GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY: How to Upholster Headliner & Pillars in Black Ultra-Suede w/Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-09, 09:29 PM
GS400Jay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: How to Upholster Headliner & Pillars in Black Ultra-Suede w/Pictures

New to the forum. Hope my first post goes over well.

I always wondered why most cars that I’ve had usually had lighter headliners than the rest of the car. This happens on a lot of newer model cars; for instance – on my 335i the interior was saddle Dakota on black trim and the headliner was grey…WTF??! – I bought my GS and the entire bottom half of the interior is super black and the upper – grey!

So I perused the forum and saw a couple of people get their headliners done in suede etc. I asked around about the price they paid; work involved and got a couple of local quotes at upholstery shops. Then I just decided one day that I’d do it myself.

I didn’t detail this in super extreme detail.

How to “reupholster your headliner and interior pillars” in ultrasuede:

Tools:

- Ultra-Suede Black Fabric - $19.99/yd by 6yds - $120.00 (I got a sweet deal on this)
- ¼” Ratchet - $20.00
- ¼” Extension if needed - $10.00
- 14 mm socket (I use longer tapered sockets to make it easier on myself) - $10.00
- Flat head screwdriver with tape on the ends or you can pick up some trim removal tools. - $4.00
- Phillips screwdriver - $4.00
- Metal/Magnetic Bowl for bolts and screws - $10.00
- Flashlight optional - $5.00
- Heat gun - $25.00
- (2) 3M Super Trim Adhesive (any ‘super hold’ or ‘headliner’ glue will do) -$19.99/ea
- Duplicolor Flat Black Vinyl Paint - $7.00
- Double Edge Gillette Razor Blades (These are the best) - $10.00
- X-Acto Trim Knife - $10.00

*I suggest you unplug your battery – your doors will be open all of the time. Make sure you wear gloves, and use a well ventilated area!

1. First step is to realize what you’re about to do. You’re about the redo the entire headliner and pillars in Ultra-Suede. This isn’t a modification that takes a few hours. It takes a couple of weeks (took me about 3) since I didn’t work on it full time between my job and my life. The upholstery needs time to dry; some parts need to be trimmed; and others need to be painted in vinyl paint then cleared.

2. Now we’re going to take a look at it all. This is what we’re going to take out and redo in Black Ultrasuede

3. Here’s our tools so far:

4. Next step is to remove the upper center console pictured here:

To do this we just pull down here (for those of you that have never removed this you’ll have to remove the light reflector that’s pictured – just slide your screwdriver up and gently pry; once it falls out there will be a couple of screws to remove).

5. Next we need to remove the homelink console; simply we’re just going to slide the screwdriver up in there and pry it out gently and it will fall out and you’ll have to unclip it from its harness; then remove the screws as shown.

6. Now the entire assembly should be easily pulled out if it hasn’t fallen out yet. There are a couple of connectors that need to be unclipped as shown and you should have a bunch of connectors:

The next step should have been to remove the sunroof motor; but since my car didn’t come with one because the previous owner took it out since it went bad and never replaced it I can’t show you how to remove it but its very simple; just a couple of screws just make sure that the gears and plastic gear holds don’t move.

7. Next the visors will come off; first pull them down and remove the caps on the far right and left of each visor as shown; then remove those screws as shown. Then we’re going to just pull the visor out of the clip that holds it and straight down to expose the harness. Unclip it and remove the visors. Repeat this step on both sides of the vehicle.

8. Next we’re going to have to remove the holding clips for the visor. First remove the screw as show then bring your flathead up through the front and into the slot then push forward and upward gently to remove. Repeat this step on both sides of the vehicle.

9. Next we’ll remove the front pillars as shown place your screw driver at the point I placed mine on the pillar then gently try to pry it out. Once pryed out you can then just pull the pillar straight up. Repeat this step on both sides of the vehicle.

10. Next we remove the seatbelt or side pillars; this is pretty simple. Basically you’ll place your screwdriver towards the top of the panel and pry it outward gently; then place it on the sides and pry out. Next you’ll need to remove the lower part of the pillar panel but not completely as shown. There will be two screws behind the pillar remove those. This will be done on both sides of the vehicle.

Last edited by GS400Jay; 12-11-09 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-11-09, 09:30 PM
GS400Jay
Driver School Candidate

11. The seatbelt removal from the seat needs to be done now. You should plug your battery back up so you can pull the seat forward because you’ll need to access this compartment as shown. Pry the cover off with your flat head screwdriver and then you’ll look straight inside and see the 14mm bolt that needs to be removed as shown. Once the bolt is out you’ll just gently pull up on the belt and it comes out.

12. Next the rear pillars get removed; place the flat head where I did and pry outward gently then pull the panel towards you and then out. Repeat this step on both sides of the vehicle.

13. The next step is easy as pie; we’re going to have to remove the upper rear passenger side and driver side dome lights. To do this you’ll have to pull down on the hanger clip and then locate the screw inside and then unscrew it. Once it is removed just gently tug on the light and it should fall out. Unclip the harness and repeat this step on both sides of the vehicle.

14. Next and final removal of parts is the upper handle bars. This is done by using your flat head as show to remove the screw caps; then remove the screws and just pull out on the handle. Make sure you don’t lose these parts.

15. Now you can just pull down on the liner and it should fall out. Now this part gets a bit tricky because I couldn’t take pictures as I did the removal myself. You will have to easily and gently try to pull it out of the rear driver side passenger door. It’s pretty hard but definitely doable. Don’t worry if you bend the headliner a bit, just try not to rip it. Contrary to what anyone tells you; you don’t need to remove the seats or the windshields.

Important Note: The sunroof liner isn’t removed here. This took me A LOT of time to figure out how to remove and I was so pissed because I didn’t have a camera handy to take pics or anyone to help me out. But basically you’ll need to remove all of the 10mm bolts that hold the sunroof up. Then remove the drain hoses; Then towards the back of the sunroof tray there are a couple of screws you need to remove. The tray holding the cover will then drop down and the cover will then be easily removed. Again I don’t have pics of this but if anyone wants to take them for me I can show you how to get it out.

16. Now that my liner is removed I decided to lay out my pieces onto the ultra suede so I can cut to fit.

17. Then I layed out and fitted the ultra suede to my headliner although its not glued yet.

18. Now I’m ready to glue; I did not remove the old grey liner because it comes backed with really thin foam. The glue will not stick bare plastic to the ultra suede. Ask me how I know. Here is where I started to glue and trim the pieces to fit; basically you spray section then pull and smooth out. Check out how I trimmed the back of each pillar below. My dad helped me here as he used to build furniture and has wrapped fabric around furniture before he mentioned to me that the cuts are made so that the fabric can be pulled tightly without any bulges.

19. Now you see the headliner done and glued and ready to trim. You trim using the tools below. It is fairly simple.

Old 12-11-09, 09:30 PM
GS400Jay
Driver School Candidate

20. Quick picture of some of the parts that need to be trimmed. You can also cut an X in it and then remove as much as you need when the parts you removed are reinstalled.

21. Now the next parts are either optional or not. I decided to paint all of my grey trim in vinyl paint from Autozone. You prep the plastic by sanding it from 150 to 250 to 320 to 600 and finish lightly with 1000 grit sand paper. Then lightly coat the parts and let it dry. Once dry apply a few coats of MATTE clearcoat. I did this to all of the grey trim and I had my Dad sew some ultrasuede covers for the handles

(Pictures will be up soon of the finished product installed in my car)

22. I then figured I would wrap my handrest; suede on black leather sides shown below

23. Finished Product Installed!

(Pictures will be up soon)

Notes:

1. Have a helper; pay a crackhead or get your girlfriend or wife to help you with removal and install.

2. The glue dries fast. So work in small areas.

3. None of my plastic tabs on the back of all of my trim pieces broke, None of them. If your clips break make 100% sure you don’t buy aftermarket Advance or Autozone clips because only the OEM ones will fit in the holes 100%

4. Don’t remove the grey, or tan backing on trim pieces

5. If you rip your headliner; just tape the backside and apply a THIN coat of epoxy to the area.

6. When painting pieces make sure you sand and then wipe down with isopropyl alcohol and be sure to let the paint cure.

7. A sharpie works great on some spots..lol.

If you’re local or need help just PM me, I’d be more than happy to help. Again I am not a professional; and this is my first time ever doing this. It was well worth the finished product.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-12-09 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Check your pm
Old 12-11-09, 09:32 PM
GS400Jay
Driver School Candidate

Reserved for me as well too
Old 12-11-09, 10:18 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

That looks flippin' sweet! Extra kudos for the matching arm rest.
Old 12-11-09, 11:12 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Great DIY and Welcome to CL.. You may get some calls on this from members wanting you to help LOL.. pics look great.. nice job..
Old 12-12-09, 12:31 AM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

wow suede top sounds like a great idea. great DIY
Old 12-12-09, 05:58 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

I want to do this but this will be waaay down the road. Glad you posed this DIY and great pictures. Welcome to CL!!
Old 12-12-09, 06:08 AM
Temptation
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write-ups with clear details and pictures........more rep points to you Jay !!
Old 12-12-09, 07:33 AM
young's 96
Lead Lap

This is great cant wait to see the finished product maybe I'll do this soon myself.
Old 12-12-09, 07:33 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

I'll probably be doing this soon to match my door panels, thanks for the write up!
Old 12-12-09, 10:51 AM
Laydout430
Driver

thats ecatly how my car was also-black on bottom and grey up top so i did mine in black suede also-i love it good write on it though.

i didnt do my arm rest but i might now-looks good, i have to go back and redo a few pieces I painted do to wear and tear-visor clips started to chip. I'll post pics of mine later even though it is exactly like yours, I have had mine for about 3-4 yrs now and still looks awesome.

Last edited by Laydout430; 12-12-09 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-12-09, 11:17 AM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job on the DIY!
Old 12-12-09, 11:27 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome first post. You are definitely a great addition to the forum. What's next?
Old 12-12-09, 12:59 PM
GS400Jay
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the comments and support guys and possibly gals..haha!

I dont have access to a digital camera as I can't find mine at the moment but I should have pictures of the finished product and painted trim this coming week.

To the comments about the arm rest -- its a give or take thing. My leather was a bit worn and after looking for weeks for a replacement I decided against a new armrest from the dealer; figured I'd just try it out on the arm rest and it looks great. You can also use the left over fabric as liners for your center console; glove box etc.

I didn't do my rear deck where the subwoofer sits because it's already black.

Some other things I'm working on/have already done are:

1. CarPC: I'm about 80% there; just need to finalize some plans. Basically I'll be running all my audio; video; wireless internet using my iphone; gps and navigation with bluetooth through a 7" double din touchscreen monitor. Going to run all new wiring and leave the stock wiring in so I can hook up a basic mp3/cd player in the glovebox for short trips.

2. Audio: full MB Quart gear with component speakers in front and rear; two MB quart subs: two MB Quart amps.

3. Custom trunk with false floor and wall to house all the subwoofer, amps, and pc/laptop.

4. Coolant flush / Transmission flush / Spark plug/coil pack replacement (already done just need to find time to write it up).

5. SRT intake/ecu install without any splicing or cutting and custom heatshield
(already done just need to find time to write it up).

6. e55 projector in high beam with tsx projector in low beam and custom mounted projector fogs.

7. Suspension reinstall of almost every component that includes a 'joint'..lol. Also going to get some coilovers instead of my L-tuned setup so I can adjust it. (already done lower ball joints and tie rods just need to find time to write it up).

8. Forgot; car needs to be repainted and thats going to be done soon as well as Motor work coming up..can't be all show and no go :P

I've modified cars before; and the GS is by far the most comfortable & easiest and its fast to boot!

-Jay

Last edited by GS400Jay; 12-12-09 at 01:03 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY: How to Upholster Headliner & Pillars in Black Ultra-Suede w/Pictures