GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Scraped the Underside of my Front Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-01, 02:00 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2001 GS430 is only a week old and I foolishly made a parking mistake, by parking in one of those spots that have the concrete slab in front of it. I parked it in too deep and scraped the bottom of the front stock spoiler/bumper. If you get under the car, you can see the significant scratches where the paint is torn away from that ABS Plastic.

You really can't see it unless you are laying on the ground, so I am thinking about touching it up for now and then kicking my butt! I was thinking about having it repainted, but that would cost hundreds of dollars for something that would eventually be beat up the longer it is on the road.

Ahh damn! That sucks, but it could have been worse I guess. Damn parking lots!

Just venting and feel free to throw in your opinions if this ever happened or what you would do if it did!

Thanks!

Old 07-03-01, 02:05 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Bro, I get that all the time man. There is really no need to do anything because you will encounter "scraping" of some sort underneath in different situations. Its enevitable

As long as I don't scrap my rims. (knock on wood)

Old 07-03-01, 02:34 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DIESELMAN63
Bro, I get that all the time man. There is really no need to do anything because you will encounter "scraping" of some sort underneath in different situations. Its enevitable

As long as I don't scrap my rims. (knock on wood)

DIESELMAN63, your are good guy. Thanks for the support and it did make me feel better. Who cares about that part that no one sees! But I do hear you on the rims (KOW), that is something that everyone sees.

Besides the scratches on the underside look like a nice pattern. I'm trying to convince and kid myself here ;-)

There should be a ban on those concrete blocks and I should be more careful in parking!
Old 07-03-01, 03:12 PM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

hey man funny you should mention this now ,, I just installed an Aftermarket front Bumper and it happend to me today going to the store,,, I scrapt the underneath of the car ,,,, I wouldnt worry about it man its alright really, no one can see it when you are driving and you will only notice it if you lay under the car and thats one place I dont wanna be
Old 07-03-01, 05:18 PM
susej

dude,

well man join the club. i've had my '01 G3 for 2 months and last week did the same damn thing. i coulda cried. if yer like me, you try to pull in as far as possible so the idiots and nutjobs don't hit the rear of your car in the parkin' lots.

i did the same thing to both Lexus coupes I used to own. the G3 dudn't ride as low as the coupes did, and I sorta forgot all about avoiding those curb thingies. I didn't do too much damage and like you said, you gotta lie on your back to even see it.

by the way, your dealer will probably touch it up for you at no charge. it wasn't a complete refinish or anything, and you can still feel the scrapes with your hand. but it made me feel better. took my dealer about ten minutes, salesman just grinned when i told him and it was like something he sees all the time. this is the third Lex i've bought from him and i guess he wants to keep me happy.

take care, you're totally normal man...a lot of us have done the same thing.
Old 07-03-01, 08:41 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't worry about it

Don't let it get to you, I did the same to my TTE front spoiler on my friend's driveway. As long as no one can see it I'd forget it happened. (I know how much it'll bug you though, I haven't forgotten about mine, I just live with it) and next time you know to be a little more cautious around those concrete blocks.

I'll even go one better - way back when I had my first car (86 Mustang GT-purchased it new), I got the windows tinted and had headlight covers (blackout kits), I was making a turn in a parking lot and they had a full blown concrete/grass divider about 6" high and 2 feet across. Well with the new tint and being a new driver, I kind of forgot which shopping center I was in and didn't notice the divider -- oh yeah Dukes of Hazzard time jumped right over it clear to the other side. Talk about beating myself up over that one.
Old 07-03-01, 10:23 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

I feel for all of you, but it has happened to me too...

Johnny Mo- Thats terrible!
Old 07-04-01, 02:23 PM
dgangi

Unhappy Me too

I have had the same parking curb mishap with EVERY car I have owned. Some of my cars had higher noses than others, but there's always that damn parking curb somewhere that is higher than my air dam and I always seem to find them.

The best cure I have found for such a problem is to stay off my knees. That way I never see the damage and eventually forget about the whole incident.

I guess the only way to avoid the situation is to buy an SUV or pickup truck. I have never had a parking curb incident with my Tahoe. In fact, I have to be careful not to pull up too far too fast. I've actually run over some parking curbs with that big truck.

Thx...Doug
Old 07-05-01, 01:02 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Well went to the dealer today and they couldn't do anything about it, just refered me to a paint guy that would most likely sand it down and repaint it again, costing me hundreds of more dollars. Not worth it, and I did feel better touching it up on my own. At least it really can't be seen.

I like that other member post where the dealer actually touched it up for him, now that is service!

Damn parking lot median, concrete, whatever you call them! ;-)