GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Can the steering wheel LEXUS logo be replaced (or fixed up)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 04:17 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont understand why this chrome emblem wears out so often for everyone
its not like we are constantly honking our horns -_-
Old 03-10-10, 04:26 PM
Billh2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wondered about the emblem on the steering wheel. Mine is also worn to white. I hesitated putting something over it, if the air bag deploys it's going to be pretty violent, I have been told it's the hardest slap in the face you ever got, and going to absolutely ruin your day. Probably don't need to compound it by being hit by another piece of something solid that was sitting right on top of the exploding bag.
Old 03-10-10, 07:49 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Billh2
I wondered about the emblem on the steering wheel. Mine is also worn to white. I hesitated putting something over it, if the air bag deploys it's going to be pretty violent, I have been told it's the hardest slap in the face you ever got, and going to absolutely ruin your day. Probably don't need to compound it by being hit by another piece of something solid that was sitting right on top of the exploding bag.
LOL. Next thing you know you have the "L" logo indented in your forehead for a week
Old 03-10-10, 07:55 PM
dannyg0990
Driver School Candidate

you can get the chrome paint marker at any arts and crafts store or some times autozone. it would be better if you scrape it with a razor first so when you paing it again it looks smooth. just make sure you put tape around the logo and inside it so you dont get any paint on the rest of the steering wheel as well as cleaning it so theres no dust or paint chips befor painting..
Old 03-10-10, 09:04 PM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jun_Y
LOL. Next thing you know you have the "L" logo indented in your forehead for a week

Imagine! If you had touched it up with chrome paint and hit something before the paint dried, you would have a CHROME "L" indented on your forehead!
Old 03-11-10, 07:00 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300ToM
Post pics of da results
I will as soon as i get the chance. It looks nice. Its all white and doesn't have any marks. That paint is flaky, and just seems to pop off with ease. Takes some time to do though with all the nooks in the emblem.
Old 06-07-10, 07:11 PM
oescalada
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xfea
My new (to me) 2001 GS 300 is nearly perfect both mechanically and cosmetically.

But one item is getting to me.
The LEXUS logo on the steering wheel is worn, the ‘chrome’ is worn away in the center and the white plastic is showing.

I called the dealer and asked if it could be replaced, and was told “Yes, but it comes attached to an airbag.”

Needless to say, I didn’t ask how much that costs.

Any suggestions?

I’m open to replacing with a new one (if possible) or refinishing some way.

Thanks ahead of time.
Hello XFEA,

You can find your Lexus Logo for the steering wheel, right here:

http://stores.ebay.com/aviben7__W0QQ...&submit=Search

very fast shipping, perfectly packed, great ebayer
Old 06-07-10, 07:21 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i pried mine off. bad idea. comes off easy with a pick tool. however, will not go back in. so i just cut some carbon and made an emblem delete haha
Old 04-03-16, 07:42 PM
Tcanny
Driver School Candidate

Default Replaced logo emblem only

Originally Posted by xfea
My new (to me) 2001 GS 300 is nearly perfect both mechanically and cosmetically.

But one item is getting to me.
The LEXUS logo on the steering wheel is worn, the ‘chrome’ is worn away in the center and the white plastic is showing.

I called the dealer and asked if it could be replaced, and was told “Yes, but it comes attached to an airbag.”

Needless to say, I didn’t ask how much that costs.

Any suggestions?

I’m open to replacing with a new one (if possible) or refinishing some way.

Thanks ahead of time.
I ordered the logo only from aliexpress.com. It came from China so it took a few weeks. It comes off but it takes some finesse.

My car is a 2010 GX460

There's one pin that doesn't lign up. I just cut that off

Since the pins are melted on the back, a few pins may be melted together. I cut one and pulled that through the other hole.
Old 02-25-18, 09:55 PM
IS25000
Driver

Unhappy

I know this is a very old post. However, I cannot find any further information on this anywhere. I have just replaced my badge today with a cheap replacement off ebay, but had to pry the badge off like you did above with a pick tool as it has little 'legs' which according to some, are attached to the airbag itself!. I'm worried that by doing this, the airbag may deploy on its own or something... did not realise this was so serious! Can anyone get back to me on this? I'm now scared to drive my car after learning of this... which I did my research Before I did this
Old 02-26-18, 01:11 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

The legs on the emblem are melted to the back of the leather airbag cover. It is NOT attached to the airbag itself. What most people do is cut the legs off and just glue the emblem to the cover. I would not install the new emblem with the long legs in place unless you plan to disassemble the airbag cover and do it the factory way. Thos legs can and will become projectiles if/when the bag deploys!
Old 03-10-18, 01:55 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Anyone have pics of the painted version?
Looking to paint mine the color of the newer lexus (gunmetal color)
Old 03-21-18, 11:34 PM
animalfarm
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default This is the one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Lexus-Silver-Steering-Wheel-Badge-Emblems-64mm-45mm/112825905163?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Old 03-21-18, 11:42 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by IS25000
I know this is a very old post. However, I cannot find any further information on this anywhere. I have just replaced my badge today with a cheap replacement off ebay, but had to pry the badge off like you did above with a pick tool as it has little 'legs' which according to some, are attached to the airbag itself!. I'm worried that by doing this, the airbag may deploy on its own or something... did not realise this was so serious! Can anyone get back to me on this? I'm now scared to drive my car after learning of this... which I did my research Before I did this

So what if it's an "Old post"...it's a darn good post!
Old 03-24-18, 08:35 AM
animalfarm
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gs300/430 airbag emblem

Airbag logo

eBay airbag logo

Comparison
Originally Posted by animalfarm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Lexus-Silver-Steering-Wheel-Badge-Emblems-64mm-45mm/112825905163?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Does NOT fit the GS, as I found out today

Last edited by animalfarm; 03-25-18 at 10:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
shwalker07 (03-24-18)

Quick Reply: Can the steering wheel LEXUS logo be replaced (or fixed up)?