GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Heater core issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-17, 12:28 PM
MrMeeseeks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand about ready to call it quits on the car. Randomly started having massive power loss issues. Hoping it's just a vacuum leak but it was pretty damn bad. Thinking of just selling it for $1k as a parts car and being done with it. Taking my $2k loss and remembering how much I severely hate cars.

The bypass seemed to work great. First night I drove it home and it was flawless.

Drove it 5 miles Sunday to Petsmart and it was having some steam from the back of the head where the hose goes, figured it was kinked and saw some leakage. Fixed that when I got home. No leaking, no nothing. Now the massive power loss issues. Hoping it's the secondary vent hose that goes from side of head to the air filter hose.

IDK. I'm just so done.

/rant
Old 02-01-17, 12:51 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The massive power loss issue could be that the hose that the hose in the back that the steam was coming off of may have leaked some water/coolant over the rear plastic spark plug cover, and into the spark plug channels. So, the ignition spark for those 2 cylinder in the rear is not going to the spark plug, but instead the grounded engine by way of the water/coolant around each spark plug.

This is just a hypothesis. I have experienced both the hose break/leak in the rear and also water in the spark plugs channel, but never at the same time. If it is not a super hot day or two where you live the water will sit there for a while.
If there is water there, maybe take that rear plastic spark plug cover off, lift the rear 2 spark plug wires out and away from the spark plug, and use a hot hair dryer for a few minutes to remove the last bit of water in there.

If this is the problem.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by kene; 02-01-17 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-02-17, 10:19 AM
MrMeeseeks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 90% sure it is an injector. I replaced the little hose and checked for leaks. There was (thankfully) no leaking like I was thinking there was. We were unplugging sparkplug wires from the distributor while it was running and all of them made the car run worse EXCEPT when we unplugged one of them. So we were thinking it could be anything from spark plug to dead cylinder.
Checked for codes and got code 25 which states bad air/fuel and would normally mean a sensor, but those are all perfect.
Buddy of mine had a couple of these and he said it is a common thing for the injectors to just randomly act up. This would also explain the bad air/fuel mix.

I just put up a CL ad, selling the car as it sits for $1000 OBO. I am done with it and getting a brand new car (leasing through my dealership) and just dealing with extreme budgeting to be able to afford it. I think in the long run, I'd rather have no money and a brand new super reliable under warranty car than be broke and have an unreliable 21 year old car.

It is what it is. Sadly, the car will sit until it is towed away
Old 02-02-17, 10:06 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMeeseeks
We are 90% sure it is an injector. I replaced the little hose and checked for leaks. There was (thankfully) no leaking like I was thinking there was. We were unplugging sparkplug wires from the distributor while it was running and all of them made the car run worse EXCEPT when we unplugged one of them. So we were thinking it could be anything from spark plug to dead cylinder.
Checked for codes and got code 25 which states bad air/fuel and would normally mean a sensor, but those are all perfect.
Buddy of mine had a couple of these and he said it is a common thing for the injectors to just randomly act up. This would also explain the bad air/fuel mix.

I just put up a CL ad, selling the car as it sits for $1000 OBO. I am done with it and getting a brand new car (leasing through my dealership) and just dealing with extreme budgeting to be able to afford it. I think in the long run, I'd rather have no money and a brand new super reliable under warranty car than be broke and have an unreliable 21 year old car.

It is what it is. Sadly, the car will sit until it is towed away

Darn Im sorry to hear man.