My GS 300 won't start.....?!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-09, 12:41 PM
blkphoxx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My GS 300 won't start.....?!!

Greetings to all,
It's my first post...so please be easy on me..lol. I purchased a 1993 GS300 in May 09. I have purchased several used cars (imports) before but never a Lexus. Needless to say, I was searching for a Camry but I got a good deal and the car seemed "solid." I have been driving it w/o any issues until last week. It says on the dash "premium unlead only" and I have been faithfully committed to doing so. I have had issues with difficult starts if the tank reads @ 1/4 but my local Shell station was across the street. I would get a gallon of Prem., add it and she would purr. That has only happened twice and since, I was ensuring that I kept my tank @ 1/2. Well during the past week I drove my baby back and forth 3 hours each way on a trip and returned home with no issues. I ran errands for the day returned home, my tank read 1/4. I leave the next morn, it starts but is reading less than 1/4 I immediately go to the nearest filling stat....THEY ARE OUT OF PREM AND MIDGRADE!! I put a gallon of REG in to get to the next stat. and then add 2 more gallons of PREM. For the last 4 days it had been constantly raining, I go out the next morning to start it and she would not turn over despite my repeated attempts. It would almost fire..but to no avail it cancels out...sounding wet..if that makes sense(reminding me of an old Chevy I owned retaining moisture in the distributor cap). Knowing I had a small water leak in the passenger rear quarter panel into the trunk (where the disc changer is located) I figured due to the gas being low and maybe water had got into the tank..it was being stubborn. I race to the nearest gas stat. and got a gallon premium, added it, with same results; no start. I go to the auto store get fuel injector cleaner, and water remover and add both along with two more gallons of premium and receive the same results; no start. It has been 4 days and each day I attempt to start it and no luck. WT h@ll have I done to my baby!!?? I have been stranded for close to a week and now my battery is seemingly getting weaker and I'm afraid I will put wear on the starter if I continue. I am now here...hoping anyone with this model can offer hope, support, or advice with my debacle. Can anyone please help?..We have a family mechanic who inspected the vehicle upon purchase and agreed with me that it was a "solid" car despite me wanting a Camry..so I bought it. I am now left with towing my vehicle to him and waiting for....the damage/cost of repair?!...hoping that I have not damaged my fuel pump, hoping no one has put a foreign substance into my gas tank, and further praying that there is a simple solution to getting my babe to start once again without dropping the fuel tank, draining it, and reinstalling it. I apologize for being verbose..but I wanted to be as "descriptive as possible and honest" b/c I LOVE MY CAR!
Thanks again for taking the time to read all that and any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-27-09, 12:55 PM
GS300 I6
Pole Position

imo, it could be anything. it could be spark plugs/ignition wire/distributor? it could be the alternator or and battery? main relay? starter?

when you attempt to start the car? what happens? does the battery light show up? does it crank? does it not? any sounds?
Old 10-27-09, 01:05 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I am not aware of starting issues or rough idle due to the fuel level being below 1/4 tank. While it is impossible to diagnose your car online, it seems likely that you have a fuel supply problem. Either the filter may be clogged or the pump may have failed. That said, you need fuel, oxgen, and spark to start the engine and you may have issues with any or all of the above.
Old 10-27-09, 02:11 PM
blkphoxx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS300 I6
imo, it could be anything. it could be spark plugs/ignition wire/distributor? it could be the alternator or and battery? main relay? starter?

when you attempt to start the car? what happens? does the battery light show up? does it crank? does it not? any sounds?
Agreed, "it could be anything", however I have not had one issue with starting until I relocated to this area..I'm longshotting "bad/watery gas?"..my battery and alt have been strong..all bells and whistles in good working order.
On start attempts, no, the batt light does not show as if low if thats what you mean, it cranks "strong" as usual...NO STRANGE NOISES. All prior starts I have had success with barely turning the ignition. I fell in love with the car upon first sight and sound. It attempts to turn over..but then cancels.
Old 10-27-09, 02:18 PM
blkphoxx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by link13
I am not aware of starting issues or rough idle due to the fuel level being below 1/4 tank. While it is impossible to diagnose your car online, it seems likely that you have a fuel supply problem. Either the filter may be clogged or the pump may have failed. That said, you need fuel, oxgen, and spark to start the engine and you may have issues with any or all of the above.
Online diagnoses being difficult is understandable; fuel supply issue sounds reasonable, I was also thinking a fuel filter and/or pump being faulty could be the mid priced repair. Accordingly, lack of spark is definitely an issue..its been raining here profusely for the past week and my babe is sitting under a tree. I thought about pushing it to another spot; unfortunately I don't have a garage to dry the system out. Thank you, your thoughts were helpful.
Old 10-29-09, 09:14 PM
blkphoxx
Driver School Candidate

Problem solved as of 10/27. Took my babe to the family mechanic. To make a long story short..it was FLOODED! I failed to mention I did pump the gas a couple times during the many times of my attempts to start her; yet I also thought even if I had flooded it..by leaving it alone a day or two..it would eventually start..it did not. Once started..she's been purrin' like always and starting on the first turn. God is GOOD!! My mechanic did notice a few other general maintenance issues that would need attention soon but those issues would require me to create another thread. Thanks again for all who helped.