GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Check engine light -> updated ECU

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-02, 08:08 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Check engine light -> updated ECU

So I have a question for those of you "in the know." Last weekend I was pulling my '01 GS430 out of the garage and noticed that the following lights were on: Check Engine, VSC, VSC Off.

I called the local Lexus service center and they told me that the computer had noticed something strange, but that it was nothing to worry about and that I could continue to drive my car. I just needed to bring it in for a few minutes during the work week so they could pull the diagnostic code and reset it. Sure enough, I drove the car for a couple of days with no problems and then my wife took the car in to have the code pulled.

They said that probably a cylinder had misfired, at least enough that the engine computer thought it was something worth reporting. They also said that there was a recent ECU upgrade that I should have installed when I bring my car in for my next scheduled servicing (20K miles; I'm at 18.5K right now).

So that's all fine and all. Nothing's wrong with my car, etc. I just wondered if others had heard of this and, if so, if you have more details on the experience. Oh yeah...and I wanted to make sure that the ECU upgrade isn't going to interfere with my L-Tuned steering ECU. I assume they're completely separate units.

Thanks...
Old 01-17-02, 08:18 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

I can't answer the first part of your question but for the second part I believe your steering ECU will not be affected by this upgrade since it seems to be an upgrade to the engine ECU. Please ask the service guys what the ECU upgrade exactly does just for fun...and then let us folks know here.

Brent
Old 01-17-02, 08:29 AM
RacingAristo

Would you please also ask if there is any ECU update for 2001 GS430 and if possible, post what feature is updated or added? Thanks a lot.
Old 01-17-02, 08:36 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by RacingAristo
Would you please also ask if there is any ECU update for 2001 GS430 and if possible, post what feature is updated or added? Thanks a lot.
Hey RA...

I thought you weren't going to be here anymore..? Looks like you broke your New Year's Resolution already. Hee Hee. Let me know when you want to look at the WR intake (because I know eventually you will want to ...AGAIN ) Mod Fever is INCURABLE

Brent
Old 01-17-02, 09:51 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

I have heard that if your gas cap is not completely seated, it can cause the ECU to kick error codes, something to do with an emmissions sensor. Not saying that this is what caused your problem, but it's quick and inexpensive to check
Old 01-17-02, 11:19 AM
RacingAristo

Originally posted by BLiu

Hey RA...

I thought you weren't going to be here anymore..? Looks like you broke your New Year's Resolution already. Hee Hee. Let me know when you want to look at the WR intake (because I know eventually you will want to ...AGAIN ) Mod Fever is INCURABLE

Brent
Brent,

No, I haven't broken the new year's resolution. As you may already know, I've had the engine check light on for 3+ months. Since dealer couldn't find any problem, I guess toward the torque converter. The constant on engine check light bothers me so I'm looking for any kind of method including the stock ECU update to solve my problem.

Though I want to do some minor upgrade of my car, my schedule wouldn't allow me to do so. Plus I have such a hard time to contact those japanese companys. Took them months to reply. even if i wrote in japanese. Geez.
Old 01-17-02, 07:01 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been having this problem for a long time on my GS400 and I was told that it was from the TPS ( Throttle Positioning Sensor ) being bad, but recently I was told by lexus's master tech. that its not my tps thats bad but the computer itself has to be changed. So to anyone who has this problem make sure you have a master tech to look at it before it becomes really bad like mine did because it will drive you nuts!!!!
Old 01-21-02, 12:57 AM
ZoomSport
Driver School Candidate

My brother's (infinite007) GS had that same problem. The check Engine light and vsc on and off lights went on. Also, the car wouldnt respond. The engine was on and even if you pressed the accelerator, it wouldnt move. I resorted to restarting the car and it finally moved, but the light remained on. We will bring it in in about 2 weeks to have the code pulled.