ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 Remote a little too sensitive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-11, 06:11 PM
azncapcom
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ES350 Remote a little too sensitive?

I just went to my car and noticed all the windows open. Somehow the keys that were in my pocket must of been pressed by something in my pocket. I didn't expect the range to be that good since the car is parked underground at work and im on the first floor. I tested it again to make sure that it would actually work and it wasn't the car that did it by itself. and voila i went back down and the windows were down again. Now this could be a problem.... If someone sees it and wants to go into the car to steal something... then im pretty much screwed.

Is there like a way to prevent this or somehow reduce the range? I think you can disable the auto window opening feature, but that wouldn't stop the fact that the car would still unlock if the button was pressed automatically in my pocket...
Old 12-18-11, 07:00 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

You sure you didn't "press and hold" the unlock button while approaching the car resulting in the car unlocking and windows & standard moonroof opening, instead of just unlocking it.

The door also should relock within 60 seconds if the door isn't opened within that time.

The manual range says its

"The system can be operated
when the electronic key is
within about 2.3 ft. (70 cm) of
any of the outside door handles.
(Only the doors detecting
the key can be operated.)"
Old 12-18-11, 08:06 PM
azncapcom
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by nevernu
You sure you didn't "press and hold" the unlock button while approaching the car resulting in the car unlocking and windows & standard moonroof opening, instead of just unlocking it.

The door also should relock within 60 seconds if the door isn't opened within that time.

The manual range says its

"The system can be operated
when the electronic key is
within about 2.3 ft. (70 cm) of
any of the outside door handles.
(Only the doors detecting
the key can be operated.)"
i tested it afterwards to make sure. I went back upstairs after closing all windows and held the unlock button and went back down and the windows were down again. Meaning it does sense it when im upstairs. It was the second time that it had happend, the first time it happened was 2 weeks ago (about 2 weeks after i got the car) this time i made sure i tested it.

No the range is much further than that. I believe it is suppose to be like that, so you can roll down all the windows while you are walking towards the car on a hot summer day to vent it before you get in.

The system your referring to is the auto unlock when you grab a door handle when the remote is close to the handle. Im referring to the rolling down of windows when holding the unlock button.
Old 12-19-11, 03:56 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I sometimes "squeeze" the remote while it is in my pocket inside the house while bending down and sure enough, the alarm goes off. It is sensitive and the remote signal goes far.
Old 12-19-11, 05:03 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by garsarno
I sometimes "squeeze" the remote while it is in my pocket inside the house while bending down and sure enough, the alarm goes off. It is sensitive and the remote signal goes far.
This happens to me too, even when just sitting down. I try not to keep the remote in my pocket.

I have yet to test the limit of the remote's range, but I know it's MUCH further than 2.3 ft. as I have both locked & unlocked the car from at least 30-40 ft. away in parking lots.

I once had a Ford that I could lock or unlock from about 50-75 yards away, even if I was inside the building. I used to honk its horn at my friends when they walked by it.
Old 12-19-11, 07:08 AM
azncapcom
Pit Crew

so how do you guys deal with the fact of it being pressed by itself? This has already happened to me twice since one month of ownership. And this is for the windows being down, who knows how many times it unlocked itself.
Old 12-19-11, 07:24 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It just happens, more so in jeans than dress pants.
Old 12-19-11, 08:30 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by garsarno
It just happens, more so in jeans than dress pants.
It's the same with me. It only happens when I'm wearing jeans, and mainly when I'm in the garage cleaning the car, bending/kneeling etc.
Old 12-19-11, 02:59 PM
RichmondS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the 2.3 ft range is for starting the car. Mine seems to meet that spec closely.
Old 12-20-11, 05:48 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RichmondS
I think the 2.3 ft range is for starting the car. Mine seems to meet that spec closely.
Yeah; the 2.3ft spec is for the keyless entry feature, not the remote unlock feature. My sales rep was telling me stories about how people would ask about the range of the keyless unlock (where you have to touch the door handle/trunk button on the physical car itself). She always replies back "How long are your arms?" LOL

From what I can tell from starting the car, if the keys are outside the car (as in, I have the door open, foot on the brake, body outside the car but reach in to hit the start button) it won't start. Pretty good at detecting that the key is not inside....
Old 12-20-11, 06:15 AM
azncapcom
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mlacomb
Yeah; the 2.3ft spec is for the keyless entry feature, not the remote unlock feature. My sales rep was telling me stories about how people would ask about the range of the keyless unlock (where you have to touch the door handle/trunk button on the physical car itself). She always replies back "How long are your arms?" LOL

From what I can tell from starting the car, if the keys are outside the car (as in, I have the door open, foot on the brake, body outside the car but reach in to hit the start button) it won't start. Pretty good at detecting that the key is not inside....
Theres multiple sensors in the car and on every door. I guess it detected that the key is closer to the sensor at the door maybe? or it was just out of range from the interior sensors
Old 12-20-11, 09:59 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The key fob buttons operate at far longer than 2.3 feet - over 50' in my experience. The 2.3 foot range is where the car will detect the fob and turn on the courtesy lights, etc.

If you're accidentally pressing buttons while in range of the car then you'll either have to find a different means of storing your fob or you'll have to shield it. Simply wrapping it in aluminum foil will do the trick, but that's obviously a huge inconvenience when you then need to use it.
Old 12-21-11, 03:11 PM
RichmondS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bit unreleated to OP's initial post but I've been trying to figure out what would happen if the remote loses contact with the car hile it's running. I know the car beeps 3 times if you get out with the key in your pocket, but what happens if the key completely leaves for an extended period of time? I could see this happning if I drop my Wife off with the key in her purse.
Old 12-21-11, 03:52 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Yes, getting away from the topic but - The car will run until it is turned off or runs out of gas without a remote within range - you just can't restart it once it is off without a remote. That is why my wife and I who share the car each carry a remote when we are out. Too easy for the person carrying the remote to walk away otherwise.

Dave Mac
Old 12-22-11, 05:51 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

This might help. We recently bought some leather Lexus Key (fob/remote) Gloves off eBay for $5.00 each plus a couple of bucks shipping. When the remote is inside the "glove" there are holes in the leather so you can access the buttons. I'm thinking that the thickness of the leather (however it's not very thick) may be enough to keep the buttons from being activated when one's pants are too tight--for whatever reason. I haven't tried it as I don't have tight pants any more--that's another story though, and not worth telling here.

Quick Reply: ES350 Remote a little too sensitive?