GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-10, 09:29 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Kansas
I've never had to put a Toyota or Lexus car on jack stands to change the oil but I do sometimes raise the car on the front passenger side a few inches with a floor jack. (I reach under the car and never put my body under it.) I lower the car down while the oil is draining from the sump. I've got a separate catch pan for removing the oil filter.
How on Earf do you get the rear retaining screws for the undercover without getting under the car? I always have to lift mine, as those are just about 4 feet back. Maybe from the side, but that's a huge pain. And if you're using a creeper, and still don't have to raise it, that seems strange to me.

Originally Posted by Kansas
You will need a 14 mm socket to remove/reinstall the drain plug and a 10 mm socket to remove the fasteners holding the engine undercover. A short 2"-3" socket extension might be helpful. You GS likely has plastic threaded inserts at the front of the undercover so gently tighten those when reinstalling the undercover so you don't strip the threads. If someone else has been changing your oil, you might find some of the inserts already stripped -- I keep a couple of replacements on hand because I occasionally strip one too.

Assuming you are going to take the oil to a recycler, you will probably need a a couple of plastic jugs and a funnel to get the oil into them.

And something to keep your garage floor clean -- a drop cloth of some kind ... a few layers of newspapers can work too. Have some rags or paper towels handy. I buy surgical gloves by the box to keep my hands clean while doing the dirty work on cars.

Wiggling around on a cold garage floor is not my idea of fun. I have a creeper with a padded headrest.
All good words of advice. I use surgical gloves, too, and have it down to a process where I can get the whole deal done in less than 30 minutes. It would take longer to drive and wait for it to be done than it takes me to actually do it.

Big Mack
Old 10-03-10, 01:49 PM
alexdan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just go in there and DO IT!! to many question about such a simple process.

you got it brother !!!!
Old 10-03-10, 02:46 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQZY1jon87c

kinda shows you simple instructions

btw dont mind the OE jack.. i didnt use that to support the vehicle. Use jackstands of course,
Old 10-03-10, 04:41 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

thank you sir.
Old 10-03-10, 05:37 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
How on Earf do you get the rear retaining screws for the undercover without getting under the car? I always have to lift mine, as those are just about 4 feet back. Maybe from the side, but that's a huge pain. And if you're using a creeper, and still don't have to raise it, that seems strange to me.
Big Mac, the rear bolts of the engine cover are far short of four feet back from the front lip of the bumper cover. Look at the attached 04 GS430 undercover photo. Measure and I think you will find that the rear fasteners are about 31 inches back. I'm a normally proportioned 6 foot, 180 pound male (shirt sleeve length 34 inches) and have no trouble removing the engine undercover from the front without jacking the car up or putting it on jackstands.

Big Mac, maybe it is your "bigness" that is keeping you from reaching the rear fasteners?
Attached Thumbnails oil change-2004-gs430-engine-undercover.jpg