GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need Help -- RF side -- front end noise is bad

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-11, 07:05 PM
bonson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need Help -- RF side -- front end noise is bad

1999 GS300
got a very loud clanking noise coming from behind right front wheel when turning (even turning just a small hair).
[ For comparison: It sounds like the metal dust shield behind the rotor is loose and hitting the wheel - thats the kind of clanking noise to compare to.] but its not loose or hitting and no signs of nothing scraping the wheel.
If you jack up the car the noise is completely gone . car must be planted on the ground to hear it.
I just pulled off the wheel and can find nothing visible.
I put wheel back on and left lug nuts loose and still loud clanking.
so I pulled wheel off again. nothing visible. no change to the above situation

I need to get the car going so maybe someone has had this before to guide me on this

Last edited by bonson; 10-21-11 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-21-11, 07:17 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When I had a clanking noise coming from my front end I replaced my LBJ's and my outer tie rods and it was gone after that.. When I got my LBJ's checked prior to changing my mechanic said they were giving a little play.. So that may be what you're experiencing also.. Maybe check your LBJ's?
Old 10-21-11, 07:22 PM
bonson
Driver School Candidate

ok possible. is there some way I can check the lower ball joints myself?
My previous experience with bal joints was another car and it was a popping noise when turning.

I had an alignement not to long ago and the only thing was "eventually" i have a rubber bushing going on one end of a lower control arm on that same side of car but thats not the clanking
Old 10-22-11, 06:57 AM
oslouie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like upper strut mount but don't quote me on that. The same thing happened to my wife's Altima when you turn the steering wheel, it would creak. You're going to want to check your wheel bearing too.
Old 10-22-11, 09:59 AM
Hypebeast
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by oslouie
Sounds like upper strut mount but don't quote me on that. The same thing happened to my wife's Altima when you turn the steering wheel, it would creak. You're going to want to check your wheel bearing too.
I have a terrible creaking noise whenever I turn my wheel at a low speed (or from a stop) coming from the front passenger side wheel well. How do you fix this if it's the upper strut mount?
Old 10-22-11, 10:38 AM
bonson
Driver School Candidate

well I'm thinking something with ball joint or tie rod or bearing then as noise seems to be coming from the center or lower area back inside from the wheel area.
I will just have to take it in just not sure where to take it to here in San Antonio area. I need to also have the existing caster issue solved also so would like to find a suspension specialty shop and not have top pay dealer prices.
Old 10-22-11, 04:39 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

So it's when the wheel is rotating and when you turn the steering wheel? But not when you lift the car and spin the wheel. I'm gonna say wheel bearing. But don't rule out the ever popular trailing arm. Maybe there's enough play in the arm's bushing the throw something in contact.
I swear there is no car on the planet with as crappy a front end. Can we get a class-action suit going against Lexus?
Old 10-23-11, 05:16 PM
NJLexusGS
Driver School Candidate

I had the same noise and it was the lower ball joint. The way to check it is you have to put the car up on the lift, stand under the wheel that makes the noise, put your shoulder and hands under the wheel and try to lift the wheel. If the wheel lifts easily your ball joint is shot and you should replace it quickly. I also recommend getting a new one from the dealer. It cost $110. I once went with aftermarket ball joints and they only lasted less than 2 years and had to do them again. Once you start hearing the noise you only have a couple weeks before it fully wears out and pops out. And you don't want it to pop out when you are driving on the highway because most likely you will not survive the crash.
Good Luck
Old 10-23-11, 05:45 PM
aristo123
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypebeast
I have a terrible creaking noise whenever I turn my wheel at a low speed (or from a stop) coming from the front passenger side wheel well. How do you fix this if it's the upper strut mount?
You would need to remove the entire strut. The strut will have the strut mount attached. You will need to compress the spring and release the tension on the strut mount. Once you've done that, you need to remove the strut mount from the strut. You will see a nut on the center of the strut mount. I'm sure you can find pics or videos on you tube.
Old 10-23-11, 10:39 PM
bonson
Driver School Candidate

Question

[Arcadian: It does it whether wheel is rotating or not, but almost always when turning the steering wheel even a hair.]

The noise became so loud I just parked the car in garage from the advise on safety on here.

Well based on all your info (and noise is around lower and/or mid part of wheel area) I ordered from Sewell Lexus online : new lower ball joints set $124 (L & R)
and also tie rod assembly for each side at $50 a pop + new castle nuts
and I stumbled on some apparently upgraded steering rack bushings (polyurethane) so I threw those in too for $32
and some misc parts I'll use later
All plus tax & shipping.

I am not sure if I can install those ball joints & tie rods parts myself. (If its a wheel bearing well thats another part I'll need.)
Any advise on installing those parts myself? and landing a tool to handle popping out and popping in ball joints?
Kind of afraid to even drive it to a repair shop after hearing from you guys.
I do have about every size wrench, ratchet, socket, etc and torque wrench with ft lb and an inch lb
Old 10-24-11, 06:22 PM
oslouie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bonson
[Arcadian: It does it whether wheel is rotating or not, but almost always when turning the steering wheel even a hair.]

The noise became so loud I just parked the car in garage from the advise on safety on here.

Well based on all your info (and noise is around lower and/or mid part of wheel area) I ordered from Sewell Lexus online : new lower ball joints set $124 (L & R)
and also tie rod assembly for each side at $50 a pop + new castle nuts
and I stumbled on some apparently upgraded steering rack bushings (polyurethane) so I threw those in too for $32
and some misc parts I'll use later
All plus tax & shipping.

I am not sure if I can install those ball joints & tie rods parts myself. (If its a wheel bearing well thats another part I'll need.)
Any advise on installing those parts myself? and landing a tool to handle popping out and popping in ball joints?
Kind of afraid to even drive it to a repair shop after hearing from you guys.
I do have about every size wrench, ratchet, socket, etc and torque wrench with ft lb and an inch lb
This link should help you. If it doesn't, PM me as I've done the inner, outer tie rods and ball joint already and there is a DIY somewhere for the steering rack bushings.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ou-search.html
Old 10-25-11, 12:28 AM
bonson
Driver School Candidate

wow Thanks for that link! Its just so much easier with a write up liek this than following the service manual
Old 10-25-11, 08:11 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypebeast
Those are your lower ball joints. Mine did the same thing when they were about to go.

If I were you, I would get them replaced ASAP or let the car sit until you can get them in your hands....