ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Bike rack, roof racks and trailer hitches?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-13, 09:34 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

You guys with roof racks probably know this already, but Consumer Reports just did a test with a 2013 Accord and a roof mounted bike rack and here are the results:

42 mpg w/no rack
37 mpg w/empty rack
35 mpg w/empty rack and wind deflector
27 mpg w/two bikes and wind deflector

I knew there would be an mpg hit, just didn't know what the numbers would be.
Old 07-06-13, 10:12 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I didn't know the Honda Accord could get 42 mpg? Is that a hybrid? I'm not so sure about CR's numbers and claims.
The following users liked this post:
Dpeters86 (06-20-21)
Old 07-08-13, 07:53 AM
K7baixo
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On my trip to Texas with one bike on a hitch rack, I got 25 mpg driving anywhere from 75-85 mph. That's over about 2,500 miles of driving a non-hybrid ES350.

Normally, I'd probably get 27-28 mph under the same conditions.

I like roof racks but for my needs, a hitch rack is hard to beat. It doesn't fit the image that Lexus wishes to project but the car is fully capable of pulling my light/light kayak trailer and my bicycle.
Dpeters86 (06-20-21)
Old 07-08-13, 01:03 PM
jackashe
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrBillFL
which brand did you end up with?

-Can you pls post a pic of the rack with the door open?

where does the hook rest? inside the door frame?

and has it rained? notice any drips?

thanks!

----
yakima? q towers?

http://fitlookup.yakima.com/fitlookup.aspx

fairing for wind:
http://techmanual.yakima.com/default...ct_num=8007048

http://fitlookup.yakima.com/GetPhoto.aspx?id=10527

http://fitlookup.yakima.com/GetPhoto.aspx?id=10528

^ same question on the rain.... any drips?
Yes I got the Yakima Q-towers.

Those photos you linked are accurate on how it attaches to the door frame. I will try to take and post some pics of my Lexus with the door open.

The installation is certainly not permanent, but I had REI do the install, and the guy was very meticulously measuring and walking back and forth on each side many many times. Yakima has specs as to how far from the front to put the rack, and how far apart they go etc. Otherwise your accessories don't attach correctly. He also spent time making sure each bar was solidly attached. There is a clip that needs to be very tight (but not too tight I guess). So not permanent but I plan to treat it that way for now. I am actually leasing my ES 300h, so if I don't buy I'll remove the rack.

The wind faring costs $ and might reduce MPG even more, so instead I bought the bungees for a total of $10 and the noise is dramatically reduced.

No it has not yet rained so I can't comment on leaks. The rubber door seal does have to go "around" the metal clip but there is no reason to think it makes the seal not water tight.
Dpeters86 (06-20-21)
Old 07-09-13, 07:26 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks JackAshe !

this actually looks easy to take on and off, once its measured and setup. looks like rubber pads cover all the metal just like my old tule rack.

if you wash the car or get rain, let me know ok? I see a lot of rain in soFla... leaks would be deal breaker.

I'm surprised to see the wind deflector hurts mpg....

if I have something up top, probably not going over 65 anyway... so bet its not too big a mpg hit.

a hitch would be better, but nobody's making one I know of...
Dpeters86 (06-20-21)
Old 07-15-13, 06:14 AM
KRuss3ll
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thule's newest Aeroblade system is an easy install, and it is NOT permanent. No rack system out there is permanent, at least not the major brands. It can be taken off in just a few minutes. The door seals will show some marks after you take it off, but they go away, plus who is looking at the rubber seal anyways?? As for mileage, I have found the following with my IS250 RWD:

No rack, empty roof: 29MPG
Aeroblades but no attachments: 29MPG
Aeroblades with empty bike holder: 27MPG
Aeroblades with bike on bike holder: 26MPG

Basically, if you take the bike holder attachment off when you aren't using it, you won't loose much in gas mileage. The Aeroblade system is built for minimum drag, and has very little road noise. It does not block the sunroof from opening, but when you are moving and have the bike up top, I wouldn't recommended using the sunroof because it will be louder than normal. I have never had any leaks through the door seals. The rubber ends protect the cars paint job, as long as you wipe/wash it down before install. The cheaper square bar roof racks are much louder than the aeroblade, so when it comes down to a roof rack, I went with the proven tech so I could get the quietest ride.
Dpeters86 (06-20-21)
Old 07-15-13, 11:10 AM
jackashe
Driver School Candidate

Default More Pics

As requested, some more pictures of how the rack attaches and how my bungees attach.

Full Size Image Links:
http://imgur.com/uDQbjKa
http://imgur.com/duiONI1
http://imgur.com/JGlzciE
http://imgur.com/7Br26kB

Bike rack, roof racks and trailer hitches?-udqbjkal.jpg Bike rack, roof racks and trailer hitches?-duioni1l.jpg
Bike rack, roof racks and trailer hitches?-jglzciel.jpg Bike rack, roof racks and trailer hitches?-7br26kbl.jpg
Old 07-16-13, 07:36 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K7baixo
On my trip to Texas with one bike on a hitch rack, I got 25 mpg driving anywhere from 75-85 mph. That's over about 2,500 miles of driving a non-hybrid ES350.

Normally, I'd probably get 27-28 mph under the same conditions.

I like roof racks but for my needs, a hitch rack is hard to beat. It doesn't fit the image that Lexus wishes to project but the car is fully capable of pulling my light/light kayak trailer and my bicycle.
What hitch did you end up getting ? I have an es300h and I want to get a bike rack. But with the bottom lip on the rear bumper that hides the exhaust , I don't know if it's possible
Old 07-17-13, 09:01 PM
K7baixo
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by uicandrew
What hitch did you end up getting ? I have an es300h and I want to get a bike rack. But with the bottom lip on the rear bumper that hides the exhaust , I don't know if it's possible
CURT Trailer Hitch #11362
Receiver Tube Size: 1 1/4 IN Class: Class 1 Hitch UPC: 612314113620

http://www.curtmfg.com/part/11362
Old 11-07-14, 12:29 AM
jackashe
Driver School Candidate

Default Yakima totally failed me

I don't know if anyone is still looking at this thread or if it shows up in google search results, but I am back after 1.5 years to report that the Yakima product completely failed me. With 2 bikes attached, it separated the front bar from my car on 2 separate occasions. Then I got part of it replaced, and it showed signs of slipping off a 3rd time. So thankfully REI has a good return policy and I returned everything... Now all I have to show is experience and some scratches and dents on my car where the rack slipped off and where the bikes hit the car. Worked great for skis but NOT 2 bikes

Dpeters86 (06-20-21)
Old 11-07-14, 06:46 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the update jackashe. Sorry that you had the damage, but appreciate knowing from your experience.
Old 03-09-16, 05:52 PM
dmusik
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone have correct measurements for the Thule Aeroblade with Traverse 480r for a 2013 or newer ES? I adjusted the feet according to instructions, setting the slide measure to 38 in front and 38.5 in back, but that is way too narrow. I guess I could use trial and error but I don't want to scratch my car...