GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

looks like my starter is going...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-08, 09:22 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looks like my starter is going...

this is the story of my 1999 GS300 on new years eve.

i went to start my car yesterday and the first time i turn the key all the way like i would normally do to start it.... nothing. no clicks, no noise, NOTHING. so i was thinking maybe i just didn't turn it all the way by accident. i tried it a second time and i hear two maybe three clicks and then no more noise and the car doesn't start. and finally on the third attempt to start it, the car starts normally.

i did some quick searching and reading and it looks like the starter might be going bad. i have already checked my battery cables seeing how i just changed my battery two weeks ago and they're tight... i got it changed for free at autozone by the way as a part of the eight year warranty ...

so for those of you who have had a starter go bad... can you confirm these symptoms? and how much was the starter and labor to replace it??? i wish this happened earlier so i could've taken advantage of sewell lexus' free shipping for the holidays.
Old 01-03-08, 11:39 AM
Edzlex
Driver School Candidate

Default You may have some time!

Well my 99Gs did the same exact thing. Had a hard time getting it started the first time. This was about two months ago. The starter ranges about $200, give or take 50 bucks depending on dealer or after market. The labor is the killer. Being against the firewall behind the motor, the dealer quoted a bit over $900 for the labor. A regular shop would be less of course but still up there due to the labor.
Good new is now, two months later. My car shows no sypmtoms of the starter going. It acted up every so often for about three weeks (requiring @ 2 or 3 turns of the ignition). Buys me some time to change it when i do my next tune up. Seems fine but better safe then sorry!
Old 01-03-08, 02:10 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Other than so it will cost more to fix it, why would Lexus put the starter where it is? I agree with an earlier poster that it would be subject to a shorter life due to heat damage. Here is how to test a 2002 430 starter:

NOTICE:
These tests must be performed within 3 to 5 seconds to
avoid during out the coil.
1. PERFORM PULL-IN TEST
(a) Disconnect the field coil lead wire from terminal C.
(b) Connect the battery to the magnetic switch.
Check that the clutch pinion gear moves outward.
2. PERFORM HOLD-IN TEST
With battery connected as above with the clutch pinion gear
out, disconnect the negative (-) lead from terminal C. Check
that the pinion gear remains out.
3. INSPECT CLUTCH PINION GEAR RETURN
Disconnect the negative (-) lead from the switch body. Check
that the clutch pinion gear returns inward.
4. PERFORM NO-LOAD PERFORMANCE TEST
(a) Connect the battery and ammeter to the starter.
(b) Check that the starter rotates smoothly and steadily with
the pinion gear moving out. Check that the ammeter
shows the specified current.
Specified current: 100 A or less at 11.5 V
Old 01-04-08, 07:26 AM
minla007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gsCrazy
this is the story of my 1999 GS300 on new years eve.

i went to start my car yesterday and the first time i turn the key all the way like i would normally do to start it.... nothing. no clicks, no noise, NOTHING. so i was thinking maybe i just didn't turn it all the way by accident. i tried it a second time and i hear two maybe three clicks and then no more noise and the car doesn't start. and finally on the third attempt to start it, the car starts normally.

i did some quick searching and reading and it looks like the starter might be going bad. i have already checked my battery cables seeing how i just changed my battery two weeks ago and they're tight... i got it changed for free at autozone by the way as a part of the eight year warranty ...

so for those of you who have had a starter go bad... can you confirm these symptoms? and how much was the starter and labor to replace it??? i wish this happened earlier so i could've taken advantage of sewell lexus' free shipping for the holidays.
ha...same thing happend to me on nye too!! it was the starter...replaced for $650...labor on it is killer....was having same symptons for a few weeks, finally died on NYE...had to get it towed....

you should get it fixed before you are left stranded somewhere....
Old 01-04-08, 08:11 AM
Zishan
Driver

From my little knowledge of the starter problems, and from gathering some impressions here that they might be going bad due to "heat" issues from the engine, would it be preventive to in some way insulate the starter blocking engine heat? Or maybe run some small plumbing/tubing to the starter so that it gets more air/cooling ability?
Old 01-06-08, 09:05 AM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zishan
From my little knowledge of the starter problems, and from gathering some impressions here that they might be going bad due to "heat" issues from the engine, would it be preventive to in some way insulate the starter blocking engine heat? Or maybe run some small plumbing/tubing to the starter so that it gets more air/cooling ability?
not sure about insulating the starter as i'm not sure if it itself gets hot. so insulation might actually make it worse. maybe some tube/plumbing to direct cool air to it might work... but where would the tube direct the cool air from? it's pretty hot in the engine bay.
Old 01-06-08, 05:30 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by minla007
ha...same thing happend to me on nye too!! it was the starter...replaced for $650...labor on it is killer....was having same symptons for a few weeks, finally died on NYE...had to get it towed....

you should get it fixed before you are left stranded somewhere....
how much did you pay for the starter itself? and where'd you get it from?
Old 01-06-08, 05:46 PM
sahtt
Rookie

Those symptoms can be caused by the starter going out. Just be thankful you don't have the v8 engine, now that's a fun starter job. It's INside the engine and a major PITA to replace. To find more information about failing starter symptoms in case more develop try gs300 starter failure.
Old 01-06-08, 06:18 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

thanks for all the replies guys. another thing i want to find out is does anyone know where the starter is for a 1999 gs300? does anyone have diagrams?

and has anyone rebuilt the starter themselves???
Old 01-07-08, 09:37 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

can anyone chime in? it would be appreciated.