GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Opinions needed: I'd like to keep my GS4

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-14, 06:49 PM
gtmax
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions needed: I'd like to keep my GS4

It's a 1999 with 136K miles. I know Toyota makes great engines and all but i've had some bad luck and had some problems. We have put in a lot of money so far, probably like 3-4 grand in total. Have a brand new suspension and everything now.

The latest problem is the Y pipe up front is messed up and, more crucially, the engine is leaking oil and i basically need a tune-up size work. My mechanic quoted me about 1,800$ for everything. Wife does NOT want to spend the money on it. But that's where Sewell and ClubLexus comes in.

side note: we had a GS300 '06 and were using the GS4 as a backup car or when we have to split up. Now we have a G37x that we're leasing, i miss the GS3, but I just love that old school GS4.

So i went on sewell and i can get most of the parts, as a service package, for 386$. The only thing that doesn't include are the Tensioner pulley, Valve cover gasket adn upper hose.

Now this should significantly bring down the total amount including labor. Now here's my dliemma:

On Ebay they are showing aftermarket parts for 87$. It seems that it covers all the parts that Sewell sells. So should i once again get OEM parts and hope nothing else breaks? Is it worth it for such an old car? Will these aftermarket parts hold up?

The seller is Domestic Gaskets, btw.

I'd appreciate any input at all. Maybe some of you have had to do the same?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-06-14, 08:44 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go to rockauto, they've got OEM and aftermarket.
Old 06-06-14, 10:19 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i do everything on my car except the alignment. definitely brings the price down.

theres nothing wrong with aftermarket parts. some parts are hit or miss on ebay. so many people kick and scream that ebay sells complete junk. that has not be my experience.

you got a list of stuff from ebay that youre getting?
Old 06-06-14, 10:25 PM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the part #'s from Sewell and you can usually find the oem parts on either Rockauto or Amazon for a lot cheaper.
Old 06-07-14, 12:35 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gtmax
It's a 1999 with 136K miles. I know Toyota makes great engines and all but i've had some bad luck and had some problems. We have put in a lot of money so far, probably like 3-4 grand in total. Have a brand new suspension and everything now.

The latest problem is the Y pipe up front is messed up and, more crucially, the engine is leaking oil and i basically need a tune-up size work. My mechanic quoted me about 1,800$ for everything. Wife does NOT want to spend the money on it. But that's where Sewell and ClubLexus comes in.

side note: we had a GS300 '06 and were using the GS4 as a backup car or when we have to split up. Now we have a G37x that we're leasing, i miss the GS3, but I just love that old school GS4.

So i went on sewell and i can get most of the parts, as a service package, for 386$. The only thing that doesn't include are the Tensioner pulley, Valve cover gasket adn upper hose.

Now this should significantly bring down the total amount including labor. Now here's my dliemma:

On Ebay they are showing aftermarket parts for 87$. It seems that it covers all the parts that Sewell sells. So should i once again get OEM parts and hope nothing else breaks? Is it worth it for such an old car? Will these aftermarket parts hold up?

The seller is Domestic Gaskets, btw.

I'd appreciate any input at all. Maybe some of you have had to do the same?

Thanks in advance!
I went on eBay a couple of months ago and got entire 90k miles service kit for under $300. It was ll OEM parts including timing belt, Aisin water pump, 2 valve cover gaskets, Toyota oil filter, 2 cam seals and 1 crank seal and a TB new tensioner. Unfortunately, I don't recall where I got the parts but I searched for "2jz timing belt kit". I know you are looking for GS4 parts. But you should be able to find something searching for " 1uz timing belt kit". Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-14, 02:42 PM
Lexusjg1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep it those Gs400's are nice cars.