GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

A/C Issue Another Strange Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-10, 10:42 AM
tsp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Issue Another Strange Problem

About a year ago my compressor locked up... Trying to be cheap I bought a re-man on line and installed it along with a new dryer. (of course evaced/vac first)A/C came on kinda cold for a short time then didn't stay very cold .. just cool.
Car started chugging a little again then the A/C was on like it did then the first compressor bit the dust. Except it went as far as almost cutting the car off then choked.
I didnt let replacement go that far... Not sure anymore what the problem could be I took it to a highly recommended mechanic in my area.
They said that the cheap compressor I installed wasn't building up enough pressure to cool well.
So just wanting cold air I told them to do what needed to be done.. and they replaced it with a new compressor , dryer and did flush etc...
Hopped in drove out of the parking lot and it started chugging and the a/c was blowing with how fast I was going.. then I was at a light and the car started chugging really bad. Cut off the air ran great.
Called him and he said that the computer might need to readjust with the idel and battery being disconnected etc.. and If I had any problems just come back in the morning. Well about half way home the car almost cut off and the compressor locked up.. Took it in and they put it on the lift and said "well the compressor crapped out, leaking everywhere and a new one was on the way"
Could there me something else that is causing these compressors to crap out. Both times a full evac and flush was done.? Thanks for any advise.. It is a the shop but I would like to have some outside opinions of what the problem might be.

Thanks!!!
Old 07-13-10, 07:05 AM
poohunny
Rookie

wow...I hd the same issue last weekend and ordered a remanned one from online with an unlimited warranty from ebay. My OEM compressor locked up too. So I'm going to run to NAPA and get a drier and have this reinstalled. I'm hoping I won't have the same issue, bc this is the second thread that mentioned a remanned compressor being not strong enough. I'm just hoping that there were more people that were successful with it and they have not chimed in because there is no issue.

When you took yours in, did they say the drier had to be done at the same time? (also, is the drier the same thing as the accumulator?) I'm taking it in this week, and am hoping it solves my problem...I'll chime in after in case there's anything that I experience that could help.

Although, when the OEM compressor locked up, it did not make the car run the way you say yours did. It ran normal, just without cold air. Perhaps there are other issues making it seem like it is in conjunction with the compressor/drier?
Old 07-14-10, 04:26 PM
dcz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Where are you located in SC? maybe I could check it out. I live in savannah and go through SC up 95 and across 26 to asheville all the time, but here is something it could be... I have done a few write ups about my experience with AC.

If you replace the drier in our GS you have to replace the condensor and drier (they are welded together) if you notice they didnt change the condensor (looks like a smaller radiator) they probably didnt.

To me, it sounds like there was way too much pressure put in the lines. Thats why it was cooling so well.. then when your car was at idle, the car wasnt pulling hard enough to turn the compressor.... Thats why it would run like crap and idle higher/more smoothly when it was off... I had the same problem when I redid my AC. I added too much 134 and it ran like crap... I simply released some of the pressure and it ran much better...

Also, when you replace your condensor/drier youre supposed to add 40mL of compressor oil to the condensor.. i dont know if it would mess up the compressor too bad, but they may have not done that? It just honestly sounds like there was too much strain on the compressor and it gave out...

If they didnt replace the condesor the second time after they replaced the compressor, that also isnt good as it could have thrown more metal shavings/debris back into the system.. in turn destroying your second compressor...
Old 07-14-10, 10:14 PM
Jmac215
Driver School Candidate

Is this an epidemic? (lol) My a/c compressor just went out today. I haven't gotten the estimate yet from the mechanic, but I literally just spent $1k on other work. I've been seeing OEM compressors run about $500+....(ouch)

Would everyone here agree that remanns are not worth the risk? Thye are giving a 24-36 month warranty in most cases....

Thanks!
Old 07-15-10, 05:29 AM
dcz
Pole Position

honestly, remans Ive never had too big of a problem with... they keep the core and just redo all the moving parts.. Here is my order info:

QUANTITYITEMDESCRIPTIONUNIT PRICE TOTAL
160-60072 ND 99 Lexus GS400 All ModelsA/C Condenser Price = 179.45
160-00847 NC 99 Lexus GS400 All ModelsA/C Compressor Price = 545.00
1FRT UPS Ground + No Return Expected0.000.00

SALES TAX0.00
TOTAL due: 724.45

That got me a new compressor/drier/condensor and it only cost me about another 100 for the freon, flush, seals, etc... wasnt too bad of a job.. I did a DIY on here somewhere.. If you have any questions give me a shout.. Ill do what I can
Old 07-15-10, 05:32 AM
dcz
Pole Position

Let me add... It may have a warranty on it, but do you really want to have to deal with having it go bad again? Paying for new freon, flush, labor, etc... (if you do it yourself)... I didnt... I looked for new OEM's through lexus through carson toyota..

Just know that if you buy a new compressor and get a rpice.. sometimes they only quote you the price of JUST the compressor... you also need to clutch assembly that goes with it.. that may run you another $400...

My total of 545 for a brand new Denso (what came stock on the car) is much better than the $900 plus that my club lexus discount got me.