GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Car Won't start - Can hear starter "spinning?"- Heard breaking/thumping sound earlier

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-08, 08:08 AM
Akshaan
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car Won't start - Can hear starter "spinning?"- Heard breaking/thumping sound earlier

Background;

1994 GS300 - 154K
Check engine and trac lights on since purchased (6 months ago) but no running issues at all.

Idled high around 1-1.5rpm since I got it.

But great running car up untill this point.

Had driven car from out of town about 200 miles I made a stop when I arrived home and was there for about an hour. Came back out and started car and heard what I can only descibe as a "thumping/braking" sound not really metal on metal but more metal on wood on concrete if that makes any sense.

I was parked slightly with the grill over the curb so I though that I might have just been parked a little close on the curb and scrapped it as I backed up. But thinking back that was not possible becuase it happened immediately and I hadn't put it in drive yet.

Not thinking much of it I proceeded to drive about 10 miles with no issues whatsoever. The car ran as usual. No funny sounds or lights or anything. I made another stop and was there about an hour , I come back out and tried to start the car and it makes this "whistling?" Sound. Other than not starting the car is fine, battery and all lights come on etc. But when u try to start it, you can hear what I can only describe as a "whistling" sound. this is a sound that I have never heard before. It sounds like how the starter normal "spins?" and catches quickly when u first start it up, well it sound like its never "catching" like its just "spinning" over and over. I am not too familiar with engines so I don't know if starters spin or not but that's what it sounds like to me.

It also has a slightly. "Cupped" sound to it. As if whatever is spinning is in an enclosure. Imagine the sound of a small fan at the bottom of a cup and the sound that it would make.

I popped the hood and checked for anything obviously broke (belts, etc), nothing. The whistling/spinning sound seems to be coming from up near the cabin, like around the vents up under the windshield (the back of the engine area).

If I had to guess I'd say that somthing broke or fell off (came unscrewed?) starter related and its sitting in the engine upside down spinning and I can hear it. I'm probly wrong though as. I know nothing about cars.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Akshaan; 01-05-08 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-05-08, 10:24 AM
monkiwrnch
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like your starter is bad. that's the same sound you hear, when you try to start your car and it just whislte. it means the starter spins. but not turning the flywheel, causing the motor (crank) not to spin.
Old 01-05-08, 10:33 AM
Akshaan
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was right!

Shop just called , starter somehow had worked it self loose- so it was just sitting there spinning.

They just put it back on tightened it up!

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-05-08, 10:43 AM
monkiwrnch
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no problem :-)