GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

those of you who has PASPORT 8500:

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-02, 06:20 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default those of you who has PASPORT 8500:

Hey guys.

Anyone of you that has the Passport 8500 Detector take advantage of the Safety Warning System (SWS)? I see that as a feature on the 8500 and is wondering if it really works. Especially those of you in So.Cal, does it really tell you if constructions or accidents are ahead or something?

thanks!
Old 01-11-02, 07:14 PM
joeyGS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I DUNNO but I luv my 8500!!!! I can cancel X band and enjoy the ride!!! Passport finally nails it!!!
Old 01-11-02, 11:02 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by joeyGS430
I DUNNO but I luv my 8500!!!! I can cancel X band and enjoy the ride!!! Passport finally nails it!!!
what's the advantage of cancelling Xband? Less false alarm? But wouldn't that make 8500 vulnerable to Xband guns?
Old 01-12-02, 07:33 AM
broke_gs
Driver

I don't know about your area, but around here, X-band is so old that none of the police use it. The only signals I get from X-band are usually false alarms. I haven't seen SWS work around where I live yet. But I love my 8500. I especially like the mute button on the cord because my arm rests near the cigarette lighter so it's a close distance to hit the button.
Old 01-12-02, 04:17 PM
MidniteLexus
Driver

Default while on the subject...

Whats a good radar to buy.. I need a good one.. these cops are killing me... what else should i look for when buying one.. what are the the x ka, and stuff bands.. im new to this *****!!!

Should I make this a new thread?

Thanks,

Midnite
Old 01-12-02, 09:41 PM
broke_gs
Driver

Go here: www.speedzones.com They do a pretty good review of radar detectors and give you a little info on radar. Hope that helps. Spend money on a good one because getting a cheap one will be like just not having one at all. It is a very good investment so invest wisely.
Old 01-12-02, 10:20 PM
MidniteLexus
Driver

Default awesome...

I'm reading it right now...

any others with personal experiences with radars and their effectiveness? Any recomondations?

Midnite
Old 01-13-02, 01:54 PM
broke_gs
Driver

I like the valentine 1 but it is pretty costly. that and it's a pretty big unit. I didn't want to pay the extra money for the directional arrows. Usually when the radar goes off, you slow down. It doesn't matter where the cop is. It is only important if they are behind you or in front of you. If they to the side of you, it doesn't matter because they can't get a read on you anyways. I like the Bel 980 but overall I got the passport 8500 because it looked nice and rated very high at a decent price. And like I said before, I especially like the mute button being on the cord.
Old 01-13-02, 03:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,643 Posts

Check latest issue of Car & Driver - a great detector shoot out. The Valentine is the most sensitive detector, but I personally don't like the size, the cost, and the higher level of false positives.

I have a Passport 7500 and I also have X-band turned OFF since it's almost never used and this way I get almost no annoying warnings around town.
Old 01-13-02, 03:14 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default detectors, again!

MidnightLexus: I suggest that you do a search on radar detectors on this site - you'll get a great number of threads that discuss the pros/cons of 8500 and Valentine One - might also check out Car and Drivers test of detectors. Also agree with broke_gs - don't skimp, it'll give you a false sense of security. Either get a 8500 or a V1 or wait till you can.
Old 01-13-02, 03:19 PM
MidniteLexus
Driver

Default ok.. now..

I'm now debating bewteen the Valentine 1 and the Passport 8500. I was set on the 8500 but now I'm gonna wait til i read the car and driver article....

I know for a fact that I'm going to turn off X band, because around here they use Ka to get ya!

Midnite
Old 01-13-02, 03:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,643 Posts

You can't turn off on X-Band on the Valentine. For $400 I expect more than just great detection.
Old 01-13-02, 04:06 PM
damnboy
Pole Position

Hey guys,
Just curious. Anyone ever got caught by police when you have Valentine 1 or the Passport 8500 ON?
Old 01-13-02, 04:19 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

Originally posted by broke_gs
I like the valentine 1 but it is pretty costly. that and it's a pretty big unit. I didn't want to pay the extra money for the directional arrows. Usually when the radar goes off, you slow down. It doesn't matter where the cop is. It is only important if they are behind you or in front of you. If they to the side of you, it doesn't matter because they can't get a read on you anyways. I like the Bel 980 but overall I got the passport 8500 because it looked nice and rated very high at a decent price. And like I said before, I especially like the mute button being on the cord.
After reading all the articles/reviews, I put in my order for the V1 last week, well, also the speeding ticket I received helped me made my decision also. I figure the ticket alone would have paid for 1/2 of V1 already...,

Talked to V1 rep, and they came out with a newer model since march 2001, it's got better filter for laser and other bands, also they changed the outside casing, so it's smaller also. I aksed cause there are people selling their V1 on ebay that was just bought 10 months ago, and it required ~$200 upgrade! the upgrade is mainly because of the casing. Plus, with the 30 day trial gurantee, I figure you can't lose!
Old 01-13-02, 04:35 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Never!

A few close calls but no tickets since V1 - been using mine for 3-4 years and I don't drive like an old lady. I don't really understand the comment about the size - yes, it's apparently a little bigger than the competitors but then, they don't have rear-looking aperture either. Here's a picture of mine with standard "dangling" wire and all - see for yourself. As for the price, consider it the "Lexus" of detectors - you could buy a lesser detector and it will perhaps be "adequate". If I wanted adequate, I'd have bought a Camry or Maxima, etc. instead of a Lexus - nevertheless, I think you'll find fierce loyalty among 8500 and V1 owners - we all believe that our wisdom led us to choose the brand we own and everyone should be so wise!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: those of you who has PASPORT 8500: