GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Steering wheel hard to turn

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-15, 01:00 PM
Fikus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel hard to turn

its starting to turn steering wheel harder when it was,no leaks.What can it be?
Old 09-18-15, 02:56 PM
GeniusGS
Driver School Candidate

Maybe you need to bleed the PS. Make sure you're using the right fluid also.
Old 09-18-15, 08:16 PM
Fikus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GeniusGS
Maybe you need to bleed the PS. Make sure you're using the right fluid also.
I putted prestone, i need to use oem?also i need to bleed it like breaks?
Old 09-18-15, 09:08 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Power Steering needs Dexron III, NOT PS FLUID. The friction modifiers are very different.
Not even T4 fluid.

I put in Royal Purple PS fluid and it never felt right, then I found that Lex requires Dex III, so I put in Amsoil ATF and it feels much better.
Old 09-19-15, 07:33 AM
Fikus
Driver School Candidate

Got fluid ,also got metal gasket, i broke the old one, is there is a position for it or just put it on?
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel hard to turn-image22.jpg   Steering wheel hard to turn-image12.jpg  
Old 09-19-15, 09:08 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

If your steering is stiffer than usual but not where it requires two hands to turn the wheel, than you have an issue with the vacuum system that is attached to the power steering pump. when the engine is idling or low rpms, it sends a vacuum signal to the device attached to the p/s pump and causes it increase the pump output so the wheel can be turned easily. possible the vacuum line going to it has come off or is rotted or the valve mechanism on the pump has failed and will require replacement. its the small vacuum line that attaches to your intake pipe. follow the line down to your p/s pump.
Old 09-19-15, 10:46 AM
Fikus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by badblackgs
If your steering is stiffer than usual but not where it requires two hands to turn the wheel, than you have an issue with the vacuum system that is attached to the power steering pump. when the engine is idling or low rpms, it sends a vacuum signal to the device attached to the p/s pump and causes it increase the pump output so the wheel can be turned easily. possible the vacuum line going to it has come off or is rotted or the valve mechanism on the pump has failed and will require replacement. its the small vacuum line that attaches to your intake pipe. follow the line down to your p/s pump.
Thanks for the detailed answer,going to check it, (i change the fluid right now and its the same.)
Old 09-19-15, 10:54 AM
Fikus
Driver School Candidate

Picture attached.this one?
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel hard to turn-419aq6aczll._ss400_.jpg  
Old 09-19-15, 01:01 PM
Fikus
Driver School Candidate

All done!!! Working great,as you said the one wire was cutted.Thank you for your help !!!!!!
Old 09-19-15, 06:33 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Word!!! yes that was it.
Old 08-07-20, 10:36 AM
Collegeman
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone give me a bit more of insight into the vacuum line that goes to the power steering pump? Or the parts? Recently my ps pump was replaced along with the serpentine belt and ATF was added. When i start the car the steering wheel turns nicely, but once i’ve been using the car for a while it starts resisting and making noises. It’s really unpleasant for me and my passengers. Can anyone help me out with that problem? My car is an 02 ES300.