GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

$$$$How easy are these GS to get stolen$$$

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 09:54 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

btw, any newer cars have random code technology so code grabbers are useless unless they crack the algorithm which is highly unlikely being that there can be over 1 million random codes
Old 06-30-10, 02:58 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bosshognit
So over the weekend i just got my GSR stolen.. they find it the next day in South Central stripped to the T.. its just a shell... So my questions is how easy are these GS to get stolen and has anybody has had there car jacked?? .... as for my next car I'm on a huge front.. I dont want to get jacked again but dont want high insurance.. so how are these cars when it comes to safety???? thanks for the info guys!
LOL this post has made my day... How times have changed..
Old 06-30-10, 11:33 PM
ydjy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is easy to register a new key in the car's immobilizer if you have the master key, so don't give the master key to your mechanic unless you trust him. Other than that, Lexus is pretty secure.
Old 07-01-10, 01:21 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
btw, any newer cars have random code technology so code grabbers are useless unless they crack the algorithm which is highly unlikely being that there can be over 1 million random codes
It easy to crack the encryption algorithm if someone has physical access to the system, as in another car the same make and model with the one they are trying to crack. In the computer world, if the attacker has physical access to the computer then it is considered compromised already.

All the cars with the same type of security system use the same ciphers, just with different keys. No matter how secure anyone says a security or encryption is, it can and will always be able to be broken(whether it be computers or cars). All I have to say that cars use very rudimentary security compared to what's being used in the strongest in computer systems security today.

It's just like solving a puzzle, there are always shortcuts and you don't always have to do a brute force attack(trying every possible combination). Anyways, not trying to scare anyone, but just don't think the newest security system on a brand new car is going to be impenetrable....BUT

Then again, most of the people stealing cars are going to be using pry bars, hammers, and flatbeds. I highly doubt you will see one bust out a laptop lol
Old 07-01-10, 07:02 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I highly doubt you will see one bust out a laptop lol
only us asians would bust out laptops..."hold on, I can get into that no problem"

My thought on the Algorithm was that if the remote code left off at say "xyxxa= lock" then you would have to know that in order to unlock with the correct response "unlock" because its always rolling...but that was just a theory...
Old 07-01-10, 07:30 AM
austin7891
Pole Position

OP - sorry to hear about your integra, i hate how common theft of that particular model is...people want to hackanddrop the b18c1 so they can VTAK too....my friend had bad luck with his gsr which is another story.

Jeff+Speed - interesting stuff reading about these code grabbers...also what would be the easiest lexus to turbo? i know that sounds so broad....but i seriously want FI in my gs4...do i sell it/use nitrous/pay for a custom setup orSC/ or buy an sc300
Old 07-05-10, 09:00 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by austin7891
OP - sorry to hear about your integra, i hate how common theft of that particular model is...people want to hackanddrop the b18c1 so they can VTAK too....my friend had bad luck with his gsr which is another story.

Jeff+Speed - interesting stuff reading about these code grabbers...also what would be the easiest lexus to turbo? i know that sounds so broad....but i seriously want FI in my gs4...do i sell it/use nitrous/pay for a custom setup orSC/ or buy an sc300
not that its a big thing but the word is VTEC btw....not VTAK. also the hondas/acuras were alot easier to steal than our lexus'
Old 07-05-10, 09:20 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so technically i was thinking if you had a lexus transponder key and ecu couldnt you just swap the ecu and it should start right? then the ignition part but i guess we werent talking about that i dunno about that if the screwdriver and hammer would work on a laser cut key
Old 07-05-10, 09:58 PM
austin7891
Pole Position

....saka, take me for a fool you must. obviously i know it is not called VTAK, nor is it called v-tech which is a company who makes toy phones for children. and BTW - it is an acronym, not a word, not that it is a big thing....
do you know what it stands for?
Old 07-05-10, 11:14 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by austin7891
....saka, take me for a fool you must. obviously i know it is not called VTAK, nor is it called v-tech which is a company who makes toy phones for children. and BTW - it is an acronym, not a word, not that it is a big thing....
do you know what it stands for?
lol, yeah after owning all the honda's and acura's i do....
Old 07-06-10, 01:24 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4life86
so technically i was thinking if you had a lexus transponder key and ecu couldnt you just swap the ecu and it should start right? then the ignition part but i guess we werent talking about that i dunno about that if the screwdriver and hammer would work on a laser cut key
I remember hearing about this in the news a few years back. When the thieves would go around with ECU's and target very specific cars. The thing is that Toyota changes their ECU connectors and pinouts halfway through a cars cycle. Usually around the mid-model refresh. Yes, it's possible but the people that do this are targeting very specific cars and will have to know exactly where the computer is. This obviously takes longer than just busting in a window and forcing the ignition. Most car thieves try to be in and out as quickly as possible, so swapping ecu's takes significantly longer than just forcing the ignition.
Old 07-06-10, 09:49 AM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As everyone else mentioned, if someone really wants to steal your car its gonna happen.
As for difficulty, well its not easy but definitely much harder than an integra. Its actually quite difficult to even get in the car without breaking the window.

I remember once I locked my keys inside the trunk and I didn't have a spare. I had to call a tow truck to get in. Even a tow truck driver had a hard time getting in with all the proper tools.

If the guy knows the car inside and out then its as good as gone. But for the average joe I wouldn't worry too much unless they just plan to tow it.