ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

TPMS Confusion . . . Ughhhhh

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-15, 03:43 AM
Kobi1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Confusion . . . Ughhhhh

OK . . . bought four new tires from Discount Tire . . . also purchased 5 new sensors. Tire dealer read codes and tried to input into the sytem. They said that I had to take it to the dealer to reprogram as they could not get the light to stop blinking. Asked local toyota dealer and he said you must purchase Lexus/Toyota sensors for the codes to be accepted. According to other posts in this forum, other ES350 owners bought one or two and the local tire place reprogrammed them and they worked? I have a feeling that my local Toyota dealer is wrong. If cost me $250 for 5 sensors at the Tire Dealer and over $500 from Toyota dealer. Can anyone please verify who is right? Has anyone experienced another issue besides a faulty sensor that may also keep the light on? It is SOOOOOO annoying! ! Thanks in advance.
Old 03-16-15, 08:40 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

TPMS is vodoo magic, I finally have a piece of black electrical tape over the blinking/solid light on my winter tires even though I have TPMS sensors in them and they have worked in the past. I cant be bothered to ask the dealer to reset them again at $. My summers work well.

Having said that make sure that you try both the tire set 1 and tire set 2 tire button ( under dash), Maybe the dealer programmed the new tires to set 2 or it is miss-set. Also found after some of my resets that the light blinks/goes solid and suddenly several minutes/hr after driving, the light goes off and my TPMS works from then on.

I hate the little buggers. I snapped a TPMS clean off when my alloy cap froze to the valve and I applied too much force to uncap.

Here is the Lexus TPMS magic chant book for giggles
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tpms tsb.pdf (128.0 KB, 204 views)
Old 03-16-15, 09:30 AM
GCL
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remove the tape!

I disabled the TPMS light per:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...o-disable.html

I added a switch so that I can turn the system back on for my summer tires.

Originally Posted by nevernu
TPMS is vodoo magic, I finally have a piece of black electrical tape over the blinking/solid light on my winter tires even though I have TPMS sensors in them and they have worked in the past. I cant be bothered to ask the dealer to reset them again at $. My summers work well.

Having said that make sure that you try both the tire set 1 and tire set 2 tire button ( under dash), Maybe the dealer programmed the new tires to set 2 or it is miss-set. Also found after some of my resets that the light blinks/goes solid and suddenly several minutes/hr after driving, the light goes off and my TPMS works from then on.

I hate the little buggers. I snapped a TPMS clean off when my alloy cap froze to the valve and I applied too much force to uncap.

Here is the Lexus TPMS magic chant book for giggles
Old 03-16-15, 07:50 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the first thing you need to realize here is WHY would you actually buy a whole new set of new sensors?

Hell, even the rebuild kit for them is overkill if you do them every time you change tires.

There has been lots of people who have put in aftermarket sensors. Whether or not they need to be a certain brand/# I have no clue.
I assume they're all the same and you just need the programmer.

During the 7/8 years I had my ES I never had TPMS problems. Nor would I go ahead and replace them all when 1 goes out.
Old 03-16-15, 09:08 PM
GCL
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I read that the Techstream cable & software can check and program the TPMS sensors, but I could never find the correct screen to do so.

Maybe someone else on this forum was successful using Techstream?
Old 03-17-15, 02:12 AM
Kobi1
Driver School Candidate

These sensors have a shelf life. Car is 6 yrs old so I decided to replace them all when I put new tires on. More of PM than anything (except for trying to get the light to turn off). So I took it to the tire dealer again last night and they put 5 new sensors on again. NO LUCK! Looks like it is a trip to the dealer . . . Darn it! ! The tire dealer did say they would refund 100% if I had to purchase different sensors (good CS).

Has anyone replaced anything other than the sensors to make the light turn off? The code that keeps coming up is that the computer will not accept the codes. Thanks all for your input.
Old 03-17-15, 07:06 AM
MyLparts
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobi1
OK . . . bought four new tires from Discount Tire . . . also purchased 5 new sensors. Tire dealer read codes and tried to input into the sytem. They said that I had to take it to the dealer to reprogram as they could not get the light to stop blinking. Asked local toyota dealer and he said you must purchase Lexus/Toyota sensors for the codes to be accepted. According to other posts in this forum, other ES350 owners bought one or two and the local tire place reprogrammed them and they worked? I have a feeling that my local Toyota dealer is wrong. If cost me $250 for 5 sensors at the Tire Dealer and over $500 from Toyota dealer. Can anyone please verify who is right? Has anyone experienced another issue besides a faulty sensor that may also keep the light on? It is SOOOOOO annoying! ! Thanks in advance.
Just an FYI here. We can sell you a set of 5 factory Lexus sensors for $261.00 with free shipping. We feel $11 is totally worth going with brand new factory sensors!! Hope to do business with you in the future!
Old 03-18-15, 05:46 AM
Kobi1
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the information. I just made my appt with the dealer for Sat am. I will report back what the voodoo gods say. I will be really disappointed if they tell me that I have to buy (5) new 'lexus' sensors expecially when there were numerous other site members who had their aftermarket sensors reprogrammed. Stay tuned . . .
Old 03-18-15, 08:52 AM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobi1
Thank you for the information. I just made my appt with the dealer for Sat am. I will report back what the voodoo gods say. I will be really disappointed if they tell me that I have to buy (5) new 'lexus' sensors expecially when there were numerous other site members who had their aftermarket sensors reprogrammed. Stay tuned . . .
The tire store you originally went to that sold you the new sensors (not Lexus branded but made for your Lexus) is the problem. 3 tire shops that I know, who sell sensors all have a program on their equipment to set THEIR brand of sensors for most makes and models of vehicles. Costco is one of them. There is no way that I'm aware of that a Lexus dealership can program a nonLexus branded sensor..
Old 03-21-15, 06:58 AM
Kobi1
Driver School Candidate

So I took my car to the local dealer in Grand Rapids, MI (Harvey Lexus) . . . new after market sensors installed . . . and crossed my fingers. To make a long story short, the service professionals reprogrammed all 5 aftermarket sensors with the Lexus laptop and the code is now gone! ! ! Woo Hoo! ! And . . . didnt charge me a dime? ? WOW! ! I am guessing that the computer programming hardware from the tire dealer was not compatible with my car. For those who claim that ONLY lexus approved sensors will work are only part right. Yes they work but certainly not the only one. My hats off to the local dealer . . . it was very appreciated! ! SO NICE TO SEE THE LIGHT OFF . . . my dash looks different now? ?