GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need some help car has been dead a while

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-14, 06:46 PM
infosponge
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need some help car has been dead a while

Hi there this is my first post here at CL.
I've got a black 2000 Gs 300 that I've owned for 2 months, 6 weeks of that the car has been at the shop. I bought the car because it appeared to be in excellent condition the paint is excellent the interior is near mint black the engine bay was very clean, with no drips or stains that the eye could see, and complete service history. The car ran great for the first two weeks then one day I was driving about 55mph and then i accelerated causing it to drop a gear then accelerated to 90mph when the car lost power then wouldn't rev back up. That was the last time I drove the car. I took the car to a technician that specialized in Imports he said the car had no fuel pressure, and that problem took the majority of the time to be correctly diagnosed and fixed. I had to replace the fuel pump ECU and a new pump assembly in the process. Now the car has great fuel pressure, and starts but wont rev over 1500 rpms. The technician showed me where the valley where the plugs go into the head was filled with oil possibly shorting out the spark, so the valve cover gasket was replaced along with a new set of Denso plugs. Now we are in the progress of having a guy come flash the PCM because my technician is thinking that its faulty in some way partly because the car throws no code indicating an issue. The only known code was P0142 for an 02 sensor. The battery has been disconnected since then and the code hasn't returned. The technician said the only code being thrown was a body code related to the telescoping feature of the steering wheel.
My question is does this sound like a PCM issue or maybe something else the timing belt and water pump service have been done along with various other routine things.

Thanks for the help sorry to be long winded!
Old 03-13-14, 06:48 PM
infosponge
Driver School Candidate

Also is there a way to direct upload pics or am I stuck having to host?
Old 03-13-14, 09:52 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

Oil in the plug/valley area is norma this happen when poring oil and some spill to the side. Over time this built up. Unless it was a massive amount for him to suggest valve gasket. Did he show you how much oil was in there or leaked to the valve? Give or take if there was a lot of oil the car would run rough and idle rough. Did you experience this?

Replacing fuel pump but why the ECU? I never knew you could get a code for telescope steering before. I could be wrong. And flashing the PCM? Please go get a second opinion.

This is what I would of done if I was you, still not to late; buy a can CRC mass air sensor cleaner. Pop your hood open and look for the air sensor on your air box. It's held in place with two Screw. Spray the crc stuff and clean it. Buy a can of break cleaner and clean your throttle body. Spray the stuff on to a rag than clean the inside wall and the metal plate that is in there. Replacing plugs (which you already done). You don't have to but did you get the wires replaced too? NGK on amazon is $40 for the set.

To upload pics up top look got the "Photos" icon. You can upload you there.

Last edited by bigguppy; 03-13-14 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-14-14, 05:42 PM
infosponge
Driver School Candidate

I did see the oil pooled up where the spark plugs are, and was there when he pulled the first plug out for inspection. Did not get the wires replaced at the time. Also I tested the MAF sensor personally using the procedure outlined in the service manual and it passed.
The car ran smoothly until it began to stumble out and die. He said he knew a guy that could flash the PCM and reprogram/relearn it to the car and it might fix it. I can tell at this point he doesn't know whats causing this definitively but its gonna cost me at least another couple hundred just to move the car some where else and get it diagnosed. I don't really know where the best place to take vehicle locally is either.
Old 03-14-14, 07:16 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're going to spend a couple of hundred bucks, take it to the dealer. In this instance, it'll probably be cheaper in the long run rather than buying parts or having services you don't need. I'm not so sure about flashing the PCM either. I would want to know for sure that was the problem before I did that.
Old 03-14-14, 07:19 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I meant have it diagnosed at the dealer; have fixed some place cheaper once you find out what the real problem is.
Old 03-16-14, 05:29 PM
infosponge
Driver School Candidate

Yea Im gonna contact the local dealer Monday. I wonder if they'll be able to diagnose this issue effectively and quickly I don't wanna have that dealership labor start to rack up.