ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

What dealer charges for rear o2 sensor and transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-13, 11:38 AM
jbalian
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy What dealer charges for rear o2 sensor and transmission fluid change

I was driving to work today and all the error lights came on in my car, luckily for the dealer, I was right next to them when it happened so I figured I'll pass by and get it checked (instead of waiting and checking when i get home or taking it to my mechanic), problem turns out to be rear o2 sensor which is 1 hour labour + diagnostic + sensor price, total came down to around 350+tax, i also asked for a transmission fluid change and they charged 280+tax for that, he told me that my model doesn't have a dipstick so it's a bit expensive, if it did have the dipstick he said it would have been around 100...

Asked about price of changing discs and pads, front and rear and i was quoted for around 1k$, they also had a remote car starter on display and he said that's 800$

My car is being services right now, they gave me a loaner and a free carwash, i'll post the exact numbers when i get my bill later tonight, im expecting around 720$ all in

Car is a 2007 es350 ultrapremium with 110 000km, around 68 000 miles and the dealer is Lexus Gabriel in Montreal, Canada, tax is 15%

I think it'll be nice if people start posting how much it cost them to get something fixed and where the repair was done, it'll be a good reference for other members
Old 03-01-13, 08:21 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My dealer refused to change my transmission fluid so I had to do it myself for about $100 for the fluid. I've done everything else myself so I don't have dealer prices. Oh, except they charge $90 to change the oil and $700 to change the spark plugs. Way too expensive for my tastes.
Old 03-02-13, 12:39 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rear O2, depending on which sensor precisely, may be pretty easily doable yourself. Get a sensor socket, unplug and remove the old, put the new one in and plug it in, long as you have the ramps and a ratchet to get it off, we will be able to help you find it. Get the code read at an autozone or find out from the dealer which sensor it is.

There's no way I'd take it to the dealer for either. If you're seriously uncomfortable working on the car, look for a trustworthy indy who knows lexuses to get the work done.
Old 03-03-13, 10:01 AM
jbalian
Rookie

I got billed 347.25$ + tax for bank1 sensor 2 o2 sensor and 284.70$ + tax for transmission fluid change for a total of 726.56$...

Now there's a more serious problem, I took the car on friday night and saturday night the error lights came back on... I scanned it and got a P0138 error code which is o2 sensor (bank1 sensor2) basically the same error that i had on friday, which basically means that they replaced a sensor that had absolutely no problem, in other words 347.25$ down the drain! I also notice a bit of smoke and an odd smell when i park the car, as if something is burnt, i stumbled upon this website

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/dir.../.f0c6927/5577

what do you guys think about this? Has anyone experienced anything similar? Can I drive the car for a couple of days or i may be causing more damage to it?

Thanks
Old 03-03-13, 12:51 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Take it right back and insist they fix it right or you want a total refund. If they balk, then discuss with Lexus corporate and then BBB.
Old 03-19-13, 07:43 AM
jbalian
Rookie

Supposedly 2 codes were on at the same time and they missed the second one, the second code was P2195 - Oxygen Air/Fuel Sensor Signal Stuck Lean Bank 1 Sensor 1, they changed that one as well for 380$ (including 10% discount) and it's supposed to be all good now... Been driving it for the past week and so far so good
Old 03-19-13, 08:47 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did they charge you for the scan? Maybe they should not have since they "missed" it.
Old 03-19-13, 10:54 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

so you paid them $380 to fix something they screwed up when you paid them $700+ to begin with? From the look of it, your B1S2 code was being caused by a bad B1S1. Had they done their job to begin with, your B1S2 probably didn't even need to be replaced to begin with.

Look at this closely, gents. This is why unless you have a factory warranty, you should NOT take your car to the dealer for repairs. This can only be described as an absolute assault on this man's wallet.
Old 03-19-13, 11:16 AM
jbalian
Rookie

350$ for b1s2 and 380$ for b1s1... The way I see it is that they lost a customer who could of brought them a lot more potential customers for 350$... I don't mind paying the extra fee as long as I know the job is being well done but given the experiences I've had with these clowns it's the last time i'll ever do business with them.

On a side note, I've been quoted 350$ for brake bleeding and front/rear ceramic brake pads (pads+installation) from an indy, is that a good price?
Old 03-19-13, 12:32 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbalian
I was driving to work today and all the error lights came on in my car, luckily for the dealer, I was right next to them when it happened so I figured I'll pass by and get it checked (instead of waiting and checking when i get home or taking it to my mechanic), problem turns out to be rear o2 sensor which is 1 hour labour + diagnostic + sensor price, total came down to around 350+tax, i also asked for a transmission fluid change and they charged 280+tax for that, he told me that my model doesn't have a dipstick so it's a bit expensive, if it did have the dipstick he said it would have been around 100...

Asked about price of changing discs and pads, front and rear and i was quoted for around 1k$, they also had a remote car starter on display and he said that's 800$

My car is being services right now, they gave me a loaner and a free carwash, i'll post the exact numbers when i get my bill later tonight, im expecting around 720$ all in

Car is a 2007 es350 ultrapremium with 110 000km, around 68 000 miles and the dealer is Lexus Gabriel in Montreal, Canada, tax is 15%

I think it'll be nice if people start posting how much it cost them to get something fixed and where the repair was done, it'll be a good reference for other members
$280 for a tranny fluid change??? Thats crazy.
I have the same sealed tranny system that you are describing ('07 ES 350), was charged only $119 at the dealer, which I think is a reasonable going rate, and considering they are using dealer approved fluids, its well worth even the 280 ... but they def. still ripped you off, typical Montreal style.

I use the dealer for fluid changes just to make sure my powertrain warranties are still valid.

I paid for a brake 'servicing' which was $140, and I should have asked more questions. I thought they were going to service the caliper pins (lube and reinstall), but all they did was clean the rotors (or resurface them) and I feel like my brakes are even less capable now, more than ever! I know I will need a full brake job all around by next year, just deciding where I will get it done. Maybe toyota?

About the auto starter, I am looking for one currently for my 07 ES 350 ... There seems to be no OEM one available, and am looking for a good 2 way system, and don't want my installer to hack the car. I may bring it to a toyota dealer for this, if any of them are willing. I dont even care if they sub it out, I just want to be able to hold a DEALER responsible if they hack up my ignition wire harnesses. :P

Last edited by iceblast; 03-19-13 at 01:36 PM.