GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Dinged at the Gas Station

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-08, 05:01 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cry because of neck pains and get yourself into an LS460

im joking of course... it would have been simple to ask her for 60 bucks and get it touched up or go threw her insurance and get it resprayed i geuss
Old 11-05-08, 05:11 PM
augdogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tough call homie. I know what it's like to try to keep a clean car (daily driver). Parking in BFE, daily inspections and knowing every little defect i can't afford to fix. I would get an (honest)estimate for the repair and contact the lady. To see of she will foot the bill, insted of ins route, and you can keep your conscious clean.
Old 11-05-08, 05:19 PM
k.r.e.a.m.
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iGOTlexy
Claim it, they will re-spray your whole bumper or cut you a check for an equal amount. Freee modification !!!!!!!!!!

don't listen to this guy, you ever hear of karma? let it ride and the car Gods will reward you for your act of generosity 2x fold.
Old 11-05-08, 05:40 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by augdogg
Tough call homie. I know what it's like to try to keep a clean car (daily driver). Parking in BFE, daily inspections and knowing every little defect i can't afford to fix. I would get an (honest)estimate for the repair and contact the lady. To see of she will foot the bill, insted of ins route, and you can keep your conscious clean.
i'm with the aug-man on this one.
if she wont front the bill, then go through insurance. try to be a nice guy first, then if all else fails...claim ins.

sorry to hear about this
Old 11-05-08, 05:44 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

People can't be going around dinging other peoples' cars for free. I'm with augdogg on this one too.
Old 11-05-08, 06:28 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shlomboy
cry because of neck pains and get yourself into an LS460

im joking of course... it would have been simple to ask her for 60 bucks and get it touched up or go threw her insurance and get it resprayed i geuss
I'm being sued right now by someone who told the cop and all witnesses that he was okay/fine/good. Now, he is "hurt". That particular comment is not something that I find funny what so ever.

On another note, definately go through the insurance and get your fresh bumper. Like others have said, you didn't ask to be hit.
Old 11-05-08, 06:35 PM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

like everyone else said, check to see if she would be willing to pay for the amount... if not insure it. if my car was clean from the start i wouldnt want to pay for a dent i didnt make.
Old 11-06-08, 07:43 AM
scottgs
Pole Position

Well if your bump is trashed or needing some major overhaul, then it might be in your best interest to claim it. They would more than likely repaint the entire bumper, as its very difficult to match the paint up.

If its a very small area and doesnt look bad, then dont worry about it. But it all depends on how picky you are about your vehicles.
Old 11-06-08, 09:28 AM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

Red face

Originally Posted by Kansas
...her front license plate screw put a hole in my rear bumper which cost about $900 to fix at a professional body shop. The total cost was over $1100 by the time I got a rental car to drive while my car was repaired.
That must have been one crazy hole!

Anyway, if you decide to file a claim with the lady's insurance, keep in mind she can deny the incident. If that's the case, you're going to have a dispute. If it was a more serious accident, call the police and have them file a report at the time of the incident. Then again, you didn't do that.

You can go back to Chevron and see if they still have the surveillance footage on hand if you really want to go that far to fix a mere ding.

As others have said, just get an honest estimate and see if the situation can be handled without the involvement of insurance companies.

Now, if it was an aftermarket rear bumper, I would definitely go through insurance.
Old 11-06-08, 10:56 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Old 11-06-08, 11:43 AM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

If the damage is noticeable or badly hit. Then YES reported to her insurance company. I had an incident before where the gals came close and tap me on the rear, but it didn't make such damage so I just let it go and touch it up...It look fine now..Any way, do what you gotta do...
Old 11-06-08, 12:06 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Phamboogie
That must have been one crazy hole!

Anyway, if you decide to file a claim with the lady's insurance, keep in mind she can deny the incident. If that's the case, you're going to have a dispute. If it was a more serious accident, call the police and have them file a report at the time of the incident. Then again, you didn't do that.

You can go back to Chevron and see if they still have the surveillance footage on hand if you really want to go that far to fix a mere ding.

As others have said, just get an honest estimate and see if the situation can be handled without the involvement of insurance companies.

Now, if it was an aftermarket rear bumper, I would definitely go through insurance.
I agree but what difference would it make if it was aftermarket or not paint is paint.
Old 11-06-08, 12:51 PM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

If I pay good money for my body kit, I'd like for it to show.
Old 11-06-08, 01:04 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by k.r.e.a.m.

don't listen to this guy, you ever hear of karma? let it ride and the car Gods will reward you for your act of generosity 2x fold.
karma? what about his innocent cars karma? what bad thing did the car do to deserve being dinged. haha. like when u come outta the grocery store and some a-hole let their cart run into your car or a cart is resting on your car or smacked your door with their door and just walked off......when i got my car it had like 6 small dings in it now has like 14, it makes me so mad, man i just wanna punch those people in the face! just me personally i would claim it BUT maybe u could post a pic on here and we could vote on it for you.

Last edited by sakataj; 11-06-08 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-06-08, 02:27 PM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
karma? what about his innocent cars karma? what bad thing did the car do to deserve being dinged. haha. like when u come outta the grocery store and some a-hole let their cart run into your car or a cart is resting on your car or smacked your door with their door and just walked off......when i got my car it had like 6 small dings in it now has like 14, it makes me so mad, man i just wanna punch those people in the face! just me personally i would claim it BUT maybe u could post a pic on here and we could vote on it for you.
agreed, post the pix and vote on it..

Quick Reply: Dinged at the Gas Station