GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wash Car=Water in Driver Side Floorboard

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-08, 04:19 PM
jdanh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wash Car=Water in Driver Side Floorboard

I pulled the wipers off and the drain vent, poured water on the windsield and checked for water behind the carpet. Did this over and over again for about 15 -20 min. Could not find any plugged holes or feel water. Put it all back together and checked it 3 hours later and it was wet under the mat. I'm at a loss and frustrated.
Old 03-03-08, 04:25 PM
DAVD305
Driver

Its your A/C heater core or condenser,behind your radio,about $2000.00 to fix, but search this topic you will find more about carpet being wet.
Old 03-03-08, 04:33 PM
jdanh
Driver School Candidate

the only thing is I wasnt driving it. I back it out of garage to wash and put it back and then its soaked. Car is only on for 5 min. tops total. Can it still be the A/C?
Old 03-03-08, 04:39 PM
DAVD305
Driver

Oh no if its like that dont think its the A/C then, has to be a leak some where.Just pull your carpet up on the driver side and leave it ready to be lifted, throw water on car and then pull the carpet up and you will see where the water is dripping into the carpet.The carpet is very easy to lift,all thats holding it is staples and a clips.
Old 03-03-08, 04:49 PM
DoWnAqT
Driver

kinda weird does it smell like anything else??? hopefully its water....it cant be the a/c, if it isnt on it cant have condsenstion on the evaporator, therefore no water on the floor. If it was your a/c, it would be the drain hose isnt through the floor. I think the windshield could be leaking. did you have the windshield replaced recently??? if so, id be shooting for that area. that is more so where your problem would be. the wiper cowl drains mostly outside. and the a/c condensor...dont quote me, but on toyota's they are on the passenger side. not the drivers side. So check the windshield areas first. if you put a spray adaptor on a hose and hang it from a coat rack or something...then spray the car down aiming at the windshield...then get inside the car with the doors and windows closed (make sure your seats are laid flat and you can see up inside you dash, in other words remove the panel that is right above your feet. so you can see up into the dash) then while its spraying...just watch for water coming in with a flashlight. that should norrow down where the water is coming into on the drivers side. and again its most likely the windshield....but no promises....or you could find someone that specializes in finding and fixing water leaks in cars. we have a guy that comes to our dealer called the water doctor....hes found pretty much every leak weve thrown at him.
Old 03-04-08, 10:32 AM
jdanh
Driver School Candidate

Ok, Thanks for the imput...I will check it again with the carpet pulled back. I dont know if the windshield has been replaced, I bought the car used almost a year ago. How much does a WATER DOCTOR cost???? I'm trying to keep it a cheap fix but we have had so much rain here in TEXAS lately it mite be worth it. The GS stays in the garage but I got to get out eventually.
Old 03-04-08, 04:26 PM
xhackr
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that it makes much difference, but for clarity the A/C part mentioned would not be a condenser, but an evaporator core. The OEM part is about $350 and the book time is a bit over 9 hours.

Either way, other than condensation not draining, nothing in the A/C circuit would leak water. The heater core or connections could, but you would have to know it was antifreeze, not water. Also, both are on the passenger side. It must be a water leak - windshield is the most likely.