GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need some help fast!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-12, 03:41 AM
handoverfi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help fast!!!

well this morning my car alarm starts to go off for some odd reason around 2am. I just look out the window and start to hear this loud clicking noise. i didnt know where that sound was coming from it was so loud i could hear it inside my house. i thought i was something else so i went back to sleep.

so im getting ready to go to work and i hear that click sound coming from my car. it just kept going click click click etc. it would click fast then slow then sometimes stop then start it all over again. so when i put my key in the ignition it would start, big surprise there ,

i open the hood to see if i can see something but i dont see anything at all. but at the same time i smelled something burning slightly. I thought maybe the starter and maybe that clicking noise is coming from there.

only thing that i got done on my car in the last few months was removed the air bags and rim and got a harness installed on my quad foglights. But i dont have any fender lining to protect that harness where the foglights are. And its been raining. so i thinking that could have caused something to go wrong. but that has nothing to do with the starter so i dont know.

any help here guy. i disconnected the ground from the battery so that clicking noise would start. i need some help fast guys. i have no car right now

EDIT*
I forgt to say all this clicking noise is happening while the key isn't in the ignition and when it is the click goes away but when I turn the key to turn the car on I have no response like the battery is dead which I'm sure it is! I'm going to jump start it to see what's going on later.

Last edited by handoverfi; 01-10-12 at 04:15 AM.
Old 01-10-12, 09:03 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Your starter contacts are stuck.
Old 01-10-12, 09:45 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yea, the loudest thing that would click without the car running would be the starter.
Old 01-10-12, 09:46 AM
runyun
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to try harder and see where the clicking is coming from.
If its the starter area, I would assume that.

You mentioned you recently installed foglights. Checked the relays for them?

Since you heard it from inside your house - like they said, most likely starter.
Old 01-10-12, 09:49 AM
Rob Daddy
Lead Lap

Sounds like the starter. I had this happen to me about 2 years ago. You did the right thing by disconnecting the battery. i have heard about a fire starting from the starter continuously trying to engage.
Old 01-10-12, 09:59 AM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe someone was trying to steal it after all hahah
Old 01-10-12, 10:48 AM
handoverfi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NEbiker10
maybe someone was trying to steal it after all hahah
man thers been alot of theft and break in in cars lately in my area. but i got the battery fully charged and put it back in the car the clicking stopped but still would not start. you can see and hear the motor barely crank or turn. then it just kinda goes dead.

but what i dont understand what made the alarm go off. and what connection does that have with the starter.

i got a new starter already, i have a friend coming to tow it to my shop. so hopefully things will be back online later this evening! i just hate wasting days like this for car problems missed work and spent like 500 at least
Old 01-11-12, 12:04 PM
handoverfi
Pole Position

well now the shop told me since they put the new starter in. the motor turns over but now the starter keeps spinning i dont know wtf is the deal. maybe the start relay? or something is keeping the crossed in the relay pin to keep the starter running.

a guy i worked with tells me its either a bad starter or the wrong starter

any idea guys?