GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New Toy Installed: Bluetooth Handsfree Phone and Music Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-11, 11:49 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I installed this thing, and quite frankly, the quality of music playback is horrible. It degrades perfect mp3s encoded at 320kbs to something that sounds like a 40kbs internet stream.
Not sure whats up with that. I don't have that issue. I don't think audax has that issue either. How are you getting the sound into the radio - modulator or RCA/CD Changer mod?

Originally Posted by Och
Ok, something is majorly wrong with mine.

I hooked up the wires just like you showed - red to red on radio, green to gray on radio, yellow to yellow-green on radio, and black to the ground. The unit wouldn't power up at all. So I reconnected the red wire to another source of power (spliced cig lighter wire).

Now when I start the car, the bluetooth unit powers up right away, whether the radio is on or off. Is it the way its supposed to be? I only have the green wire connected to the gray wire on the radio, and the yellow to yellow/green.

The mute function works fine, so the yellow to yellow-green must be fine. But the green/gray wife is probably wrong since the unit powers up right away. I understand the whole point of ignition wire is to only power up the bluetooth unit when the radio is on?

Also, I lost the backlight on the radio LCD. Backlight on the buttons works, but LCD is dark.
Unless you only plan on answering phone calls when you are listening to music the unit SHOULD power up when the car does. So yes it is working as I intended my setup to.

About the backlight I have no idea what happened. I can do some looking at the wiring diagrams when I get back to work on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Old 01-02-11, 11:53 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by kamlung
LEGOS!!!! bwahahah genius!!!
Thanks. The Lego solution is the most interesting part of this install to me. Just hit up my sons room for the supplies.

Originally Posted by allturbo
nice install
Thanks.
Old 01-03-11, 12:08 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair
Not sure whats up with that. I don't have that issue. I don't think audax has that issue either. How are you getting the sound into the radio - modulator or RCA/CD Changer mod?
I actually have the Vaistech unit, with iPod and Aux input.

But I seem to have found the solution to the low quality music playback, I use 3.5mm wire and hook it up to my blackberry and the aux port on the T605, and it automatically plays the music through the aux. However, when making a phone call, the phone automatically switches to bluetooth, and it seems to work just great.

Unless you only plan on answering phone calls when you are listening to music the unit SHOULD power up when the car does. So yes it is working as I intended my setup to.
I see, but then what is the purpose of having that second "ignition" power wire? Seems to be redundant.

The manual for the T605 says not to wire the red (ACC) and green (ignition) wires to the same source, because it will limit the units functionality.

About the backlight I have no idea what happened. I can do some looking at the wiring diagrams when I get back to work on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Let me know if you figure it out please.
Old 01-08-11, 07:54 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I see, but then what is the purpose of having that second "ignition" power wire? Seems to be redundant.

The manual for the T605 says not to wire the red (ACC) and green (ignition) wires to the same source, because it will limit the units functionality.
The red power wire of the T605 kits should be attached to an "always on" source of power.

The green power wire is the "ignition sense" power and should be attached to a power source which is on only when the ignition switch is in the Accessory or "Run" position.

Most phone kits use this setup. The continuous power wire preserves some functions of the phone kit even when the ignition switch is in the OFF position. The ignition sense wire allows full operation of the phone kit when the key is in the ignition switch in the ACC or run position.

For example, some but not all phone kits will not allow the initiation of a call when the ignition switch is in the OFF position but will allow an in-progress call to continue after the ignition switch has been turned to the OFF position. The ignition sense wire allows the phone kit to "know" that an in-progress call should be allowed to continue and that the phone kit should be powered down when the call ends.

For phone kits that have accessory or phone charging capabilities, the ignition sense wire is sometimes used to provide charging power to the accessory/phone only when the ignition key is in the ACC or run position -- this is to prevent draining the vehicle battery if the accessory/phone is left connected to the charging wire after the key is removed from the ignition switch. The ignition sense function can also be used to prevent incoming calls from being automatically answered if a phone is left in the car and powered up and if the phone kit and/or phone has an auto-answer feature.

I don't know which particular features the ignition sense wire enables on the T605 but the list could be quite long.
Old 01-19-11, 12:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Ok, just an update to this thread.

1) The red wire on my radio definitely wasn't a power wire. I think it was one of the speaker wires. So wiring diagrams are definitely different between years/options. This is not a problem however, because i wires red and black wires on the T605 to the cigarette lighter.

2) The other wires seem to be correct. The green on T605 to gray on radio, yellow on T605 to yellow-green on radio seem to take care of mute and ignition functions.

3) The radio LCD backlight out just happened to be burnt out bulbs. I guess it was coincidence, but both of them burned out at the same time. It could be that the bulbs were really old, and when I removed and handled the radio, they finally gave up. I replaced them both, and this are not back to normal.

With that being said, I made some modifications to the system.

1) I got rid of the T605 controller all-together. I found that the up/down buttons didnt work with my blackberry at all, only the call and hang up buttons did. That feature is completely useless to me, because I have Bury charging craddle on my dash, so I can press these buttons just as well on my phone. I can always plug the controller back in, but for now I decided that I don't want an extra wire. It works just fine without it.

2) I elected not to use the bluetooth music option of the T605 at all. I didn't connect the in the AUX interface wire of the T605. I'm listen to music/streaming radio directly by plugging the phone into the aux of my Vaistech unit, skipping the T605 alltogether. They work perfect together - when a call comes in, it paused music, mutes radio, and automatically switched to bluetooth, and when I'm done with the phone call, it resumes playing music through the aux.

I will post some pics later.

The one thing that bothers me however is the speaker that came with the T605. It does the job, but its only 5watt, and its barely adequate. Ideally, I would love to wire it to my car speakers, but I don't think that will work very well. I could get a better speaker and hide it somewhere under the dash, but it would have to be a 12volt amplified speaker.
Old 02-10-11, 01:12 AM
lexstress
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Goal: Wireless phone calls and Wireless iPod / Pandora music from my iPhone through the factory speakers.

I chose the Motorola T605. Why? The T605 delivers Audio (iPod, Pandora, etc) through a set of RCA outs and Phone Call audio through either a dedicated external speaker or two wires that can be spliced into the vehicle audio system. It supports mute, voice controls, and is readily available on eBay for $30-40.

For now I chose to feed the audio into the head unit with a FM Modulator and to use the External speaker for phone calls. These may change down the road.

UPDATE:
I have since removed the FM Modulator. I have used them extensively in the past with nothing but good results. The Lexus system however did not seem to like it very much and after a while produced some static on a few stations.

The T605 is now hooked up using a variation of the PD drifter method. Since I have no need for the CD changer I skipped the relay setup and installed the T605 in place of the changer. This is a always on audio feed meaning the T605 supplied audio will play over the FM if the radio is left in the FM setting. Pressing the CD button provides only T605 audio.

Parts:

1. Motorola T605 – eBay @ $40.00 Shipped

2. WIRED FM Modulator – Frys @ $30.00 (I got one online for $15.00 but shipping was taking too long)

3. Misc.: Wire ties, solderless connectors, T-taps @ $20.00’ish (I already had most of this stuff)

4. Solder on RCA ends from Radio Shack. $3.00'ish

Tools:

Screwdrivers, crimper/stripper, wire cutters, test light probe, factory wiring diagrams, ClubLexus.com’s Hello all (Links to most DIYs for the [2nd Gen] GS) Thread

Wiring Schematic:

First job was to locate the factory Mute wire so that all normal audio would be muted when a phone call came in. I removed the Shift ****, Ash Tray, Center Console Plate, Navigation / Radio Head Unit, and the Center AC Vents.

Using the factory wiring diagram and a test light probe I located the YEL/GRN wire on the back of the deck and verified that when it is grounded all audio goes silent. I then used he test light probe and verify the GRY Ignition wire, RED constant 12V wire, and a good ground point behind the head unit. T-taps were added to the three wires behind the head unit. The ground wire was crimped in a ring terminal and screwed to a grounded support bar between the glove box and head unit.

Once this was done I attached spade connectors to the 4 wires from the T605 and hooked every thing up (the Brain, Mic, speaker, and controller have not been run to their permanent locations yet) I verified that I could pair my iPhone to it and make a call. Also that the radio/CD mutes when a call is placed or received. Everything worked as expected.

Second job was hooking up the Wired FM Modulator. This was simple enough. Disconnect the factory male antenna cable from the head unit and plug it into the FM Mod’s female plug. Take the FM Mod’s male antenna cable and plug that into the head units female. I then crimped a spade to the 12v wire and T-Tapped the the lighter’s pink 12v wire. I plugged them together and attached the Ground to the same place I grounded the T605. The FM Mod was secured with zip ties to a support bar between the instrument cluster and head unit.

RCA ends were soldered onto a short audio cable which was then connected to the CD Audio-to-deck wire. These were then connected to the T605.

I plugged the T605’s RCA’s to the FM Mod, set the radio to 87.9, and played the iPhone’s iPod and…sweet music. It worked perfect.

Third job was routing and installing the T605 Brain, Mic, Speaker, and Controller. I chose to mount Brain in the spare CD Cartridge cubby in the glove box. There is not a lot of room in this car behind the panels and I don’t use this cubby for anything else so it made sense. I installed the Mic at the left front of the garage door opener and routed its wires through the headliner and down the A Pillar to the brain in the glove box cubby. I installed the speaker above the pedals with the wire routed through the radio compartment to the brain in the glove box cubby. I mounted the controller right above the ash tray. I had to space it our a tiny bit to allow the ash tray to still open. I did this with a specialized spacer. I again tested the system. Everything worked so I reassembled all the panels and pieces. Test drove and enjoyed.

So there it is.

I need to give a special thanks to Kansas for taking time to answer all of my questions and sharing some of his knowledge and experiences with hands free car kits and our Lexus’ with me. Also r00kie for the Center console removal and GS3InPhx for the Radio removal.

Bonus points to the first person to ID the specialized spacer I used. Let me know if you have any questions.
ok maybe you can help me, how do i connect sub in my gs 300 with navi? please help!
Old 02-10-11, 07:06 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

quite complicated for what it is.. check amazon for these things under $70 all in one device. as low as 25bux jussayin
Old 02-10-11, 11:15 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by j stuff
quite complicated for what it is.. check amazon for these things under $70 all in one device. as low as 25bux jussayin
Really? Lets see it. This is the only kit I have found with RCA's out for the audio and speaker out for the phone audio.
Old 02-10-11, 11:24 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by lexstress
ok maybe you can help me, how do i connect sub in my gs 300 with navi? please help!
Do some reading up on Line Out Converters. This is the simplest way to do it. I have 12in sub hooked up to my factory Nav system right now using one of these.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...AC-SNI-35.html

Last edited by Debonair; 02-10-11 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-20-11, 01:41 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Update:

So I'm finally getting around to installing my 605. I've got it all hooked up to test functionality, but have a ways to go to permanently route the wires out of sight. Low and behold it works, at least after uncrossing my power wires. Seems like quality kit.

So in the interest of flexibility I wanted to try something, that as far as I know hasn't been tried before, with less than ideal results. Here's what I've done:

Hooked up a pair of rcas splitter cables to the rca outputs from the 605 and the ipod cable.

With all cables attached the bluetooth audio sounds great, but bass is overly lacking. When the iphone is on the cradle I can choose to play music via bluetooth, or dock connector. If the phone is on the dock, and I choose dock connection the music plays, but the 4 speakers severely cut the higher frequency audio, but play the bass like it's supposed to be played. When I disconnect the rcas from the 605, the full spectrum of frequencies comes back to the dock connected rcas.

So did I hook up something wrong, or is it just a limitation of the rcas??

Any ideas?
Old 03-22-11, 11:49 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by audax
Wiring this up to the car for purely using the phone is quite easy. The GS had an optional telephone from the factory/dealer, so there is wiring to support it conveniently located behind the passenger kick panel. I cut the speaker wire for the T605's speaker, and connected it to the driver's side rear speaker. The phone rings and plays audio from that speaker.
So do you control the incoming call volume by the 605 control module, or by the radio volume ****? Can it be any louder than the external speaker volume?
Old 03-22-11, 12:22 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Originally Posted by Blanco
So do you control the incoming call volume by the 605 control module, or by the radio volume ****? Can it be any louder than the external speaker volume?
The unit controls the volume from the Blue Arrow buttons or the phone. There are definitely ways to get it louder depending on how involved of a install you do.

I recently hijacked my center channel speaker for phone calls. Much louder, some times too loud, with a great placement.
Old 03-22-11, 12:34 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

I want it louder. What other install methods are you aware of? I haven't permenantly mounted the external speaker, yet. Maybe if I put in the dash's center channel speaker location it might sound louder, like you said.

I was also thinking about using the blue/orange line level outs and tapping into the factory radio somewhere to get the sound to come out of the factory speakers.

I've had the external speaker turned up all the way, and sometimes would like it louder.

What are your ideas?
Old 03-22-11, 12:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by audax
Wiring this up to the car for purely using the phone is quite easy. The GS had an optional telephone from the factory/dealer, so there is wiring to support it conveniently located behind the passenger kick panel. I cut the speaker wire for the T605's speaker, and connected it to the driver's side rear speaker. The phone rings and plays audio from that speaker.
Any info where these wires might be located?
Old 03-22-11, 12:42 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blanco
I want it louder. What other install methods are you aware of? I haven't permenantly mounted the external speaker, yet. Maybe if I put in the dash's center channel speaker location it might sound louder, like you said.

I was also thinking about using the blue/orange line level outs and tapping into the factory radio somewhere to get the sound to come out of the factory speakers.

I've had the external speaker turned up all the way, and sometimes would like it louder.

What are your ideas?
2GS has center channel?!

Quick Reply: New Toy Installed: Bluetooth Handsfree Phone and Music Kit