GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What the **** is this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-15, 02:51 PM
Bamboo86
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the **** is this?

New here but been reading anonymously a month or two before making the decision to buy my car a year ago. Finally decided to post something because I'm doing some maintenance on the car before I head east to North Carolina from Wisconsin. Just got done reading about the horrors of failed ball joints on the car yesterday. Might have to inspect and change those. Before I get to the issue, a little history first.

I bought the 2001 GS300 last year at this time at 106K. Now it's 122K. I have no idea what the previous owner did to the car, but I did an Autocheck history on it before buying and it came out good. Score of 86 if anyone is curious. Just a number I know but it's certainly reassuring. I did notice the car got auctioned though and one owner. As I said, I don't know everything that was done to the car before I got my hands on her. I don't know if the timing belt was changed out or even the ball joints. I have changed the oil/filter 3 times and it will be my forth sometime this week. Been running Castrol Edge 0W-40 and a Bosch Distant Plus filter. Also changed the rotors and pads, front and rear, for slotted and drilled ones from Brake Motives over the summer. I guess those replacements were quite a reputable brand from Chicago. Also got new Pirelli P7 all season tires on it as well because sliding in that car in snow was quite terrifying with the balding previous tires. I also take notes of every maintenance thing I've done to the car. Apologies to the unneeded history. Now to the question.

What is this? I notice some rocks stuck inside between my radiator and bumper while I was swapping out some blown bulbs and decided to take them out. While doing that, I found these two piece sitting in there. I have no idea what it is and what it's for. Anyone?

Also notice my car makes a deep squealing noise when I back out of the driveway to turn left. Only after being parked for a period of time though. This started after my mechanic patched up a tire and rotated them. I hope it's not the ball joint that I have recently read about. If it is, this will set me back maybe a few weeks from driving east. I'll try to remember to record that sound.
Old 11-24-15, 03:14 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

You've got the part number right there... just google it up!

Part No. 53629-30020
Part Description COVER, HOOD LOCK CONTROL CABLE
Old 11-24-15, 03:16 PM
Bamboo86
Driver School Candidate

Thanks man
Old 11-27-15, 09:39 AM
thatguyj33
Driver School Candidate

Default Squealing help

Originally Posted by Bamboo86
New here but been reading anonymously a month or two before making the decision to buy my car a year ago. Finally decided to post something because I'm doing some maintenance on the car before I head east to North Carolina from Wisconsin. Just got done reading about the horrors of failed ball joints on the car yesterday. Might have to inspect and change those. Before I get to the issue, a little history first.

I bought the 2001 GS300 last year at this time at 106K. Now it's 122K. I have no idea what the previous owner did to the car, but I did an Autocheck history on it before buying and it came out good. Score of 86 if anyone is curious. Just a number I know but it's certainly reassuring. I did notice the car got auctioned though and one owner. As I said, I don't know everything that was done to the car before I got my hands on her. I don't know if the timing belt was changed out or even the ball joints. I have changed the oil/filter 3 times and it will be my forth sometime this week. Been running Castrol Edge 0W-40 and a Bosch Distant Plus filter. Also changed the rotors and pads, front and rear, for slotted and drilled ones from Brake Motives over the summer. I guess those replacements were quite a reputable brand from Chicago. Also got new Pirelli P7 all season tires on it as well because sliding in that car in snow was quite terrifying with the balding previous tires. I also take notes of every maintenance thing I've done to the car. Apologies to the unneeded history. Now to the question.

What is this? I notice some rocks stuck inside between my radiator and bumper while I was swapping out some blown bulbs and decided to take them out. While doing that, I found these two piece sitting in there. I have no idea what it is and what it's for. Anyone?

Also notice my car makes a deep squealing noise when I back out of the driveway to turn left. Only after being parked for a period of time though. This started after my mechanic patched up a tire and rotated them. I hope it's not the ball joint that I have recently read about. If it is, this will set me back maybe a few weeks from driving east. I'll try to remember to record that sound.
For the squealing noise while in reverse:

You'll need to replace the #2 castor arm bushings and do your front lower and upper(get some SPC FUCA's) ball joints. Just did this to mine and the squeals and creaks are GONE and did the Power steering bushings a couple weeks after that. All were Figs made. My GS has been butter ever since my alignment.
Hope this helps!