GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS430 Performance Mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 08:10 AM
Tmurder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS430 Performance Mods

I've been looking around for Performance mods for the 3uz-fe motor, and it seems they are a little tough to find. I'm used to the GM LS series V8s where you are basically tripping over cheap parts to make power. I wanted to ask around to see if there is anything I've missed that you guys know of. So far I've found:

Intake - SRT seems popular
Fuel Controller
Throttle controller (Not really any more power, just better response)
Headers - PPE for quality, OBX for cheap
High flow cats
Cat back exhaust

I contacted Kelford Cams about performance cams for this motor. They said that they can make them but they said not to use them in a street driven car. The rep said the material they use to build up the lobes before regrinding them is much harder metal than factory lobes and will wear out the buckets in about 5K miles.

There is a supercharger kit out there but the price seems insane. Getting close to $10K, sounds so crazy.

Does anyone know of other reasonably priced mods or companies that provide them? Things like ported throttle bodies, ported intake manifolds, different cylinder heads, etc. Or maybe cams that won't destroy a daily driver motor.

Are the parts interchangeable with other Lexus/Toyota motors? With GMs you could put an LS2 throttle body and intake manifold on an LS1 to make power. Can the 3uz-fe take parts from newer V8s like that? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-18-15, 10:30 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

maybe you can get a torque converter for the tranny. Making the tranny more responsive would certainly make the car at least feel faster since the tranny is rather sluggish to begin with. Not much you can do to this engine for performance that isnt going to cost an arm and a leg or make a real difference. I would start with a Throttle controller as those make the BIGGEST difference on the 430s. I want one but I am worried about long term reliability and the wear it causes to other parts as I have heard on BMW forums it can kill the MAF, Throttle body, or the Tranny. Not sure how true that is... I still want one :-)
Old 06-18-15, 07:56 PM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blitz throttle controller, PPE headers, PI torque converter, full exhaust, SRT Intake. Or spend an insane amount on a supercharger. Or do this:
Attached Thumbnails GS430 Performance Mods-gs400lsswap.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
LavishZach (12-16-19)
Old 06-20-15, 02:01 AM
Shady89066
Driver School Candidate

Tmurder... where did you find the supercharger kit ? do the make it for the 1uzfe for my GS400. Im sailing the same boat as you.

Im power hungry and looking around for some mods, wanna make atleast 300 @ the wheels.
Old 06-20-15, 08:02 AM
Tmurder
Driver School Candidate

The supercharger is from Swift Racing Technology. It looks like they do offer it for the 1UZ although most of the details and price looks to be for the 3UZ. $10,499 for a supercharger just seems totally pointless.

https://www.swiftracing.com/SRT/news...spx?newsKey=21

I'm surprised you nobody offers a basic heads/cam/intake setup for the Lexus V8s... SOOOOO much power just left on the table. My guess is just lack of demand. Most folks that want power usually go the Chevy LS series route
Old 06-20-15, 09:12 AM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmurder
The supercharger is from Swift Racing Technology. It looks like they do offer it for the 1UZ although most of the details and price looks to be for the 3UZ. $10,499 for a supercharger just seems totally pointless.

https://www.swiftracing.com/SRT/news...spx?newsKey=21

I'm surprised you nobody offers a basic heads/cam/intake setup for the Lexus V8s... SOOOOO much power just left on the table. My guess is just lack of demand. Most folks that want power usually go the Chevy LS series route
A 32 valve DOHC V8 is substantially more involved than an old school pushrod V8, when it comes to heads and cams. That, combined with the general disinterest in Lexus sedans as performance cars hasn't done much to help the aftermarket.
Old 06-20-15, 05:41 PM
Tmurder
Driver School Candidate

Eh, I'd disagree that it's more involved. If anything the cams are way easier to swap out since they sit on the head instead of down in the block. Neither technology is exactly "cutting edge" these days lol. I think you are right on the money though about lack of interest in performance for these cars.