GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Transmission Fluid Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-11, 05:38 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Question

So I had my Transmission Fluid Flushed earlier this year. However, I am not sure exactly what kind of Fluid they put in my car at Valvoline. I was thinking about exchanging some transmission fluid for maintenance. However, I was thinking about going Synthetic with the Transmission Fluid and using Amsoil or Mobil1 Dextron Transmission Fluid. Do I have to do a complete swap of Tranny Fluid, or is it okay to just mix whatever is already in my tranny with the synthetic (sorry if this is a dumb question). I am also going to use whatever synthetic fluid I get for my Tranny for my Power Steering, but I'm not too worried about that since it is a lot easier (and cheaper) to completely replace the PS Fluid than it is with the Tranny Fluid.
Old 08-17-11, 07:27 PM
oslouie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw somewhere that these transmissions are picky about their fluids. With that said, I wouldn't risk using anything other than Toyota T-IV. I'm sure someone has changed their fluid over to synthetic but I like to stay on the safe side.
Old 08-17-11, 10:14 PM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stay with toyota T-IV
Old 08-17-11, 10:17 PM
tinman
Intermediate

I've read many people say to only use T-IV fluid, but I've read just as many people say that switching to Valvoline MaxLife was the best move they have ever made. Personally, I think it's all in their heads. Mobil 1 "Dexron" (it's not spelled with a t) is an excellent fluid, as are the AMSOIL offerings. Keep in mind however that Dexron fluid is slightly different than T-IV. T-IV contains friction modifiers that are different. Mobil does make a type that is identical to T-IV, it's called "3309" I've heard of several people switching over to the AMSOIL products and I have not heard a bad word about them. But then again, my opinion about much of the differences between fluids being in peoples' heads still stands. It's very hard to tell the difference in a fluid by using the seat-of-your-pants-o-meter.

Last edited by tinman; 08-17-11 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-17-11, 10:28 PM
GS_Louis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stick with the Toyota recommended Type 4. Cleaner fluid just equals a little smoother shifting, that's why people love all these different fluids, same feeling though. Just do your ATF fluid exchanges at the right times and you'll be good.
Old 08-18-11, 12:32 AM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Stick to toyota type IV, why risk damaging your trans. i recommend u flush out your fluid and stay with type IV
Old 08-18-11, 09:02 AM
fangtl
Driver

I know I am in the minority here but I am using Valvoline MaxLife, a full synthetic with excellent reviews. Over the last 15k miles on MaxLife I've been very happy and have had no issues.
Old 08-18-11, 11:59 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fangtl
I know I am in the minority here but I am using Valvoline MaxLife, a full synthetic with excellent reviews. Over the last 15k miles on MaxLife I've been very happy and have had no issues.
Hey, are you also using this Fluid for your Power Steering System?
Old 08-18-11, 02:01 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusben
Power Steering uses ATF Dexron III.
Old 08-18-11, 02:35 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fangtl
What's the difference between both Performance wise ? Can you honestly tell a difference ?
Old 08-18-11, 02:53 PM
tinman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Power Steering uses ATF Dexron III.
I think he was asking of the poster specifically uses Valvoline MaxLife in his power steering system, not what the power steering system specifies.

I do use MaxLife in my power steering system. The P/S system works great on anything that meets Dexron-III.
Old 08-18-11, 04:35 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Always use Toyota Type IV, use that on the Lexus and Supra and never have a proble, even at my HP level on the Supra. Also never do a flush, a drain and fill yearly is better than a full flush and will not damage your transmission. Some people make the mistake of doing a full flush when their transmission starts makeing weird noise or acting weird, this however will make it worst in most cases.
Old 08-18-11, 07:25 PM
fangtl
Driver

PSF was addressed by the PO so it's not a concern thus far but yes, I will use MaxLife when then time comes.

What's the difference between both Performance wise ? Can you honestly tell a difference ?
Honestly no, plus anything I do feel is prob a placebo. But I think that's a good thing b/c that means the fluid is doing its job.

Some people make the mistake of doing a full flush when their transmission starts makeing weird noise or acting weird, this however will make it worst in most cases.
A fluid exchange or flush should not be treated as a fix but routine maintenance. Fact is, if the trans is acting weird then the damage likely is already done, so flushing or a drain will be of little use. So the mistake is changing out the fluid too late, in which case a drain and fill is postponing the inevitable and a flush will expose a damaged transmission.
Old 08-19-11, 06:19 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Since Mobil makes the T-4 fluid, I used that on my last drain&fill. Was able to get 3qts out with my front raised. I used M1 in my PS system. I actually have another half quart to go through. Been doing the siphon method with the Mix Mixer.

I'm a different animal though, I do drain and fills every 15-30k to keep tranny in very top shape. That's what I did with my last car and will do the same with this.