTim said, its your starter. Rebuilding it is the best option. The aftermarket stuff out there is junk.
Old 12-09-15, 11:40 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

I replaced my first starter at about 120k and then rebuilt it at 235k.