ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Price Negotiation Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-15, 02:44 PM
Teletubbie
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Price Negotiation Help

I am looking for a new 2015 car and the dealer offered 4% off MSRP based on the TrueCar site. I checked the pricing thread here and found buyers getting from 10 to 15% off. So I countered with 12% off. He wants me to point him the proof that other buyers are getting these percentage off deals. Should I point the dealer to the pricing thread or is it against forum policy? I understand that thread is for buyers spread over different states but I had to start somewhere.
Old 03-13-15, 03:40 PM
sharmila19
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can ask for 12%. However I think that people who are getting deals like this live in California. In the Midwest or East Coast is very in usual to get 12%. Again please somebody correct me if I'm wrong as I have a little experience with this.

Also think about going throughCostco I've been told they have good prices but I've never used them in the past.

One thing I heard and read about was that some people were taking a print out from new car price.com which usually lists the invoice the factory invoice and the dealer invoice.
Old 03-13-15, 04:30 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I can't imagine that pointing the sales person to the pricing thread here would do you much good.

First, there is no way to "prove" that people actually got the prices that they claim to have gotten. Second, there are wide variations in pricing depending on region. And, perhaps most important, there are so many factors that go into determining the true price paid for a vehicle, including trade-in valuations, leasing terms, finance terms, dealer add-ons, etc. When all of those factors are not taken into account, it would be easy to make a 5% off deal look like a 10% off deal or to make a 10% off deal look like a 5% off deal.

About the best you can do is to use sources like Edmunds to get a feel for what people in your region are paying. Then, use that information to help you negotiate, while, at the same time, making sure that what appears to be a good deal is not being diminished by undervaluing your trade in, giving you unfavorable finance terms, giving you unfavorable lease terms, adding on high mark-up extended warranties, paint protection plans, or other dealer-added options.
Old 03-13-15, 06:40 PM
dxerg3770
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its mostly Texas and California folks that's getting those 10%+ deals. northeast are around 7-8% at most from what I've read. I live in NYC and best deal I could get was 41k out of 44.5k MSRP price.
Old 03-14-15, 02:14 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

As someone else posted, I don't think pointing the dealership to this site will help... again, how can you verify the deals that people said they made... I mean, I think everyone here is being honest about their deals, but no way to prove it.... also I think the amount of a discount you get depends on several variables... the dealers inventory, how car sales are going overall, the time of year..... In my own case, I was just lucky... I got a little over 13% off the sticker... BUT... I was shopping in January of 2014.. so the 2014 models were on the lot, and they only had 1 new 2013 model left... and it just happened to be the color I was looking for and had all the bells and whistles I was looking for.... I didn't get the 13% right off the bat... there was about a weeks worth of back and forth emails and phone calls before we finally agreed on the price. Like I said, I think in my case a lot of the reason for my discount was being in the right place at the right time, and the dealership wanted to get that 13 off the showroom..... Good luck with your negotiations.

Poppa
Old 03-14-15, 06:32 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I can't imagine that pointing the sales person to the pricing thread here would do you much good.
^^Agree

Going into a negotiation and basically saying - "Others I've seen on an internet forum are getting 15% off, so that's what I want", will probably do you more harm than good. The forum is a good place for YOU to learn and make informed decisions. As others have mentioned, specific vehicles on the dealer's lot may have more incentive than others. As an example, the longer a car sits on a lot, the more motivation the dealer has to rid itself of it.

Good luck!
Old 03-14-15, 06:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
^^Agree

Going into a negotiation and basically saying - "Others I've seen on an internet forum are getting 15% off, so that's what I want", will probably do you more harm than good. The forum is a good place for YOU to learn and make informed decisions. As others have mentioned, specific vehicles on the dealer's lot may have more incentive than others. As an example, the longer a car sits on a lot, the more motivation the dealer has to rid itself of it.

Good luck!
I agree. Bad idea. Nothing to b ganed
Old 03-14-15, 07:13 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz

First, there is no way to "prove" that people actually got the prices that they claim to have gotten. Second, there are wide variations in pricing depending on region. And, perhaps most important, there are so many factors that go into determining the true price paid for a vehicle, including trade-in valuations, leasing terms, finance terms, dealer add-ons, etc. When all of those factors are not taken into account, it would be easy to make a 5% off deal look like a 10% off deal or to make a 10% off deal look like a 5% off deal.

About the best you can do is to use sources like Edmunds to get a feel for what people in your region are paying. Then, use that information to help you negotiate, while, at the same time, making sure that what appears to be a good deal is not being diminished by undervaluing your trade in, giving you unfavorable finance terms, giving you unfavorable lease terms, adding on high mark-up extended warranties, paint protection plans, or other dealer-added options.
Spot on. No need to prove anything, just email a few dealeships, most likely you will be directed to internet manager, who is far more likely to give you a better deal than a regular sales manager. If your goal to be at 12%, go for it, negotiate away over email and see what they have to offer. I not too long agow bought two hondas, civic last minute Monday and Accord 6m ago, accord i got over 14% off and civic 11% off msrp. Good luck

Accord MsRp $27, got it for $21.5 and civic Msrp $22, got it for $19.8
Old 03-14-15, 07:26 PM
wowzer
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are in Glen Cove, NY, I can give you my sales rep's name. He was able to get me 10% off MSRP, after I had informed him about some pricing offers I got via the internet....
Old 01-23-22, 09:15 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

Paying over MSRP is just 'not going to happen' for me. The LX used to be discounted 12k (December to Remember)!! Now the OP said the existing 'left over' LX going for 5k Over? That's not right! Range Rover and MB G Wagen also going 'market adjusted pricing' - Mark UP!! Even the little Telluride / GV80 going over MSRP. But there r ppl who's willing to pay over (alot over that is), just not me at this time.
Old 01-24-22, 09:55 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Uhhh, this thread is 7 years old... I think the OP probably got a deal by now...
Old 02-12-22, 11:50 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 201 Likes on 133 Posts

[QUOTE=bc6152;11212242]Uhhh, this thread is 7 years old... I think the OP probably got a deal by now... [/QUOTE

Lol that deal was probably two or three cars ago by now for him.