ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-12, 06:44 PM
jcarlo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remote Starter

Hello I just "reserved" a new 2013 ES300h, pending clearance of financing. This is my first car so I'd like to know your opinions about remote starters. I am quoted around 780-800USD for having it installed from the dealership, plus an extra $75USD to extend the range to 1000ft. Do you guys think this is worth it? Is it better getting it installed from somewhere else instead? If I do go in the after-market route, would it void my warranty if I customize it somewhere else? Are there any online sites where I can get a quote on an aftermarket price on installing a remote starter? Thanks for all the info.
Old 11-30-12, 09:18 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

this will get you started on remote starter. take a look at this thread first

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...their-car.html
Old 12-01-12, 03:37 AM
rogzballz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find out if its going to use the same lexus key fob or if its going to be a piggyback unit. I hear they're making it really easy for dealers to install r/s now with single plug and play units so any mechanic can do it.
Old 12-01-12, 04:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

My new GS I picked up last night has a remote starter, and so does our Jeep. Does your Lexus sit outside?

Its pretty cool, but IMHO its more a novelty than anything else. Most of the time we forget to even use it to warm the car up.

The remote starters came on both of these cars originally, I'd never pay to put one on IMHO.
Old 12-01-12, 06:01 AM
UTAS
Driver

I have the remote start feature on an RX450h (2010), as it "came with" the car, when the dealer found our choice with the remote start included.

IF I were still working and IF I lived in my home state WI (well, even IL, where we are now), I believe it would come in handy just before leaving the office. It gets quite cold in this part of the States and the remote would come in handy.

Advice: It is best to have it "Lexus - installed" because the key fob doubles as the start button (no piggy-back fob needed); there is a safety feature that allows the car to run for five minutes or so - if there is not activity at the doors, the engine shuts down. This avoids unnecessary fuel usage as well as possible asphyxiation, if started in a closed garage (not a good idea).

I would like it, if I really needed it. It's a neat feature to have in certain instances. FWIW
Old 12-01-12, 06:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Our problem is we forget to use it. The Jeep sits outside and we get in it all the time in the winter and say "Damn...we should have used the remote start!"
Old 12-01-12, 06:41 AM
MY100thcar
Driver

Originally Posted by jcarlo
Hello I just "reserved" a new 2013 ES300h, pending clearance of financing. This is my first car so I'd like to know your opinions about remote starters. I am quoted around 780-800USD for having it installed from the dealership, plus an extra $75USD to extend the range to 1000ft. Do you guys think this is worth it? Is it better getting it installed from somewhere else instead? If I do go in the after-market route, would it void my warranty if I customize it somewhere else? Are there any online sites where I can get a quote on an aftermarket price on installing a remote starter? Thanks for all the info.
Not to me.
I have one car now with the remote starter & two in the past with it and NEVER used any of them !
Old 12-01-12, 08:01 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

The range of the oem one is 25-35ft and it can't go through walls. Others have a range of much further that can go thru walls but require a separate key fob and may not have safety features like mentioned above.
Old 12-01-12, 08:47 AM
jcarlo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW10ES
My new GS I picked up last night has a remote starter, and so does our Jeep. Does your Lexus sit outside?

Its pretty cool, but IMHO its more a novelty than anything else. Most of the time we forget to even use it to warm the car up.

The remote starters came on both of these cars originally, I'd never pay to put one on IMHO.
Yeah, my Lexus will be parked outside.
Old 12-01-12, 08:49 AM
jcarlo
Driver School Candidate

So one day later after my verbal agreement with the financing officer, I was going to try to back out of the remote starter which I didn't really approve verbally or in writing. As we were discussing it yesterday, I was going to call them today to confirm it. And when I called they said they have already installed it with no way to back out of it. Am I being played around here? I have our original signed agreement with no mention of the accessory being added. I can't justify paying $800 for this Any advice?
Old 12-01-12, 10:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It wouldn't surprise me if they already installed it.

Maybe see if they'll split it with you? Even if its not in writing, I do business in such a way that if I told them we had a deal verbally I would stick to that.
Old 12-01-12, 10:51 AM
UTAS
Driver

@jcarlo - You have nothing paid down, right? You can walk away from it and say you have decided on something else. No big deal. Then find another dealership with a better finance person.

Chances are, when you say this, the deal will suddenly include the remote start at cost (which should be much less than the higher range quoted), or even for free. Deal.
Old 12-04-12, 04:02 PM
gnm313
Driver

Pay for the distance. It is worth it. I think mine is 2500ft. I start mine from inside my office and the car is a 1/4 mile away in a concrete garage. I live in a cold climate, so having the car warm when I get in is worth it. If it didn't start from so far away, it would never get used. You have to be able to start it from wherever you are and not just when the car is in plain site. I rarely use it in summer, but my car doesn't sit outside, so it doesn't come in handy in Summer. If I had a black interior and was in a hot climate, it would be used every day. Best feature I have ever added to my car. I have had it on my last 3 cars and would not live without it.