GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How can you sue your car insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-02, 11:29 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How can you sue your car insurance?

I have AIG for my auto insurance.
Recently my windshield needs to be replaced.
AIG refuses to pay for the OEM part which the dealers want around $1K for part + labor but only want to pay $400 to have their network replace it with PPG glass + labor.

Having heard from some that PPG glass is crap I obviously don't want it but so far I've been unable to get AIG to pay for oem part. I know it's an up-hill battle to fight with the monstrous insurance company but if anyone who done this before give me any tips I'll try my best. Thanks,
Old 02-25-02, 02:01 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well IM not sure if you can sue them, because of the fine print, it might say somthing like only replace windows/winshield through the companies they select, and as far as replacing the windshield, u know that after replacing a windshield that the seal will never be as good as factory sealed, atleast thats what I heard, so better to get someone like Lexus who would do it as closely to factory seal as possible, What u should try doing is threated to switch insurances, if they dont cover the winshield to be replaced from Lexus, I know the insurance company will make alot more money on u if u stay with them, No matter how big a company is, they hate to lose Customers... I Had a crazy high phone bill through verizon and I told them I was gonna cancel my phone if they dont take care of it, and they ended up giving me credit for a new phone, and covered almost the whole phone bill, If they still dont want to cover it than atleast u know u can get the last laugh since they wont be getting anymore of ur money..

ShOwGS
Old 02-25-02, 02:20 AM
Jooleee
Lead Lap

www.insurance.ca.gov

consumer hotline: 800-827-4357 or 213-897-8921 (if in the LA area), hotline hours from 8-6pm PT

from what i understand, u can talk to these people and they mgith be able to tell u if what the insurance company is doing is right/wrong~ like if they're allowed to do that.

or u can always go talk to a lawyer...
Old 02-25-02, 09:31 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Guys, this has been discussed just a few days ago. Don't know is SC400 was the original poster. But this is the story.

1. Replacing a windshield is not rocket science. It's done every day and most shops guarantee their work. With today's sealants leaking is not an issue.

2. PPG is one of the leading windshield manufacturers - both OEM and replacement. The only difference is that the OEM glass has the car make name on it rather than PPG. They make an excellent product. Nothing to be concerned about.

3. Most Lexus shops do not do their own windshields. They sub it out. So by using Lexus you'll be just putting money in the dealer's pocket for having someone else do the job.

Don't make more of this than you need to. It's a windshield. Get it replaced with the PPG and move on.
Old 02-25-02, 02:30 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Marty,

Yes I posted the windshield question a couple of days ago, hoping to see other members' experience with non-oem windshield. Some replied.

While I don't disagree with what you wrote in general. I'd like to point out a few points:

1. I had replaced several windshields before. One on my Celica, one on the 300Z and another one on a Acura Legend. My experience is the non-oem glass is inferior to oem part. The work performed by the insurance network is mediocre; my rearview mirror vibrated after the replacement.

2. I'm impartial to PPG-brand glass and I'm not taking potshot at it. I only care that the replacement part is as good as the oem part. Let's face it. Lexus is a premium car to insure for a reason. Its parts are high quality and therefore expensive.
So if I paid a premium to insure my car why would I accept being short-changed with an inferior replacement? Would you?

3. I talked to the tech guys at the Lexus dealers. Yes they sub it out, but only the installation part of it. They still use Toyota-brand windshield and sealants.

All in all it's not just a windshield matter. Now it's a windshield but next time it's could be a lot more expensive and safety issue like brake/transmission in an auto accident. I paid a premium insurance and I expect not to be short-changed with inferior replacement parts. Am I the only one in this forum who feel this way?

James