GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Restore your Headlight Lens

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-08, 12:42 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Restore your Headlight Lens

I have not yet restored my Headlights due to them not being too foggy.
As soon as springs arrives, I will restore them and post them up in this site.
If anyone does it please take some pics and share the information.

I found this video on youtube showing how to do it. Good luck

3M Restoration kit
Old 12-21-08, 01:10 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

There is a sticky in the "Automotive Care & Detailing" section on this. Lots of people including me have don this. Check it out.

Sticky: headlight restoration with 1500, 2000, PLastX
Old 12-21-08, 02:47 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair
There is a sticky in the "Automotive Care & Detailing" section on this. Lots of people including me have don this. Check it out.

Sticky: headlight restoration with 1500, 2000, PLastX

Old 12-22-08, 12:39 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

yes!! I missed that sticky.

now, I still think this kit sold by 3m just makes it so much more simpler.
Old 12-23-08, 09:46 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

how much was this kit? it does look more simple then the one in the sticky BUT how long will this last before u have to do it again?
Old 12-23-08, 10:04 AM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of doing that this weekend, since my both of my headlight got moisture in them. This [Sticky: headlight restoration with 1500, 2000, PLastX]; is very helpful. Save some cash DIY.
Old 12-23-08, 10:20 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep in mind nothing will ever come close to matching a new set of lights. New lights have a polycarbonate UV hardcoat on the lens(kind of like clearcoat on paint). The yellowing and haze is when that UV coat wears out. Repolishing it will bring it back to a like new shine, but you no longer have the hardcoat on there. You will most likely have to repolish it again every few months to keep it looking new VS a new set of headlights that will stay clear for at least 5 years before hazing over. Just a FYI for everyone. But of course the polishing kit is still much cheaper than a new set of lights!
Old 12-23-08, 11:11 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Keep in mind nothing will ever come close to matching a new set of lights. New lights have a polycarbonate UV hardcoat on the lens(kind of like clearcoat on paint). The yellowing and haze is when that UV coat wears out. Repolishing it will bring it back to a like new shine, but you no longer have the hardcoat on there. You will most likely have to repolish it again every few months to keep it looking new VS a new set of headlights that will stay clear for at least 5 years before hazing over. Just a FYI for everyone. But of course the polishing kit is still much cheaper than a new set of lights!
yes BUT if your doing the polishing thing every few months at i assume (since i didnt look) 49 buck a kit for the polish how many months/time/effort/annoyance is it before its just worth buying new headlights? which cost what.......600-1000?if u do it every 3 months....i think just the time,nuisance of doing it every few months for a year or so would justify the NEW headlights IF you can afford them!

jeff, after you polish,restore the headlights cant you take them someplace and get them UV coated or couldn't you just clear coat them (i know it sounds silly but maybe)
Old 12-23-08, 11:29 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen the 3m kit used in person and it works very well
Old 12-23-08, 12:23 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

sakataj, yes of course buying new headlights is going to be way more expensive. But I was just trying to give a comparison. I guess it's more of a your time VS money kinda thing

Also, a set of polished headlights will never come close to what a brand new set looks like. It will be close, but it is never going to be as clear as a brand new set of lights.
Old 12-23-08, 12:59 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

This 3m kit is about $20 dollars. Autozone had it last week for $17.

This will make the exterior side of the lens clean and clear again, but unless you take the lens out, the interior side of the lens will be the same. Specially if it has moisture.

I noticed that there was a sticky on this, but you have to admit this little kit is much easier. For the money I can afford to it every 6 months if needed. So lets say

500 dollars headlights or

20 dollars every six months.

In a year 40 dollars 2 years 80 dollars etc etc.
Old 12-23-08, 01:13 PM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

I guess when it come down to it is...save some MOOLA for a brand new set of light...
Old 12-23-08, 01:42 PM
kobi2002
Pole Position

I do headlight restore on the side and can tell you a way to let it last more than a year. I give 100% that if it comes back in a year I will do it free and I have yet to have problems.
Its a long process so be ready to be on your car for an hour or so.
1. start with 800 grit wet sand and keep the lights wet
2. after the yellow comes out go to 1000 grit
3. keep using the 1000 till all the 800 grit scratches are out.
4. go to 1500 and do the same
5. go to 2000 and do the same
6. go to 2500 and do the same.

There are wheels you can go to 4000 and your headlights should look 80 new. but if you can't get 4000 grit wheel then thats cool 2500 git would be your end paper.

There are polish wheels you can get from the auto paint store that are 3" and has an attachment to go on a drill. Get the lamb skin wheel ( fur) and 2 foam wheels ( buff and polish if they have ) one is finer than the other. start with the lambskin (fur) and put a fine rubbing compound and go through the motion on the lights. Once done wipe off and use a glaze ( not wax). and do that with the buff wheel then the polish. If you don't want the rubbing compound, meguiars has a mirror glaze for plastic #10 clear plastice cleaner and #17 clear plastic polish . I use the #10 with the buff wheel and the#17 with the polish wheel. you might have to get this on the internet if you can't find it at an auto paint store

Each time you go up in sand paper or polish make sure you get rid of all the scratch marks of the last paper or polish you use. If you have any sratches, they will dull in a few weeks to a few months. But if done right it will last over a year. Just keep in mind that its messy long and you need to use blue painters tape to protect the car. And when using the sand paper keep the lights wet. I charge for this and have customers so I am not bs ing you. The only thing is if the lights are dirty inside it wont look 100% new but will sure damn look better than it did.The other clear coats and all those other thingspeople use on the lights turn turn yellow. Mine just gets dull after a year or so. Try it. but be careful. and take your time

Last edited by kobi2002; 12-23-08 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-23-08, 06:32 PM
SorrGwa
Racer

did 1500, 2000, 3000 grit wet sand.

then several dozen passes with meguirs plastX w/ an orbital polisher at low speed.
Old 12-24-08, 04:28 AM
Gunnut
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Yep. That's why I opted to replace the headlights rather than continually polishing them. I also went ahead and put the clear bra film on the new lights to preserve the hardcoat even longer. New set of headlights were @$540 from Sewell. Sold the old ones for around $250 for the set. Didn't think $300 for new eyes was all that bad. All this is considering I;ll hacve the car another 3 years.
JimA

Quick Reply: Restore your Headlight Lens