GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need help, wheel painting 2 piece wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-14, 03:13 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help, wheel painting 2 piece wheels

So my MHT 20s need new tires all around and Was thinking this would be a good time for a day project. I like the face of the wheel but it looks like the lips were painted at some point a semi gloss black. and I want a high gloss finish. Should I get them painted professionally or is this something I can tackle myself. I have my 17 inch stockies on the car so I'm in no rush, but I would like to do it myself for the experience. I am asking this question here since I know there are alot of DIY guys on here that dont cheap out on their cars. and if possible I would like to color match the wheels the same color as the lexus black or maybe another black if it looks nice. I also don't have a spray gun but will buy 1 if needed, .I will also be removing the faces of the wheels since they are 2 peice. Just trying to learn from the best
Old 10-12-14, 09:59 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd get them powdercoated... I've noticed that paint usually doesnt last too long on wheels unless you're the type that religiously cleans them weekly.
Old 10-13-14, 08:59 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
I'd get them powdercoated... I've noticed that paint usually doesnt last too long on wheels unless you're the type that religiously cleans them weekly.
Yikes isn't it really expensive to get them powder coated? It's 500$ for all new tires I'd prolly be looking at around 1000$ all together if I get them powder coated. I actually do clean my car every week since the car is all black it starts to look really dirty after a day. I was thinking of getting them painted professionally if mine doesn't hold up, a shop near me charges me 250$ to paint them with 3 year warranty from chipping/peeling/fading.
Old 10-13-14, 09:14 PM
nelson09
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Too bad you aren't local, Nu Tec only charged me $36/unit. Shop around, Nu Tec for instance does alot of major wheel companies wheels so they know what temp to pcoat different metals. Shouldn't cost that much though, only reason it'd cost more is if there's chrome under that paint, chrome stripping is abit more costly than other finishes.
Old 10-13-14, 09:17 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone know how to remove the face of MHT 2 piece wheels... It won't come off. I hit it with a mallet and it won't budge..
Old 10-13-14, 09:34 PM
GRANYZ400
Driver

I have painted wheels for 8 years. I also opened an online wheel paint shop for 4 years. As a side hobby business it did ok, but with two little kids and full-time job I just didn't want to sink more time into it. So I recently closed it.

Anyway, if you have any specific questions fire away. It always comes down to a durability debate when I recommend spray painting wheels. I'm not here to debate. Powdercoating is great, if you have the time and money to put your car up on jack stands, pull the tires off the wheels, and be without them for 1-3 weeks depending on the shop's lead time. Oh, and don't forget the cost part. Mucho dinero.

Or, for under $100, you can paint your wheels and enjoy the new look.

Last edited by Debonair; 10-13-14 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-14-14, 12:02 AM
SidhuGs300
Pole Position

did you think about plastidipping the wheels?
Old 10-14-14, 01:50 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GRANYZ400
I have painted wheels for 8 years. I also opened an online wheel paint shop for 4 years. As a side hobby business it did ok, but with two little kids and full-time job I just didn't want to sink more time into it. So I recently closed it.

Anyway, if you have any specific questions fire away. It always comes down to a durability debate when I recommend spray painting wheels. I'm not here to debate. Powdercoating is great, if you have the time and money to put your car up on jack stands, pull the tires off the wheels, and be without them for 1-3 weeks depending on the shop's lead time. Oh, and don't forget the cost part. Mucho dinero.

Or, for under $100, you can paint your wheels and enjoy the new look.
Hmm I was actually thinking of buying the rustoleum wheel products. I honestly cannot get the face off the dang lip, I jumped on it.. whacked it with a mallet several times as hard as I could, its not moving. So I'm just going to paint the whole wheel. I was thinking lightly sand the wheel with 600 grit, primer, gloss black, clear it then wetsand and buff out any orange peels that come up. Does that sound like a good plan?
Old 10-14-14, 02:14 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SidhuGs300
did you think about plastidipping the wheels?
Yuck, no I did not lol. I hate plasti dip with a passion. I feel people say flat black is played out because of PD. IMO it's a cheap mod and that's what it screams. I did use it once tho. Ill find a picture and post what I did cause I remember it came out good. I think I covered up a curb rash with it on my black 20's.
Old 10-14-14, 04:21 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What about hydro dipping? You can get a pattern too if you'd like (ie carbon fiber). It's permanent and very durable.
Old 10-14-14, 08:59 PM
GRANYZ400
Driver

Originally Posted by gsean400
Hmm I was actually thinking of buying the rustoleum wheel products. I honestly cannot get the face off the dang lip, I jumped on it.. whacked it with a mallet several times as hard as I could, its not moving. So I'm just going to paint the whole wheel. I was thinking lightly sand the wheel with 600 grit, primer, gloss black, clear it then wetsand and buff out any orange peels that come up. Does that sound like a good plan?
You're on the right track. Wash, fully dry, 400 grit+ sand, Isopropyl Wipe Down (Acetone on a clean MF towel will work too), etching primer (2 coats), base paint (2 coats), clear (2 coats). Indirect heat and a good spray environment helps everything if you can swing it.

As far as product goes, I only carried Dupli-Color aside from the clear coat, which was Krylon (for matte finishes). For Gloss it was a Dupli-Color clear.

I hope this helps!
Old 10-15-14, 02:05 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GRANYZ400
You're on the right track. Wash, fully dry, 400 grit+ sand, Isopropyl Wipe Down (Acetone on a clean MF towel will work too), etching primer (2 coats), base paint (2 coats), clear (2 coats). Indirect heat and a good spray environment helps everything if you can swing it.

As far as product goes, I only carried Dupli-Color aside from the clear coat, which was Krylon (for matte finishes). For Gloss it was a Dupli-Color clear.

I hope this helps!
Very helpfull, thanks. Do you know if you can mix the wheel products? I was hoping I could use the rustoleum wheel primer and clear but for base I would use the duplicolor gs300 onxy black.
Old 10-15-14, 02:12 AM
shurian
Pit Crew

To powdercoat 4 wheel faces with clearcoat cost around 250$ and its a finish that last forever
Do your math before and think which finish last longer...
Old 10-15-14, 02:50 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shurian
To powdercoat 4 wheel faces with clearcoat cost around 250$ and its a finish that last forever
Do your math before and think which finish last longer...
If I can find a place to do the wheels here in az for that price i rather do that.
.If the finish doesn't come out nice after painting them myself, I'll start searching. Do paint shops usually lower price if you do all prep work?
Old 10-15-14, 11:56 AM
GRANYZ400
Driver

Originally Posted by gsean400
Very helpfull, thanks. Do you know if you can mix the wheel products? I was hoping I could use the rustoleum wheel primer and clear but for base I would use the duplicolor gs300 onxy black.
Mixing should be fine as long as it's one step. For example Brand X primer, Brand Y base...etc.

And don't listen to the haters. I got so sick of arguing with them. It was always the same powdercoating crowd with no solid data to back up their claims. Rhetorical question: If you curb rash a powdercoated wheel or a painted wheel the damage will be similar if not the same - but which one will be easier and cheaper to fix? Thought so.

If the proper process is followed, painted wheels are durable and look great. I ran painted wheels on my supercharged 4Runner in AZ for 6 years without an issue. And I took that thing off road all the time. Occasional rock dings were simply touched-up. When my business was up and running I had customers across the spectrum: brand new $50K trucks to a few Porsche owners mixed in. Sure, it scared me because I was trusting they would follow my technical guide, but out of 1K customers I had one complaint. That's a darn good ratio.

Good luck either way. Again, I like powdercoating! It's just not the best option for everyone.