ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Power steering fluid: should I replace, and with what?

Old 03-06-19, 12:03 PM
tanstaafl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power steering fluid: should I replace, and with what?

Greetings, new owner here of 2012 ES 350 with 56,000 miles. When I am driving slowly (like in a parking lot) and I turn the steering wheel (like to make a U turn) I feel a very slight pulsing from the steering wheel to my hands. The power steering pump is not whining. I figured I'd change the power steering fluid using the "siphon out of top of reservoir a few times" method described on other posts, with Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic transmission fluid (Dextron III compatible), as suggested on other posts.

But when I looked at the fluid in the reservoir, it was 1) Full, 2) Clear, not red, and 3) Not very dirty (when I shone a flashlight through the top of the reservoir I could easily see through the fluid to the bottom of the reservoir).

My questions are:
1. Should I change the power steering fluid? (Is the slight pulsing I feel while slow turning abnormal?)
2. What should I use? (The cap of my reservoir does not say to use Dextron III. It says "Notice: Use the fluid of our specification")

Thanks. Also, thanks to everyone who has posted over the years. I have found the posts to be very helpful.
Old 03-06-19, 12:23 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 843 Likes on 641 Posts

You should replace it, with Dexron II or III.
You should also clean the reservoir with brake cleaner.
The following users liked this post:
tanstaafl (03-06-19)
Old 03-06-19, 01:55 PM
simpson
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tanstaafl
Greetings, new owner here of 2012 ES 350 with 56,000 miles. When I am driving slowly (like in a parking lot) and I turn the steering wheel (like to make a U turn) I feel a very slight pulsing from the steering wheel to my hands. The power steering pump is not whining. I figured I'd change the power steering fluid using the "siphon out of top of reservoir a few times" method described on other posts, with Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic transmission fluid (Dextron III compatible), as suggested on other posts.

But when I looked at the fluid in the reservoir, it was 1) Full, 2) Clear, not red, and 3) Not very dirty (when I shone a flashlight through the top of the reservoir I could easily see through the fluid to the bottom of the reservoir).

My questions are:
1. Should I change the power steering fluid? (Is the slight pulsing I feel while slow turning abnormal?)
2. What should I use? (The cap of my reservoir does not say to use Dextron III. It says "Notice: Use the fluid of our specification")

Thanks. Also, thanks to everyone who has posted over the years. I have found the posts to be very helpful.
I can't remeber the oil rating off the top of my head but I always ran mobil 1 or toyota ATF fluid... don't use powersteering oil
Old 03-06-19, 04:04 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a 07 ES350 and i use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic ATF fluid for the power steering i do mine at home with a turkey baster and a small plastic pip line to suck out as much as i can and then i just refill it with new fluid make sure the level is good drive around the corner a few times then back home to do that process 1 more time and than im good about every 20k i have been doing that.

One thing i am supprisd about is that lexus was still using Power steering fluid systems in 2012 i wonder when they switched over to electronic power steering systems
my mothers 1 year older chevy has a electronic no fluid power steering unit
The following users liked this post:
xcalderon (03-12-20)