ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Cracked Windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-15, 01:05 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Cracked Windshield?

So I just went to pick up my ES at the dealer today, after they finished up the 30k service, and discovered as I was pulling out of the lot that there was a large (12"+) crack running right through the center of my windshield, which wasn't there when I dropped my car off. Crack starts down under windshield wipers, and extends up to about the center of the windshield. There are no obvious signs of a rock impact, and i've never noticed any cracking in that spot when cleaning the car previously. Needless to say, I left my car at the dealer, and no one can do anything about it until Monday, since I guess the service manager has to be involved in all glass- related problems. Anyone else ever experience their windshield cracking for no obvious reason? This is original factory glass.

On another note, the 2015 IS AWD(loaner) is a damn fun car to drive!
Old 05-09-15, 02:44 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

My memory isn't real good about this one, but I seem to recall having read a thread on this board in which someone talked about how there was a small chip in his/her windshield and the combination of high pressure and temperature of a car wash caused that small chip to spread into a large crack.
Old 05-09-15, 03:31 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,238 Likes on 870 Posts

Be interesting to see what the dealer has to say. Obviously someone at the dealer knows something.
I had my car serviced and washed right after I got it and someone ripped the leather seat. I complained and they replaced it.
Old 05-09-15, 08:03 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Dealer scratched/curbed my rim when I went to pick it up from a service. I took it back for them to fix, free of charge. After I left, I noticed how rough/unpainted it felt, so I called my advisor and he said they'll take care of it next time I was at the dealer. To my surprise, they swapped the rim for a new one. Lexus service departments are the best! I'm sure they'll take care of you.

Last edited by dchar; 05-09-15 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-09-15, 09:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Dealers do all kinds of stuff to cars, but this is very odd. My guess is its a coincidence, but I'll be interested to see what the dealer does...
Old 05-12-15, 06:49 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Thanks for the replies, guys! Talked to the dealer yesterday afternoon, and, since there is no obvious signs of impact or other previous damage, they are replacing the windshield free of charge. They had to order a new windshield, but will have the repair all wrapped up in a couple of days.
Old 05-12-15, 07:23 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mspearl95
Thanks for the replies, guys! Talked to the dealer yesterday afternoon, and, since there is no obvious signs of impact or other previous damage, they are replacing the windshield free of charge. They had to order a new windshield, but will have the repair all wrapped up in a couple of days.
I'm assuming that the dealer is going to be using a genuine Lexus windshield, but it might be a good idea to confirm that that is the case. There have been posts on this board in which people have complained about issues with things like the rain sensing wipers after their windshields were replaced with third party windshields.
Old 05-12-15, 08:47 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Originally Posted by lesz
I'm assuming that the dealer is going to be using a genuine Lexus windshield, but it might be a good idea to confirm that that is the case. There have been posts on this board in which people have complained about issues with things like the rain sensing wipers after their windshields were replaced with third party windshields.
Thanks lesz. I'm assuming that they are since they said they had to order it, and made it sound like they will be doing the replacement in house instead of farming it out, but I will call today and make sure. Do you know if there is a difference in the windshield with the UL?
Old 05-12-15, 09:30 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Thanks lesz. I'm assuming that they are since they said they had to order it, and made it sound like they will be doing the replacement in house instead of farming it out, but I will call today and make sure. Do you know if there is a difference in the windshield with the UL?
I believe that all of the ES vehicles, regardless of package, have come with the same Lamisafe windshield, but others will have to say whether or not that is true.
Old 05-12-15, 09:57 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I just went to pick up my ES at the dealer today, after they finished up the 30k service, and discovered as I was pulling out of the lot that there was a large (12"+) crack running right through the center of my windshield, which wasn't there when I dropped my car off. Crack starts down under windshield wipers, and extends up to about the center of the windshield. There are no obvious signs of a rock impact, and i've never noticed any cracking in that spot when cleaning the car previously. Needless to say, I left my car at the dealer, and no one can do anything about it until Monday, since I guess the service manager has to be involved in all glass- related problems. Anyone else ever experience their windshield cracking for no obvious reason? This is original factory glass.

On another note, the 2015 IS AWD(loaner) is a damn fun car to drive!
Had the surprise crack on my RX350. No watertight explanation for it, I have a theory or two on it, but like any theory it has to be proved. My nightmare however, started with the replacement. Guy who worked on it caused a small dent on the roof and I didn't want them to repair it. Who can replace Lexus factory paint? Nobody in my book - I decided to rather live with the dent.
Lexus uses such a good adhesive that they had to 'saw' the cracked windshield off with something resembling piano wire. Don't know if it will be the case on the ES, but rather check afterwards if the job was done well.

Last edited by nipponbird; 05-12-15 at 10:03 AM.