GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

TRD LSD - Question after installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-02, 12:15 PM
JacobT

I had my TRD LSD installed for almost 2 years and had no problem at all. The clutch type LSD need to be broken in. Just drive your car hard at corners several times to break in the clutch.

I do not think the LSD has anything to do with the ECU learning.
Old 07-30-02, 01:21 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I use the oyal Purple 85W140 oil on the stock differential? any benefit? also, what is the recommended oil for the stock differential?

thanks

Anh
Old 07-30-02, 02:23 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to change to RP before doing couple hard corner.. just in case the installer did not add any additive to the stuff they put in.. They told me is the castrol 80/90. .. I am going to pickup Royal Purple..and have they change ASAP.
Old 07-30-02, 03:06 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

My master tech has used LSD additive in my car since the initial install, a year and a half ago. He said from his experience with LSD in Supras, the additive is req'd. I just had the fluid replaced with additive at 30K check. Don't know what weight fluid though.
Old 07-30-02, 08:28 PM
GJSGS4
Driver

You are feeling the the LSD clutches release when you turn the car from a stop or at slow speed. As already stated when you turn the car the rear wheels are traveling different distances and you need differential action. To get differential action in the TRD LSD you need to overcome the preload on the clutch plates. I believe the preload is set around 70 - 100 ft-lb. I use mobil-1 synthetic oil in mine without an additive.
Old 08-01-02, 08:35 AM
altaf
Pole Position

Originally posted by Shinchan
LSD allows both wheel to travel at different speed. During the a 90 degree turn, the outter and inner wheel travel at different speed.. the Lexus ECU computer was not design to have both wheel travel at diff speed. It was design with OEM spec.. where both wheel travel at the same speed.
LSD is not unique in allowing the wheels to travel at different speeds through a turn. All cars, whether equipped with LSD or not, have a differential which allows the powered wheels to travel at different speeds during a turn (the non-powered wheels don't need a differential since they spin freely). So the ECU does not expect the wheels to be traveling at the same speed during a turn. Your mechanic should know better.

Remember, when you take a turn, the wheels on the inside of the turn are traveling a shorter distance compared to the wheels on the outside of the turn - therefore, the inside wheels are also rotating at a lesser speed.

I agree with GJSGS4's explanation on what you might be feeling.

-Altaf
Old 08-14-02, 08:33 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Question

Shinchan: So how did the RP change work out for ya?
Old 08-15-02, 03:56 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Royal Purple...????... it was magic purple...hehehehe.. I went to local auth dealer and purchase 3 bottle of Royal Purple 85W140. It was like magic.. although the auth dealer charge $9.50 per bottle.. but I have done enough search and decide to purchase from them because all these internet store charge at least $7.00 for shipping and haddling.. in the end did not save any money.. anyway,.

Magic Purple works out perfect... got all the noise out of the TRD LSD..when doing a slow turn.. no more traction control sound (click click click) when doing a slow turns.. smooth...

Now.. I do have another question for owner of TRD LSD... I notice some sound coming from the TRD LSD when deceleration.... maybe this is part of the clutch LSD not torsen???? also driving with windows down on street.. I can here this minor sound coming out.. of the car.. when I closed the windows.. they are not hearable...???
Old 08-16-02, 07:34 PM
GJSGS4
Driver

The TRD LSD is a two-way LSD. In other words it works to eliminate slip during both acceleration and deacceleration. There are detent ***** and two-way ramps that apply pressure to the clutches when there is a quick speed different between the rear wheels. If you are hearing the noise during aggressive braking the noise is probably the detent ***** rolling up the ramps. If the noise is occurring during light braking it is probably not the LSD making the noise. It could be your brakes or constant velocity joints.