GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Paint Estimate

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 08:32 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint Estimate

Hey guys. So i got my car last weekend and the exterior has seen better days, so i thought i would get some body work done. The front right bumper and edge of the fender are scratched badly and the fender is slightly dented inward, the owner said a piece of rubber hit her on the freeway. The rear bumper needs to be respayed because the garage door hit it because the owner didnt pull in all the way. So i got a few estimates first a local shop $1200! I almost passed out. Then charles schaeb $800 and Maaco $800 including painting a TTE front lip.

My question is, Are these reasonable prices to pay, and i really want to stay away from Maaco and charles schaeb so if anybody nows a good bodyshop around north San diego county let me know! Thanks alot guys. Sorry for the long description ill post some pics tommorow to help you guys out. I want a good paint job for a reasonable price.
Old 02-08-10, 10:19 PM
Baliztik
Lexus Test Driver

Platinum is top notch and they charge $6k for a decent job. I would not trust the $1200 jobs unless it was a homie hookup, and even then it wouldn't be the best option. Keep it stock until it gets bad enough til you have to fix it. Do it right.
Old 02-08-10, 10:59 PM
430rider
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$1200 is actually a good price, but I think it won't be the best paint job ever... save some cash and do it once and do it right.
Old 02-09-10, 06:46 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the help guys. I think im going to hold of on the paint for a little while. Just maybe do some touch up work.
Old 02-09-10, 08:34 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Coats, for the much, I go with the fellas on this one. It's either going to be bad, or decent for that price. Does that include clear cooating? Buffing? sanding? etc? Or is it just spray and bake? Local idiot of mine just sprayed my front bumper. No clear coat.

If I were you, I'd get a detail done instead for now, and save up.
Old 02-09-10, 08:40 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleRay
Coats, for the much, I go with the fellas on this one. It's either going to be bad, or decent for that price. Does that include clear cooating? Buffing? sanding? etc? Or is it just spray and bake? Local idiot of mine just sprayed my front bumper. No clear coat.

Yea coats a great detail will make the paint shine and get rid of most imperfections of the paint. You could get away with just a fine tuned detail and epoxy/screw the TTE lip on.. Than down the road you can do paint and mold..
Old 02-09-10, 08:44 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a full paint job, you are looking at a minimum of 2 grand. I used to do body work and i can tell you that it requires a lot of work to do a full respray.
Old 02-09-10, 09:52 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Thanks for the help guys. I think im going to hold of on the paint for a little while. Just maybe do some touch up work.
Some scratches you may be able to wetsand and buff to improve the appearance until you are ready for the paint job. You might be able to find a new bumper at a junk yard in better condition. If you are getting it done at a shop ask them what they charge if you do your own prep work(removing pieces to be painted and wet sanding them down, normally they will charge much less if you do your own prep work.

If you are trying to save money you may want to try painting it yourself. It is not easy and something you can't just jump into. You will have to do a good amount of research, practice on fenders until you feel your are proficient, and buy or borrow a air compressor, sprayer, primer, clearcoat,and paint but you will save a ton of money especially if you are repainting several panels or the whole car. I know a few people who decided to paint their own cars or panels instead of paying several thousand for a shop to do it and after they did the research, asked questions, and got good deals on the equipment it turned out pretty good(much better then a Macco job), a few who really put the effort in turned out excellent and very professional looking. It is not for everyone, especially people with little time or patience but it is a possibility especially if you are trying to save money if you are willing to put forth the research or effort.
Old 02-09-10, 09:53 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Yea coats a great detail will make the paint shine and get rid of most imperfections of the paint. You could get away with just a fine tuned detail and epoxy/screw the TTE lip on.. Than down the road you can do paint and mold..
Originally Posted by UncleRay

Thanks alot for the help guys. I think im just going to get a TTE lip painted and wait down the road until i have enough saved to do a good job for the repaint. Thanks for the help. How much should i expect to be paying to get the TTE lip painted?

I also keep reading about wet sanding the fine scratches with 2000 grit but im kinda nervous to be sanding my paint?
Old 02-09-10, 06:17 PM
daj430
Driver

should be no more than 200.00,now if you are having the shop install the lip they might charge you more, just stay away from macco and shops like that there more insterested in quantity not quality...
Old 02-11-10, 12:25 PM
SirBev
Pole Position

Well I just got a quote on getting a body kit put on and painted for $1000 and that's the Front fender rear fender and side skirts so...that 800-1200 doesn't sound right.......
Old 02-11-10, 01:15 PM
phongh
Lead Lap

Depends what you want. I know a guy can paint your lip or so for good price. Side job from home.
Old 02-11-10, 03:00 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by phis250
Depends what you want. I know a guy can paint your lip or so for good price. Side job from home.
Sounds interesting. Does he do a good job? And how much would the lip cost to be painted?
Old 02-11-10, 03:07 PM
phongh
Lead Lap

depends what need to be done. Pm me if you want his number.
Old 02-11-10, 04:33 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

$75-$150max to paint the TTE lip.. get a few quotes

Quick Reply: Paint Estimate