GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help! Alternator/Starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-07, 11:18 AM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Alternator/Starter problem

2000 GS400
129,500 miles
My problem has been on going over the last couple of months but only appears on the cold mornings (which in North Fla is 40-50's). Last week on 2 different mornings when i tried to start the car nothing would happen..although the indicator lights would light up and then on about the 3 or 4th try the car would start. I would then not have any other problems during the day after the car was warmed up and the temperature.

Well this morning when I tried to start it, nothing happened at all...no indicator lights just a blank sound when I would turn it over. I then used my wifes IS250 to jump start it and then it kicked in. I then was driving to work and after about 4 miles my car just stalled while driving...luckily I could turn it enough to coast into a gas station. I then had my wife meet me again and jump started it. Now that the car was working and warmed up I drove it back home and called AAA to tow it to the dealer...didn't want to risk going down I-95 and losing power while driving. Now, I think it may be the alternator and not the starter? thoughts?

Now, I took it to the dealer for an oil change last Wednesday and they just did a high level view and thought the problem was the starter...about $1200 worth to fix it. .Ouch...I said no but wanted to bring the car back another day for them to keep it overnight and then check it first thing in the AM so they can see the problem. The battery is brand new and the connections where checked by the dealer last week and they were ok.

Now, I changed the battery 2 months ago when the problem started and then it seemed to go away for a month or so. Now just within the last couple of weeks it becoming more frequent.

So
1. Is it a starter or alternator problem or both...do they depend on each other and should I have both replaced at the same time since I am doing one?
2. The dealer cost will be about $1200 or a local shop that I called in the Yellowpages would charge about $450...they do imports and have been in Jax, Fla for over 24 years, ASC certified and have a good reputation from the 1 local person I talked to that has lived here for a long time.
3. THe local shop said they use the Bosch Alternator? does that sound right or should I be looking for something else-

the dealer said it would take about 8 hrs labor since the v8 is not a friendly motor to get to the starter, etc.

I looked in the threads for recent info and that's why had the dealer check the connections, but didn't see much on alternators. Any feedback on local repair shops in the Jacksonville FL market would be helpful too
Old 02-06-07, 05:00 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Default Good News

Maybe my post was too long, sorry...
surprised I got no response at all from anyone. oh well.

The good news is I got my car back today. After the dealer kept it overnight and then diagnosed the problem today... it was a coroded terminal over the battery on the positive side and then they cleaned the negative. The battery checked out fine and the alternator was putting out
The total cost was $48, which is much better than the $12-1400 for starter or alternator with labor. Made me have completely different thoughts about the local dealer here in North Florida...an expensive situation in which they could have taken me for a ride but did not.
Old 02-06-07, 07:54 PM
MrExecutiv
Lexus Champion

good that they found the small problem, instead of giving you BS that you need to replace an expensive part.
Old 05-17-07, 08:16 AM
minla007
Pole Position

bobby,

has this problem been completely solved by cleaning the battery terminals? just curious b/c i have been having the same exact problems as you did. i am goin to check/clean my battery terminals.
Old 05-17-07, 08:49 AM
maxmethods
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same exact problem, I have noticed already that there is corrosion covering the connections of my battery. If this solves it, then that would be the best thing in the world!!

is this something that i can do myself???
Old 05-17-07, 11:37 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fwiw, getting to the starter on the Gs400 involves totally removing the Intake manifold and all associated parts, it isn't going to be cheap at the dealer as you found out. Glad you got it fixed inexpensivly though, thats always nice!