GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New to Club Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-12, 09:24 AM
Buhrt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks sick so far! what exactly did you do to get your headlights so clear? mine look pretty much like yours did before you cleared them up and i've been having a really hard time getting them to look much better.
Old 12-04-12, 09:29 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I wish i had time and space for an interior swap. Plus an extra daily during the down time. Looks GREAT!
Old 12-04-12, 03:46 PM
808GS3000
Rookie

Originally Posted by Buhrt
looks sick so far! what exactly did you do to get your headlights so clear? mine look pretty much like yours did before you cleared them up and i've been having a really hard time getting them to look much better.
I usually wet sand at 400 then 600 grit, then lay a few coats of clear. Wetstand until it is all hazy, then clean and dry. Spray light coats of clear on the first two then you can go heavy just make sure you don't run. Let me know if you have any questions. Other methods are rubbing compound, some people even use toothpaste but it doesn't really have protection like clear coat.

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
I wish i had time and space for an interior swap. Plus an extra daily during the down time. Looks GREAT!
Where theres a will, theres a way! Lol. I actually had the LS400 down for a while because I needed to renew registration and pass safety check (Something like smog but they just do a full check up on the car in Hawaii). I use the GS daily so at one point I was actually driving with just the dash, center console, steering wheel and the drivers seat. Turned a lot of heads and got stopped by the security guard at school lol. Told him I was fixing the car.
Old 12-04-12, 09:17 PM
veron1987
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 808GS3000
I usually wet sand at 400 then 600 grit, then lay a few coats of clear. Wetstand until it is all hazy, then clean and dry. Spray light coats of clear on the first two then you can go heavy just make sure you don't run. Let me know if you have any questions. Other methods are rubbing compound, some people even use toothpaste but it doesn't really have protection like clear coat.

Does rubbing compound work??
Old 12-05-12, 05:03 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

What a great job bro... I would try this but knowing me I'll screw it up lol.. U honesty not even tell it was tan...

Great job..
Old 12-05-12, 07:45 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

bro, you need to do a DIY for he headliner.. i wanna do mines suede too!! ..you're beginning was like my intro. brought my gs from the dealership and bagged it right away with no hesitation. but i stopped there =( lol ..great progess... can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 12-05-12, 07:56 PM
808GS3000
Rookie

Thanks guys, I will do a DIY on the headliner in a week or two. I believe there was already a thread on a DIY but I don't mind sharing a few tips. Especially getting the headliner and sunroof out. Tackling finals with school this week and next week then I have all the time in the world! Lol finally.
Old 12-05-12, 07:57 PM
808GS3000
Rookie

Originally Posted by veron1987
Does rubbing compound work??
Rubbing compound, elbow grease and a microfiber cloth will do wonders. Simply rub it on with pressure you'll see the oxidation being removed.
Old 12-05-12, 08:07 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks guys, I will do a DIY on the headliner in a week or two. I believe there was already a thread on a DIY but I don't mind sharing a few tips. Especially getting the headliner and sunroof out. Tackling finals with school this week and next week then I have all the time in the world! Lol finally.

yeah my concern was getting it out. other than that, i've used 3m spray glue in the past on headliners and it held up great. thanks in advance
Old 12-05-12, 11:22 PM
Revive
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow really like the car! Never see it around though. Oahu? Please don't repaint in another color that'd be a shame.
Old 12-06-12, 08:34 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

i like the interior change especially on the SBM but i would be concerned with it fading/rubbing off as all dye's/paints eventually eventually will do

yeah we do already have a DIY as you said

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pictures.html

might just be easier to add your tips to it....i have removed my sunroof a few times including the suede the slide part. the first time i tried it with no help which was almost impossible to safely do as this this is heavy and bulky to move around , eventually gave up and had the GF help me. putting it back up is also a PITA
Old 12-06-12, 03:12 PM
iGotSwag
Rookie

Welcome! Love someone that gets right to work! Cars looking good, whats your plans for new shoes? (:
Old 12-06-12, 04:19 PM
808GS3000
Rookie

Got the inspiration from a fellow member here. I do not recommend doing the seats because I believe they are not meant for leather (GMC BLACK) even if it says its for leather. I did this for fun because I had Clazzio covers on the way. The rest of the car has been taking a beating for three months from children and friends that hop along for rides. If you guys need an absolute proof of how durable it is I can make a video scratching it with different things......

I understand it is a LEXUS but cmon guys....if it was worth $20K+ I would definitely not SPRAY PAINT OR DYE anything on the car. The car is getting old and a lot of the interiors come in TAN. This was just an option that I decided to try out. I understand people will bash on it because it is spray painted but its what I wanted and I used decent material, its not like I went to walmart and tried out a flat black Krylon paint.... These things are pretty expensive for a can. (SEM)

I am not trying to enter car shows or building to make it onto a magazine/features, I am just customizing my car to my liking and to restore it. I will take high quality photos this weekend with my dslr...

Here is the link for the DIY I got my motivation from.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...black-sem.html

Last edited by 808GS3000; 12-06-12 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-06-12, 04:21 PM
808GS3000
Rookie

Originally Posted by Revive
Wow really like the car! Never see it around though. Oahu? Please don't repaint in another color that'd be a shame.
Wouldn't mind meeting a few GS300 owners on the island, I am from the leeward area, in Ewa beach most of the time but I am also in town at Chaminade everyday. Should go to the next CL cruise at pearl city, let me know if you are down :thumb up: I wouldn't mind checking it out.
Old 12-06-12, 04:24 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Got the inspiration from a fellow member here. I do not recommend doing the seats because I believe they are not meant for leather (GMC BLACK) even if it says its for leather. I did this for fun because I had Clazzio covers on the way. The rest of the car has been taking a beating for three months from children and friends that hop along for rides. If you guys need an absolute proof of how durable it is I can make a video scratching it with different things......

I understand it is a LEXUS but cmon guys....if it was worth $20K+ I would definitely not SPRAY PAINT OR DYE anything on the car. The car is getting old and a lot of the interiors come in TAN. This was just an option that I decided to try out. I understand people will bash on it because it is spray painted but its what I wanted and I used decent material, its not like I went to walmart and tried out a flat black Krylon paint.... These things are pretty expensive for a can. (SEM)

I am not trying to enter car shows or building to make it onto a magazine/features, I am just customizing my car to my liking and to restore it. I will take high quality photos this weekend with my dslr...

Here is the link for the DIY I got my motivation from.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...black-sem.html

Great job and thanks for sharing your project....no bashing here bro.

Pete

Quick Reply: New to Club Lexus