GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

how to wire fogs lamps to parking lamps

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-09, 04:12 PM
boxcarfan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how to wire fogs lamps to parking lamps

ok this "how to" is for wiring up the fogs lights to come on with the parking lights. Ex: turn your parking lights on. and you will be able to turn your fog lights on with the factory switch. only weird thing bout it is that when you flick your high beams on, your fog lights will remain on. (to me thats a plus) ok so here it goes!

NOTE!! i am going to add some PDF files so this will clear up some things.

on the PDF for the fog light diagram, see the red and yellow wire at the comb. switch, that is connector C13. CUT THE RED AND YELLOW WIRE COMING OUT OF PIN 14 AND GIVE THE WIRE COMING OUT OF PIN 14 AND GIVE IT A PERMANENT GROUND.

on the PDF for the fog lights later you will have to do this. see the fog light relay, the red soild red wire, cut it and take the wire coming out of the relay block and run it to the soild green wire for the tail lights.

On the PDF file for tail lights, see where the 10A fuse is and if you follow that out you see the soild green wire in connector 1J and pin 14, run the wire from the fog lights and tap into this wire.

First in order to know how to take the knee panel down on the drivers side see this:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...like-this.html

ok first remove the foot guard

then go ahead and take off the knee panel.

look up under the steering column on the right side and pull the plastic case down

on the back of the case unplug the one in the picture like this

find the red and yellow wire and cut it and give it a permanent ground to the body some where

here is where i gounded it

ok now you can plug up the connector and put the plastic case back and now for the PITA part lol

pull the carpet back, it will just pop off and make sure you pop off some of the tabs on the door seal that hold the carpet too

now snake it back from the corner as possible, your going to need to get in the left front corner. so fold the carpet back and try and get it under the brake pedal and let the pedal hold the carpet back

here is the fog light relay(the pic is sideways) the fog light relay (in the pic) is the bottom one

take the 2 bolts out that hold the relays in there and pop off the black clip thats in the back
Old 01-10-09, 04:12 PM
boxcarfan
Lead Lap

now the hard part!! take off the things you need to in order to flip out the relays so you can see the back side of it. now see the soild red wire running to the fog light relay and cut the wire and take the wire and this is the one your gonna run to the parking lamp circuit. make sure you take the other end and tape it up good cause its a hot wire. and you dont wanna blow fuses.

so put back the fog lamp relay and bolt it back in.

now see where all the fuses are under the dash. take out the 2 bolts taht hold it in on the front and it just clips in on the back of it. take it out and flip it over and pop off the white cover case. yea its a lot of wire i know. but find the green wire and take the wire from the fog light relay and tap it into this wire

put everything back together cause you are done!!!!!!! now enjoy!

Last edited by boxcarfan; 01-10-09 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-10-09, 04:15 PM
boxcarfan
Lead Lap

is the the PDF file for relay locations, if you scroll down you will find the things you need. go to page 3 and you will see the fuse box under the dash, there are 2 pictures on this page. one of both sides of the relay block. we will be looking at the bottom pic. on page 3. see connector 1J and pin 14. this is the soild green wire you will see on the wiring diagram for the tail lights. Pin 14 is the solid green wire you will tap into from the fog light relay.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
relaylocations.pdf (218.4 KB, 799 views)

Last edited by boxcarfan; 01-10-09 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-10-09, 04:16 PM
boxcarfan
Lead Lap

this is the tail light diagram
Attached Files
95GSTAIL.pdf (50.9 KB, 229 views)
Old 01-10-09, 04:16 PM
boxcarfan
Lead Lap

this is the fog light diagram. at the comb switch. you will see a short red and yellow wire run out and then back in to the switch. when you go and find this wire for real. it wont be short lol the comb switch connector is knows as C13. if you scroll down this daigarm you will see the connector MAKE SURE that the wire coming OUT of the C13, PIN 14 is the one you cut and give the ground to.
Attached Files
95GSFOG.pdf (28.1 KB, 225 views)

Last edited by boxcarfan; 01-10-09 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-10-09, 04:17 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

nice job & write up
Old 01-10-09, 04:29 PM
boxcarfan
Lead Lap

thanks...the write up took me longer than to do the acutal job lol.
Old 01-10-09, 07:45 PM
vtec-this
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you can still shut the fog lights off independently from the parking lights correct?
Old 01-10-09, 08:04 PM
boxcarfan
Lead Lap

yes. if the switch is off then you cant turn the fogs on, if the switch is anywhere else other than off you can turn the fogs on and off with the factory switch.

and when you set it on auto. you can turn the fogs on until it gets dark and the lights turn on due to it being dark then you can turn fogs on and off.

and just say you leave the parking lights on and the fogs on and you have your car running and you turn it off and open the driver door, the lights will still turn off with the door opening the first time. so you dont have to worry about killing your battery.

its nice man. very nice. cant wait to get 3000k fogs
Old 01-11-09, 07:20 AM
wayne
Lexus Test Driver

I vote we sticky this thread.
Old 01-11-09, 07:32 AM
vtec-this
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by boxcarfan
yes. if the switch is off then you cant turn the fogs on, if the switch is anywhere else other than off you can turn the fogs on and off with the factory switch.

and when you set it on auto. you can turn the fogs on until it gets dark and the lights turn on due to it being dark then you can turn fogs on and off.

and just say you leave the parking lights on and the fogs on and you have your car running and you turn it off and open the driver door, the lights will still turn off with the door opening the first time. so you dont have to worry about killing your battery.

its nice man. very nice. cant wait to get 3000k fogs

nice i just got my 3000k fogs not to long ago but now i have to redo my wiring like this.its much better then the way i have it now. i just taped into the corner light to the fogs under the hood. it took literally 2 min but i lost the function of the switch that way.
Old 01-11-09, 07:34 AM
boxcarfan
Lead Lap

yea this is a probly gonna be a PITA for most of you, but i looked at it every way, and this was the safest way to still have the factory switch and still keep the auto shut off when you open the drivers door.
Old 01-13-09, 02:50 PM
celm
Pole Position

is there a way to wire it that u can turn the fog lights all by them selfs?
Old 01-13-09, 03:15 PM
boxcarfan
Lead Lap

like with no parking lights having to be on? yea of course. just do everything the same but instead of running the wire from the fog light relay to the taillight wire, run the wire from the relay to an ACC. wire (a wire that has power when the car is on) only down side to that is the lights wont come on unless the car is on.

another way if your not happy with the way explained above would be to do it like this. run the wire from the fog light relay to a wire that has power all the time (even with the car shut off) only down side to this is that you will have to remember to turn the fog lights off every time or you will kill your battery.
Old 09-20-10, 11:23 PM
Cuban GS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sticky!!!!!

Quick Reply: how to wire fogs lamps to parking lamps