GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Strange noise inside cabin on cold start from my GS300

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-14, 08:06 PM
samysarena
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noise inside cabin on cold start from my GS300

Hello,

I am new to this community. Very recently purchased a GS300 2001 in South California. I know its not good to start up as member with issue query

Issue:
I am hearing a weird noise kind of some one turned on FM radio with no signal and it making krrrrrrrr kind of noise when I turn ignition on first time in morning. This noise continues for say about 15-30 secs and then everything is normal as if nothing happened.

Its not the noise from steering wheel column which kind of animates up down to come to its position every time I insert key and turn on.

I tried to search this forum before posting on this new thread. I also hear a video some user (Wingzero) posted on this I'm referring his youtube for expaining the exact issue. I could not find any solution mentioned on his thread finally so posting this.

Issue video for reference:
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...%2F6ZqG1t8pmB8

I would appreciate any help/tip/info for fixing this.

-Sam
Old 03-09-14, 08:15 PM
gsbs300
Driver

Sam-
It's your servo motors for your a/c.
There is four of them
One for driver
One for passenger
One for mode
And one for temp.

3 are behind the glove box,one is on the driver side.most people on here will tell you to replace them all at once but they are not cheap.the trick is finding which one is fried.if your a DIYer this will save you a lot of money.
Old 03-09-14, 10:32 PM
samysarena
Driver School Candidate

Hi gsbs300, thanks for heads up. I've been reading here and there on forums all pointing to some kind of servo motor issue. I'm not that expert to be DIY for this level of repair. How much could it cost if I take it for repair to some repair shop. A rough estimate will give me better idea. Also, I dont think that there is anything wrong with my temperature controls or Air conditioner, everything seem to be working as it should be.

Also, can I ignore this problem if its too expensive to repair or it could damage other things?

-Sam
Old 03-10-14, 09:47 AM
gsbs300
Driver

I'm not sure how much it would cost . I did mine according to the write up on here.its honestly not hard to do just take nimble hands and patience.sometimes they act up and the consequences don't show up till later. As far as ignoring it,yes you can ignore it and it won't hurt anything but if your like most on here the annoying sound will get to you.specially when friends ask WTF that noise is and you have to explain it everytime
Old 03-10-14, 07:01 PM
samysarena
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I agree on that part. I figured out the sound comes while I tried to change the Mode options. So it seem to be Mode servo. Apart from this I am hearing another weird tik tik kind of sound which is not this one. This one sounds like muffled pop corn. And am not being able to figure out where it comes from. It not even the seat belt reminder chime. its different.
The catch is that this noise intensity is very less as compared to servo motor noise. It can be heard when you turn the key to ON position. When I start the car it can't be heard that easily.
Any guess where could this sound be coming from.
Old 11-13-18, 04:45 PM
Motet
Driver School Candidate

Default Rx350 sound on cold start

Any ideas what those could be? Pulsating sound that only occurs when cold outside and comes from center of dash. Sound continues for a few seconds after car is shut off. I have taken to Lexus and they replaced servo but it didn't fix the issue.
Attached Files
Old 11-13-18, 06:11 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

The electronic brake booster on the master cyl may be pumping itself up. Mine does that in the morning and its a noticeable sound. You'll hear the motor turn on for about 10-15 seconds and shut off once the accumulator is sufficiently charged. May be what you are hearing.