GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My wife wants me to trade in my baby

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-02, 03:54 AM
dnguyen_GS430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My wife wants me to trade in my baby

My wife and I got invited to the preview at Magnussen Lexus in Fremont, Ca today and now she wants me to trade in my GS430 for the GX470. We are in a market for a SUV for our upcoming family. But to give up my baby is hard. What do you CL member think? any ideas?

I really like both but only can choose one....Tough decision.

Thanks
Old 12-04-02, 04:03 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

D...if i ever need/want an SUV, it would be a 2nd or 3rd car in the garage...really depends on your personal/budget situation...and this is the question that you would need to answer...

good luck
Old 12-04-02, 04:09 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

If I had a GS430...
I'd be...

OVER MY FRIGGIN DEAD BODY!

But that's only me.

Last edited by ChronoJ1; 12-04-02 at 04:09 AM.
Old 12-04-02, 04:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

try to make the gx your second ride besides the gs. personally i wouldn't use a suv as my daily drive
Old 12-04-02, 04:17 AM
gsfour
Pole Position

Default keep it

Damn! How come I wasn't invited? I bought a GS400 from them too!!!

Seriously though, I'd keep the GS430, especially since you put alot into it. The GX470 is a very nice package, but I still think the GS is king for Lexus, especially when you make it your own.

As for your upcoming family, I would get a minivan or wagon that's not too pricey. It's going to get beat up...believe me! You don't want to get a brand new GX470 beaten up so quickly do you? (shoe marks, cheerios, juice, etc.. all over the place). That way you can keep you GS430 pristine clean. This is ithe way I have done it and I recommend it to you.

Of course this is a more expensive route and not to mention less appealing to your wife probably. But if you get...let's say a nice minivan like an Odyssey with a DVD player...perhaps she won't be too disappointed.

Anyways, good luck with your decision...I mean you and your wife's decision.
Old 12-04-02, 06:43 AM
fboukari
Lead Lap

My wife wanted me to get a Volvo when she was expecting. I was driving a 2month old
Audi TT so keeping that car was not an option. I think buying a Volvo when you live in Sweden is one of the most boring thing you can do. From my window right now I can see three cars two of them are Volvos. So I bought a Lexus GS 300. The main drawback is that the Lexus has got the most out of date trunk I’ve ever seen on a new car. The wheels are taking up to much space from the trunk so when I take the perambulator with me I have to store the upper half of the perambulator in the front seat! Very uncool and to much hassle. As long it’s only uncomfortable for me and not my other baby, It’s a small price to pay for driving the car that I really want. Another thing, If your car is has no tint and is looking like a pimp is driving it might look ridicules when you are using it as a family car.
/Fredric
Old 12-04-02, 08:07 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Why not a used RX for a few years?? Not as big or as AWD capable as the GX, but certainly more than adequate. We've got 2 boys, currently 5.5 and 8 yrs, and the RX has worked fine for us since new. I have to put a little more work into it than the GS, esp when the boyos were a little younger, but my wife feels pretty much the same way that I do as far as letting cars get trashed. So, at 4.5 yrs and 50k miles, the RX still shines!!! And if you get one of the later models with an interior color other than Ivory, the interior will be that much easier to deal with........

Good luck, and congratulations to you and expectant mom!!! Life will be different, but it'll be great!!!
Old 12-04-02, 08:30 AM
altaf
Pole Position

Take gsfour's advice:
I would get a minivan or wagon that's not too pricey. It's going to get beat up...believe me! You don't want to get a brand new GX470 beaten up so quickly do you? (shoe marks, cheerios, juice, etc.. all over the place). That way you can keep you GS430 pristine clean.
Old 12-04-02, 09:13 AM
ClaudiG
Driver

I have to say NO!
If my b-friend ever wanted me to trade in my 400 I'd say NO WAY. Having a SUV is nice but having a 400 - there's no comparison.
I agree, a SUV would have to be a 2nd or 3rd car.
However, there's nothing wrong with the 430 for a family car!
Good luck
Old 12-04-02, 12:40 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Now is the time to be practical (yeah, you have the GS already ! ) For a starting family, the baby won't need that much space the GX offers. Get a used RX for her. It's easier to load/unload baby stuff from the RX than from the GX. It's easier on Gas, easier to drive, easier to spill baby matters on the seats and carpets, easier to clean as it is smaller, I really don't know what you need the GX for when a used RX should do the job just fine. And then, you can keep the GS as a second car (you don't want to have just one car in the family with a baby, trust me!!!)

Trading in the GS is a SERIOUS matter!
Old 12-04-02, 12:40 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Ouch! If you get rid of your GS [looks like yours is nicely modded] you will forever regret your decision. On the other hand, if you keep it your wife may make you forever regret your decision.

If this is your first kid, you have no idea of the sheer destruction and abuse they can and will dish out. I agree with the advice provided thus far [freely given and worth what you paid]... Keep your GS and get a used minivan or a used RX.
Old 12-04-02, 01:47 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd suggest to your wife to re-visit this whole GX idea since the GX is a new vehicle for Lexus.

My rule of thumb is never buy a 1st year model....even if its a Lexus. 1st year models tend to have recalls and TSB up the ying-yang.

I can understand your wife wanting a BIG and SAFE ride for your newborn.... what parent wouldn't want that...right?

But let's be realistic here.....why the GX? The GX didnt win any awards that I'm aware of.....Motor Trend SUV of the Year.....NOPE!! I'm sure the Lexus salesman put something in her head about the GX....and now your stuck in this situation.

Keep the GS430. If she really want the GX, I'd suggest you lease it, or get a CPO RX.....a proven winner for Lexus (and a Motor Trend SUV of the Year winner).

Just my 2 cents.

Pete

Last edited by PHML; 12-04-02 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-04-02, 02:15 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Do what I just did....repossess the GS from your wife (so it is officially yours) and buy her a new Honda Pilot (good bang for your money, rated 5 star crash test).

I know, I know, I know.... I am a no good husband. (she hates the GS anyway since I have made it uncomfortable and noisy)

Old 12-04-02, 04:01 PM
joewoz2001
Driver

the decision is simple!! Keep the Gs430, buy the Gx470!!!!!
Old 12-04-02, 05:42 PM
dnguyen_GS430
Driver

Thanks for all the great advices. I really enjoyng driving my GS4 and it's heart break if I have to let it go. My wife already have a RX300 Silver Sport. The reason she wants me to trade in for the GX is that I will drive the baby more if we go out.

I guess what a man got to do what a man got to do. Mark my words! I will keep my GS and hopefully will get the next model LX. Believe it or not. My wife have never driven my GS ever since I got the car. She said my car is too loud for the baby and too bumpy...

Again my CL friends, I really appreciate all the advices and comments. I'm not given up this fight easily.
Attached Thumbnails My wife wants me to trade in my baby-dscf0006.jpg  

Quick Reply: My wife wants me to trade in my baby