GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Meet Someone Who Doesn't Care If the GS gets Keyed

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-02, 09:01 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Meet Someone Who Doesn't Care If the GS gets Keyed

what the heck? our gold GS (my dads) got keyed horizontally on the hood. light-moderate scratch extending from middle of hood in front (about 3-4 inches above grill, right above the L) to the right headlight (headlight is scratched too). It is manmade for sure because it's wavy like that, so i know nothing fell from the heavens and just "hit it". Come on pops, care a little more about the car maybe? he "doesnt know how, who, where he got it" and doesnt really care its scratched, other than "oh well". I was really mad when someone took the paint off the rear door of my ES, and i am a bit more outraged than my dad about this incident. he really has no intentions to get it fixed (i will probably end up buffing it out, i cant stand that it will just sit there, scratched. it is mostly clear coat scratch, and get a 2000+grit to do headlight). He probably doesnt care cuz he has his eyes on a 2003 GS. dad, can we trade cars?
Old 12-29-02, 09:14 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is perhaps my second biggest worry (next to door dings) when leaving my GS unattended/parked.

I know how you feel, but in a way...I wish I were more like your dad, he'll probably live a lot longer with that attitude. Just sucks goose *****.

There's always someone on the prowl , looking for nice cars to desecrate. Many jealous and mean-spirited people out there. If you believe in Karma (Karma Kramer? ) then you know they'll get theirs someday.
Old 12-29-02, 09:27 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Guitarman
This is perhaps my second biggest worry (next to door dings) when leaving my GS unattended/parked.

I know how you feel, but in a way...I wish I were more like your dad, he'll probably live a lot longer with that attitude. Just sucks goose *****.

There's always someone on the prowl , looking for nice cars to desecrate. Many jealous and mean-spirited people out there. If you believe in Karma (Karma Kramer? ) then you know they'll get theirs someday.
how in the world do people with ferrarris park ANYWHERE? or maybe if you have that much money you really dont care anymore. sounds a bit weird, but i "feel" for cars.
btw-whats the paint code for the gold color they made for 2000 GS's? just in case
Old 12-29-02, 09:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally posted by meZoom!
how in the world do people with ferrarris park ANYWHERE?
They don't park 'anywhere' they valet the car and tell the guy park is RIGHT OUT FRONT and of course the place obliges.
Old 12-29-02, 09:35 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,100 Likes on 990 Posts
Default Re: Meet Someone Who Doesn't Care If the GS gets Keyed

Originally posted by meZoom!
what the heck? our gold GS (my dads) got keyed horizontally on the hood. light-moderate scratch extending from middle of hood in front (about 3-4 inches above grill, right above the L) to the right headlight (headlight is scratched too). It is manmade for sure because it's wavy like that, so i know nothing fell from the heavens and just "hit it". Come on pops, care a little more about the car maybe? he "doesnt know how, who, where he got it" and doesnt really care its scratched, other than "oh well". I was really mad when someone took the paint off the rear door of my ES, and i am a bit more outraged than my dad about this incident. he really has no intentions to get it fixed (i will probably end up buffing it out, i cant stand that it will just sit there, scratched. it is mostly clear coat scratch, and get a 2000+grit to do headlight). He probably doesnt care cuz he has his eyes on a 2003 GS. dad, can we trade cars?
When I am with my young adult children, I do my best to control my temper, specially when it would be just venting. ON the other hand they know that I do care about the cars as I spend endless hours taking care of them.

Salim
Old 12-29-02, 09:59 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just the other night, my wife and I walked out of the mall to get to our car, parked waaaaaaaaaayyyyy out by itself in the boonies of the lot, and as we walked past the first few cars, I spotted a brand new 750iL parked in very close proximity to the usual grocery getters. I remarked about it to my wife (who is also very picky about where the GS gets parked ) and we just shook our head. That Bimmer will no doubt have some door dings in short order with that kind of casual parking approach. But they probably don't care. Life really would be a lot less stressful if I could take that attitude. I think youve either got it or you don't.

I could pay a shrink a lot to get it, but then...I might as well as pay the body shop instead and bank the rest.
Old 12-29-02, 11:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

I used to care about whether a car got dinged or not, but now I don't care. In the end it's just a car. Fun, definitely, but I won't die if the car is trashed. The only unhappiness from it getting dinged or bashed will ultimately be up to me.
Old 12-30-02, 01:00 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

My Lex got keyed the very first day that i got it. I parked it outside at night on my college campus. You cant imagine how angry and upset i was. Had to repaint almost the whole driver's side of the car.

My father's car is keyed on both sides. His response: I dont care, its just a piece of metal.
Old 12-30-02, 01:30 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Guitarman
Just the other night, my wife and I walked out of the mall to get to our car, parked waaaaaaaaaayyyyy out by itself in the boonies of the lot, and as we walked past the first few cars, I spotted a brand new 750iL parked in very close proximity to the usual grocery getters. I remarked about it to my wife (who is also very picky about where the GS gets parked ) and we just shook our head. That Bimmer will no doubt have some door dings in short order with that kind of casual parking approach. But they probably don't care. Life really would be a lot less stressful if I could take that attitude. I think youve either got it or you don't.

I could pay a shrink a lot to get it, but then...I might as well as pay the body shop instead and bank the rest.
Yah, we do the same thing, the Lex goes ay out in the back with one side against a curb or island. It's like the more expensive or nice ur car is, the more someone wants to mess with it.
Old 12-30-02, 02:14 AM
Copout221
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate the fact that I worry about my car so much when I park it but I guess it is something that I will one day have to accept. At least I am not the only one who cares about his car so much !!! Yes, it is just a piece of metal but it is my piece of metal and I cannot stand people who disrespect other peoples property !!!

Last edited by Copout221; 12-30-02 at 02:15 AM.
Old 12-30-02, 04:11 PM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check this out.... Coming out of the mall parking lot a year ago, I saw a group (4) of guys, basically beating the crap out this one dude. Recognizing one of them as one of my friend's little brother, I pull over and berate him about getting in dumb trouble. Turns out the dude had keyed one of their cars, and got CAUGHT red handed, keying the hood, and walking away. After hearing that, I said "Kick his A$$!" LOL Actually, I broke it up, because he really was messed up. And get this.... the "beaten up" dude did not know the guy whose car he keyed. He was just being a d**k, saw a clean car with rims, and decided HE needed to do some paint scheme adjustments! For no other reasonm but hating!
Old 12-30-02, 05:00 PM
Ira Senoff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Copout221
I hate the fact that I worry about my car so much when I park it but I guess it is something that I will one day have to accept. At least I am not the only one who cares about his car so much !!! Yes, it is just a piece of metal but it is my piece of metal and I cannot stand people who disrespect other peoples property !!!
I am right there with you. I bought a new turbo supra back in 1989 and did tons and tons of work to it, some kid one night (in 1991 or 92) keyed every damn panel on the car. After I was sick about it for about a day, I looked on the brighter side - I got to have my favorite body shop re-do the car properly - awesome re-paint and I did some minor modifications to the body at that time on the insurance company's dime - I am a "glass half full" kinda guy.

Of course, that didn't stop me from beating the tar out of the kid - after all, it is my damn car he keyed.....