Search this Thread

Old 01-24-12, 08:57 AM
Ryanwl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling Noise Causing Insanity; slightly tl

2010 Lexus ES350
Cliff notes at the bottom
1st post, sincere apologies to mod if post has issues.

A few months ago the rattling noise began. It took me a while to identify the location, but eventually I realized by putting pressure on the left side of the front passenger seat the rattling stopped. When I let go, it started, and so on. Some things I noticed about the rattle; cold temps increase the noise, speeds 35-45 maximize noise, a passenger in the front seat removes the noise, and it still rattles at the same volume even on relatively smooth roads. Beyond that I did all of the usual inspections; check around the seat, fiddle with the seat adjuster, seat belt, etc but did not find the source beyond the hand test.

I eventually brought it into Lexus to ask for an inspection. I offered to play an audio sample and they said they would check it out if they couldn't find the source. After a couple hours they let me know that "a piece from the seat belt buckle was loose and needed to be tightened." Uhhh. When I left the dealership I had a good laugh since the rattle seemed louder than before. I was in a hurry so I didn't turn around, however, I made an appointment for the next day.

The next day they apologized and told me on the phone that there would be a mechanic ready this time and we would go for a test drive. It rattled the whole way to the dealership which actually pleased me for the first time since it began. I arrived at the dealership and saw a mechanic waiting. He said he would sit in the back seat and off we went.... I still can't believe this happened but the same road that I had just been head boppin' the rattle beat to, caused no rattle at all. Pure silence. Based on my reaction to this at the time, I think the mechanic's diagnosis was that I'm insane.

I played the audio sample on our way back to the dealership and since I mentioned how cold weather can sometimes increase the sound, we'd leave the car there overnight and try the next day. The next day, no sound. Two more appointments no sound. I have no explanation. Unfortunately for me, today, and everyday that my car is not getting test driven by the mechanic, I hear this for two hours http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k242NjmiNIE

My reasoning for posting this whole thing is I'm not really sure how to approach the dealership about this moving forward. They all must think I'm crazy since they haven't heard the sound in 4 attempts and I feel like the social climate when I'm there is that I'm the annoying crazy customer. I've received many recommendations on what to tell the dealership about the noise but eventually the dealership said they won't look at the noise if they don't hear the sound on the test drive. I guess this post is my last stop before I sell the car. Any suggestions about anything?

Final Note: As always, the audio sample does not show the full magnitude of what I hear.

Cliff Notes:
rattling noise located on left passenger seat
No noise when there's a passenger in the seat
Dealership can't identify it
Link to noise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k242NjmiNIE
Old 02-01-12, 07:38 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this same noise on my new 2007. The dealership spent time tightening everything they could on the passenger seat. That fixed it....... for about three years. For the past year, it has come back, and we can't seem to get rid of it. It is very annoying. I have resorted to putting a towel on my seat and then a 40 pound bag of sand perched against the back of the seat. This takes care of the noise (and my sanity) but looks tacky. Let me know if your dealer is able to fix it and please tell me what they did. Thanks
Old 02-12-12, 04:42 PM
soonerlaw1
Driver School Candidate

Default Re. Dash rattles. Cam shaft gear rattle fixed our seat noise

Originally Posted by Ryanwl
2010 Lexus ES350
Cliff notes at the bottom
1st post, sincere apologies to mod if post has issues.

A few months ago the rattling noise began. It took me a while to identify the location, but eventually I realized by putting pressure on the left side of the front passenger seat the rattling stopped. When I let go, it started, and so on. Some things I noticed about the rattle; cold temps increase the noise, speeds 35-45 maximize noise, a passenger in the front seat removes the noise, and it still rattles at the same volume even on relatively smooth roads. Beyond that I did all of the usual inspections; check around the seat, fiddle with the seat adjuster, seat belt, etc but did not find the source beyond the hand test.

I eventually brought it into Lexus to ask for an inspection. I offered to play an audio sample and they said they would check it out if they couldn't find the source. After a couple hours they let me know that "a piece from the seat belt buckle was loose and needed to be tightened." Uhhh. When I left the dealership I had a good laugh since the rattle seemed louder than before. I was in a hurry so I didn't turn around, however, I made an appointment for the next day.

The next day they apologized and told me on the phone that there would be a mechanic ready this time and we would go for a test drive. It rattled the whole way to the dealership which actually pleased me for the first time since it began. I arrived at the dealership and saw a mechanic waiting. He said he would sit in the back seat and off we went.... I still can't believe this happened but the same road that I had just been head boppin' the rattle beat to, caused no rattle at all. Pure silence. Based on my reaction to this at the time, I think the mechanic's diagnosis was that I'm insane.

I played the audio sample on our way back to the dealership and since I mentioned how cold weather can sometimes increase the sound, we'd leave the car there overnight and try the next day. The next day, no sound. Two more appointments no sound. I have no explanation. Unfortunately for me, today, and everyday that my car is not getting test driven by the mechanic, I hear this for two hours http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k242NjmiNIE

My reasoning for posting this whole thing is I'm not really sure how to approach the dealership about this moving forward. They all must think I'm crazy since they haven't heard the sound in 4 attempts and I feel like the social climate when I'm there is that I'm the annoying crazy customer. I've received many recommendations on what to tell the dealership about the noise but eventually the dealership said they won't look at the noise if they don't hear the sound on the test drive. I guess this post is my last stop before I sell the car. Any suggestions about anything?

Final Note: As always, the audio sample does not show the full magnitude of what I hear.

Cliff Notes:
rattling noise located on left passenger seat
No noise when there's a passenger in the seat
Dealership can't identify it
Link to noise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k242NjmiNIE

We went thru this and because it was 400 miles of warranty left. We began a lengthy process. After 8,000 more miles /7 appointments SERVICE had to cover ours because it was prior to the warranty being over

Here is our check list.
Do you have any complaint of squeaks rattles noise etc on anything prior to your warranty expiring?
If so, you must use that to get them to do the following
1 DEMAND NEW DASH CLIPS. (they have not been recalled officially but should be!)
They tried to charge us $600. We said no and showed them of our paperwork of the reported issueS of weird rattles, noisy, squeaky etc prior to warranty expiring.
2 Tell them you want the entire dash, behind stereo, anything with open space FILLED WITH INSULLATION! We even have it down in our doors!
3. Make sure your cam shaft gear is stable and not moving. That was sending movement up thru our dash.
4. Tires. If you don't have smooth tires, it makes all that even worse
Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum (tried Michelin, Bridgestone, continental).
This Kumho IS THE MOST AHHMAZING QUIET TIRE. ALL MY ISSUES SOLVED.

I LOVE LEXUS. THE LOOK ETC. BUT THE RATTLES ABOUT BROKE MY SANITY AS I SPEND WELL OVER 2 hours a day in my car.

NOW IT'S ALL SMOOTH AND THE WAY IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE
I hate it that it took all this but the end result was it did work!

Ps. Our friend said "it's a nationwide issue from 20006- 2010" with these dash clips
Rattles behind stereos and instability by cam shaft gears. So when or if you hear a service rep at Lexus reply "really? Wow?!! That's just not Lexus character" etc. STAY on them.
Rattle to them as often as your car rattles at you.
We insisted the service manager go driving with us.
NOW. MY CAR IS THE LEXUS I KNEW I PAID FOR. GOOD LUCK
Old 02-18-12, 09:37 PM
RandomTech
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's under the bumper to bumper, show the video to the dealer and get it warranteed.
Old 01-31-15, 01:09 AM
Les147
Driver School Candidate

I have a Lexus rx 300, just recently on starting I'm getting a whining noise from the engine.
After a while it will disappear and run as normal.
Could it have anything to do with the turbo or alternator?