GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2001 GS430 ML+NAV access to amplifier and wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-06, 08:32 PM
F242
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 GS430 ML+NAV access to amplifier and wiring diagram

Can someone point me please to the place that tells me how to get access to the wires that connect speakers from Mark Levinson amplifier on 2001 GS430 with NAV? And what wires are that are connected to the amplifier.

I really searched for about 2 hours and could not find any information about this. Your help would be appreciated.

I am trying to put Parrot 320LS bluetooth hands free sound through car speakers while stereo is muted. I have already done this with the center speaker that was very easy to access when deck is pulled out. Center speaker works OK, but unfortunately that speaker is very small one and it is not loud enough. Parrot 320LS hands free unit has three more amplified channels that I can use to get some more loudness out of them.

I can post pictures after I am done with the set up if some one is interested.
Old 06-18-06, 10:55 PM
audax
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Motorola HFC850 than I installed in my 02 GS430 with ML and Nav.

I found it best to wire into the driver's side rear speaker to avoid echo with the microphone mounted next to the rear view mirror.

Obviously, I connected the mute output from the Bluetooth unit to the Mute input on the amplifier. I then used a 4PDT relay** (triggered by the mute output, also) than switches the output to the driver's side rear speaker from the ML amp to the Bluetooth output.

All the wires you need to access are behind the passenger's side kick panel. Here's is a shot of the connector's you need to look for:

You need to work with IL2 and IL3.

IL2 connector:
Yellow: Driver's Rear Speaker (+)
Black: Driver's Rear Speaker (-)

* The wires running toward the underside of the dash will feed the speaker. The wires running toward the back of the car go to the amp.

IL3 connector:
Yellow/Green: Amp mute

** I could have used a DPDT relay but I already had a 4PDT lying around.
Old 06-19-06, 02:06 PM
F242
Driver School Candidate

Default Door speakers?

I want to thank you for your information it is definitely leading me to the right direction.

Parrot actually comes with the relay box that has 4 channels available in it. I actually so far used only one relied channel to the front center speaker only, because it was so easy to access, but it sounded pretty soft, plus I could hear some voice distortion at the high volume. I think it is just not powerful enough to handle entire required volume. I also tried to use external speakers under the dash, and they sounded much better when directed to the listener without any distortion, but when I had to hide them under the dash, their volume was not enough ether. So I think the only option is to use existing speakers. I was actually was hoping to use both driver and passenger door speakers, both twitter and the big one at the bottom as I have total 4 channels available to me. Two per door. Do you think that would make sense? I am not that concerned about the echo. I had not problem with the echo even when I used center speaker directly pointing to the microphone. I guess Parrot has echo canceling built in. Or maybe I just got lucky?
Old 06-19-06, 02:19 PM
audax
Pole Position

I mainly used the rear left speaker because it is the closest to the driver's ear and because its the speaker Lexus used if you had the telephone option on the car. My Motorola unit has echo cancelling also but I still chose to keep the speaker away from the mic to increase sound quality. Everyone I talk to on the phone while in the car can't even tell I'm on speakerphone. They always are surprised to find out that I'm even in a car. The Bluetooth unit generates more than enough volume to drive the speaker cleanly. My volume is usually around 80% of the max and sounds great.

Personally I would just drive one speaker. I would guess that the primary reason the Parrot kit supplies 4 channels is that some factory car stereos do not have a Mute input. Therefore you need a relay that can block out all four channels. My father-in-law's Caddilac is like that.

Happy to help in any way I can...
Old 06-19-06, 04:31 PM
F242
Driver School Candidate

Default Question about IL3 (Yellow/Green: Amp mute) connector

Question about IL3 (Yellow/Green: Amp mute) connector.

I already use Yellow/Green mute connector on the head unit (Audio+NAV). Is there is any difference between them?
Old 06-19-06, 06:56 PM
audax
Pole Position

Originally Posted by F242
Question about IL3 (Yellow/Green: Amp mute) connector.

I already use Yellow/Green mute connector on the head unit (Audio+NAV). Is there is any difference between them?
Nope... it's the same wire.
Old 06-19-06, 09:12 PM
F242
Driver School Candidate

Default still not completely satisfied how loud the speech is :(

Well, I now have it connected to rear-left speaker and I am still not completely satisfied how loud the speech is
At least distortions I gone. I guess this is Parrot’s problem to be not powerful enough.

Now I am thinking to go for front-right. Thanks to your diagram I am thinking to connect it to the IJ3 7 &12.

It is getting late, so I will have to finish it tomorrow.
Old 06-19-06, 10:49 PM
audax
Pole Position

Originally Posted by F242
Well, I now have it connected to rear-left speaker and I am still not completely satisfied how loud the speech is
A buddy of mine has the Parrot unit in his 740. I wasn't impressed with the volume either... at highway speeds and at full volume, it was hard to hear the other party. His was wired into the front right speaker.
Old 06-20-06, 07:51 PM
F242
Driver School Candidate

Default I finished this project.

I finished this project.

What I end up doing was not to use second door speaker, but instead I used generic $7 Wal-Mart 10W speaker and I put it under the dashboard from passenger side.

I tried second door speaker and I was still was not happy. What I have realized was that door speakers are more tuned toward lower frequencies and when they are used in combination with the tweeters they sounded great. But just when to be used for voice they really cut off too much higher frequencies. Generic speaker was tuned more to higher frequencies and when combined with door speaker they sounded better. At least to my taste.

I am still not 100% happy on the maximum loudness I can get from Parrot, but having speakers from both sides of your head also helped a bit.