ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Windshield or Wiper Blade Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-11, 03:34 PM
smarty666
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield or Wiper Blade Issue

I was hoping you all can help me with something. Have a pretty new ES350 with only 3700 miles on it. I've been noticing an issue every time it rains with the front windshield. The wiper blades are not streaking, but every time they go across the windshield, they seem to smearing the water making the visibility worse. I'm not sure if it is something with the wiper blades themselves or with the windshield but it isn't going away.

I've tried cleaning the window several times and it continues when they operate in the rain. Before I take it in to Lexus, have any of you had issues like this when your car was new and if so what was the problem and how did you and Lexus solve it?
Old 11-22-11, 03:39 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts

check the wiper blade insert and see if they are ripped or dislodged from its little groove.
Old 11-22-11, 04:33 PM
smarty666
Rookie

I'll give that a look at but I'm pretty sure they are on there properly. It almost seems like there is a residue on the blades or window that is smearing when the blades go across.
Old 11-22-11, 05:04 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would look closely at the rubber blade for any imperfections. Then, test your wiper arm for flexibility, if you need to oil the spring. You can flex the arm back and forth a few time to make it flex correctly.

Then, if all failed, try to clay and wax the windshield. I would also spray some lubricant to soften the rubber blade from time to time.
Old 11-22-11, 07:15 PM
smarty666
Rookie

Well I checked over the wiper blade inserts. I don't see any imperfection and they seem to be correctly attached to the arms. Also, the arm is flexible as it should be. I've tried cleaning the windshield again with soap and water and that did nothing. There seems to be some sort of residue on the windshield that the blades smear as they go. Does anyone know if Lexus coats the windshield with anything from the factory?
Old 11-22-11, 07:47 PM
Tpcorr
Rookie

Smarty,
I'm sure you tried this already, but just in case you haven't, make sure you clean the parts of the wiper blades that contact the windshield with some warm soapy water on a sponge. If that doesn't solve the problem, I'd replace the wiper blades.

Tom
Old 11-22-11, 07:59 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

You might try calling the dealership's service dept. and ask them if they've encountered the problem and see if they have a recommendation. Also, if it is something that is used on the windshield for shipment, they will know how to remove it easily.
Old 11-23-11, 04:00 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Clean the windshield with something slightly stronger like a spray degreaser with a dry cloth. Had the same problem with a different car and this removed whatever was on the windshield. Did you run your car through an automatic car wash and if so, did you opt for the spray wax? Also, wipe your blade edge down with same degreaser. Something like Simple Green or the other type of degreasers found in the Wal Mart type store's automotive section.
Old 11-23-11, 11:59 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

To me, it sounds like the wiper is not getting even pressure along it's entire length.
In other words, making good pressure at some points and not so good at other points.

Don't know if you feel like doing this at this point, but you might want to consider changing the blade & insert.
In the past, I have used Bosch Icons with pretty good success.
These blades provide even pressure along the entire length as they don't have the little "rockers" along the length.
Another advantage of the one piece blades is that they don't get clogged up with ice and snow.

Other than that, unless you ask the dealer to replace the whole blade itself...not just the rubber insert.

Keep in mind if the blade wasn't making even pressure, you probably wouldn't be able to see that with the naked eye.

Last edited by NJLEXES; 11-23-11 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-24-11, 09:41 AM
smarty666
Rookie

Here is an update. I've used a degreaser and even went to the self wash today and high pressured washed the front windshield and the stains/residue remains. I even went and hot soapy water cleaned the wiper blades again. It going to rain here in NJ next Mon and Tues so I'll find out then if it worked or not but I have my doubts.

I still don't believe its the wiper blade inserts because when I had them off today and used a damp cloth and just go across the front windshield, the spots/residue are seen until the water dries off the windshield. Also, if it was a result of uneven pressure from the blades, they would be leaving streak marks as they go across and they aren't and they seem to pushing the water off the windshield. It just seems that what ever is on the windshield is being smeared as they go across.

The only thing else I can think of is do you think the windshield washer fluid could be bad or leaving some residue on the windshield. I've used it a couple of times since getting the car in August and is the only thing else I can think of.

If this persists next week when it rains again, I'll be taking it into my Lexus dealer to inquire about it.
Old 11-24-11, 02:16 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe a clay bar to remove the residue but your inclination to take it to the dealer and let him look at it. On second thought, maybe take some 3M adhesive cleaner on a microtowel and try a small section of the windshield to see if it removes the film.
Old 11-24-11, 06:32 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You did a lot of tests as it should be, i hope it is not simply a glass defect, an even spot that the wiper cannot wipe off.

Did you try to swap another type of wiper ?

If you really have a residue, i would suggest to use a razor blade and gently scrape off, it should not harm the glass at all.
Old 11-29-11, 06:53 PM
smarty666
Rookie

Well I finally got it solved, without Lexus's help. I was at my wits end as it poured rain all day so I had ample opportunity to try different things. I put on a set of old Bosch Beam Blades I had down stairs and cleaned the window with some Rain-X I had on the shelf that I hadn't used in a while. Went out in moderate rain tonight and what do you know, it was cleaning clear with no smear anymore.

Only problem with this test was I had two variables, the different wipers and different cleaner. I went back home, took off the Bosch wipers and put back on the OEM. I went back out in the rain and the OEM wipers are cleaning clear as a whistle. Through process of elimination, there was some type of residue on that windshield that only the Rain-X was able to clean off. I'm just thankful something worked and now I can take this off my list for when the car goes into Lexus for its 5k oil filter and tire rotation.
Old 11-29-11, 07:02 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rain-x tends to leave a residue itself, which is why it works so well. I used to use it on my car in college but stopped with my next car because if you don't use it on a regular basis, it can cause streaking unless you clean it all off the windshield.