GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

General Question When Buying a Gs300

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-06, 11:00 AM
stsleeper9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Question When Buying a Gs300

Alright I have been looking for a GS300 for a while and here is a question I can't figure out. What if any difference does a corporate lease car. Over the past 3 months I have stumbled across over 20 gs300's and car fax reports about 70% being corportae fleet leases at one point in their history. Is there any buyer beware with these cars.

I am seriously considering a 2000 with 88,500 miles on it. The paint and body are in fair condition. History reports that the passagner rear door skin was replaced. You can see that the driver side fender, bumper, and headlights have been replaced. The driver side door is off by a few mm (compare to the rear doors alignment). The interior has two small black dots on the headliner (owner says its eyeliner?) rear passanger seat beat has a soda stain on it. Front rotors are warped, steering bushings are worn. Other then that its 8.5-9/10 interior, and 7.5-8/10 exterior. Its black so the owner took it through the car wash so the thing looked like someone spit buffed the car with a dirt rag = P. Regardless its standard in terms of upgrades, black with tan interior, and ower is looking for 13,600? Haggled from 15k

Kelly Blue book suggests 12,100k for this car in fair condition and 13,400 in good condition. So anyone help me???

Cliffnotes:
Is a Corporate lease car (registered as a fleet car) in this condition worth it or should buyer beware.

Last edited by stsleeper9; 10-25-06 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-25-06, 09:10 AM
stsleeper9
Driver School Candidate

No one can help me on this question or is it that dumb of a question
Old 10-25-06, 09:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well in general i am not a fan of any leased car, that means the car is driven by someone who probably didn't really care much about it since it will be a lease return of some sort, i think.

but if you want one, check it out and everything seems fine, no extensive wear or odd things, then it could be a deal

dont' worry, there is never a dumb question here just ask and you will get help

welcome to clublexus btw!
Old 10-25-06, 10:07 AM
stsleeper9
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much for your reply. Basically what I assumed. I was just curious to see if members have had problems with such cars and would steer me away. Like I said 70% of cars I am finding for sale are prevoius leases. Guess I will just keep looking.

And thanks for the welcome been a member at supraforums for quiet some time (stsleeper94), and they recommend me here to ask all the great lexus questions = P
Old 10-25-06, 10:22 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is all in the luck of the draw. We've leased before and we took care of the car as if it was ours (meaning no abuse ).
Old 10-25-06, 11:52 AM
gdout24
Driver School Candidate

a coporate lease normally includes all maintenance. 70% are leases, because most people dont buy these cars new, they lease them, for obvious reasons. also, someone who puts all their faith into carfax to buy a car is a moron. I have seen cars that have had both rear quarters replaced, and carfax said it had no accidents. Carfax is a flawed system! But to the moron who started this post...keep putting your blind faith into a business that is regulated by NO ONE.

Also, if you do not know what to look for when buying a used car, then you should just go buy new anyway. At least when you buy new, they **** you from the front, instead of too your back. Someone who will put all their effort into running a carfax, instead of looking the vehicle over themselves, deserves to get ****ed anyway. No excuse for ignorance in this day and age.
Old 10-25-06, 03:30 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

There is too many other non-hit, clean car's out there. Be patient and you will see. Don't jump on this one cause you will regreat it. Good luck, check autotrader.com.
Old 10-25-06, 03:56 PM
DoMaMuy
Rookie

Yeah, take your time looking for a good candidate GS3. Dont rush and buy one that you end up discovering that there's something wrong with it. $17K is a good price for a good-condition GS300 with around 70K miles and a clean exterior and interior. I was looking for one, so I know what I'm talking about. Now, I'm a GS4 guy.
Old 10-26-06, 07:48 AM
stsleeper9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DoMaMuy
Yeah, take your time looking for a good candidate GS3. Dont rush and buy one that you end up discovering that there's something wrong with it. $17K is a good price for a good-condition GS300 with around 70K miles and a clean exterior and interior. I was looking for one, so I know what I'm talking about. Now, I'm a GS4 guy.
Yeah I thought the bigger motor would be fun but have played with the motor on my LS400 at one time and decided I like the less cluster of the 2j. Also I have a 94 TT supra and so many 2j part lying around I would either have a large garage sale or help out an existing 2j = P