ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Remote Start Sytem

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-12, 12:35 PM
Lawmen
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer says it's possible

I bought a CPO 2008 ES on 2/21/2012. I asked a rep in the Lexus Dealer's Service Department if remote start can be installed. He said, "I'll find out and call you back." He called back about an hour later and reported that he has a vendor that will come to the dealer to install a non-Lexus remote start system that will work with the Lexus smart key fob. Cost: $640. I live in Virginia, not Iowa, but it does occasionally get cold. If I decide to do it, I will post a review of how it works and how much it ends up costing.

Dealer is Pohanka Lexus in Chantilly, VA (Metro DC area)
Old 12-14-12, 07:08 AM
lipappy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawmen
I bought a CPO 2008 ES on 2/21/2012. I asked a rep in the Lexus Dealer's Service Department if remote start can be installed. He said, "I'll find out and call you back." He called back about an hour later and reported that he has a vendor that will come to the dealer to install a non-Lexus remote start system that will work with the Lexus smart key fob. Cost: $640. I live in Virginia, not Iowa, but it does occasionally get cold. If I decide to do it, I will post a review of how it works and how much it ends up costing.

Dealer is Pohanka Lexus in Chantilly, VA (Metro DC area)

Lawmen, I just called Pohanka Lexus in Chantilly to ask about remote starters, coincidentially. They mentioned they could install it if I found an aftermarket starter, but did not mention a vendor who would install it - that they work with. Can you update if you were able to get it installed at Chantilly and if so, what was the name of the starter? Also price you paid and how it's working for you. Thanks.
Old 12-14-12, 07:11 AM
lipappy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PaulA
I have a 2010 ES350 with remote start,that was installed by my Lexus dealer here in Des Moines, Ia. It works very well.

When you remotely start the car and then get in, you must push the Lexus starter button twice to tell the Remote start processor that it is to disengage and that it can turn off its security system. Thats all there is to it. All of the Lexus functions work as normal. However, I should mention that when the car is started remotely, the car door locks are controlled by the remote starter FOB until you get in and press the cars starter button.

The brand of remote starter on my ES is a Python.

I don't know why other dealers tell people it can't be done, and I have an invoice that warranties the work and protects the new car warranty.

PaulA, I want it. Can you tell me how you got the Python i.e. website or if the dealer had a vendor that provided it. How's it still working for you? And you did say the Pyton does not invalidate the warranty of the car? Thanks.
Old 12-21-12, 12:50 PM
carcass29
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you need to purchase a "bypass" with your system in order to use a remote starter...they're usually around 40-60 extra
Old 02-20-13, 12:32 PM
Lawmen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lipappy
PaulA, I want it. Can you tell me how you got the Python i.e. website or if the dealer had a vendor that provided it. How's it still working for you? And you did say the Pyton does not invalidate the warranty of the car? Thanks.
lipappy, now it's my turn to ask if you had any luck with the installation. I hadn't followed up with Pohanka and am interested to know what you ended up doing. Last I heard was that my local (northern Virginia area) dealers both use AutoSpa for aftermarket apps. AutoSpa told me that I could not get a remote start system that would work with my Lexus fob unless I was willing to accept that the fob would not unlock the doors while the engine is running (have to turn off car or use manual key from inside the fob). Or, I could have two fobs: new one to start the car plus old one to do its normal thing. I don't really like either solution.
Old 02-20-13, 03:12 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The new ES350 has remote start as a dealer installed option. Listed as "remote engine starter" for $499. Would it work on pre 2013 models?
Old 02-20-13, 04:09 PM
lipappy
Driver School Candidate

Lawmen, I decided not to go forward with the installation given that it is not a dealer-installed option. There's a place called Sonic Sound in Arlington that will install it and ensures that it won't compromise the warranty, but it's not cheap - particularly because of the intricacies involved with bypassing all of the regular workings of the ignition and door locks.

I don't care what anyone says, if something goes wrong with my car, you can easily blame it on the remote starter and nobody can prove it wrong. Also, I don't like the idea of making that kind of serious modification to my brand new beautiful car if it's not something offered by the dealer itself.
Old 02-21-13, 07:24 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$5-600 for a remote starter? Guys, you're getting taken.

At the very least, you can get a system with a small separate fob that you use only to start the car. It's independent of your lexus fob, you'd just have to make sure you unlock the door before you start the car. Kind of a pain, but would still work. Or, there must be a way to use another system that, say, will start the car if you hit the unlock button 4 times in a row. This would be to prevent unintended starting when unlocking the other doors for passengers, but would leave the doors unlocked while the car starts up.

Either way, it's a $3-400 job at most, between parts and labor. Having worked at a dealership (not a Lexus one) I can say for sure I'd never go back to a dealer for accessories and install. They always have a significant markup over the vendor themselves to get a piece of the pie too. They charge you 600, then pay the vendor $250 or $300 to do the job.
Old 02-21-13, 08:06 AM
Lawmen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lipappy
Lawmen, I decided not to go forward with the installation given that it is not a dealer-installed option. There's a place called Sonic Sound in Arlington that will install it and ensures that it won't compromise the warranty, but it's not cheap - particularly because of the intricacies involved with bypassing all of the regular workings of the ignition and door locks.

I don't care what anyone says, if something goes wrong with my car, you can easily blame it on the remote starter and nobody can prove it wrong. Also, I don't like the idea of making that kind of serious modification to my brand new beautiful car if it's not something offered by the dealer itself.
I found the following interesting site dedicated to remote start sytems: www.remote-car-starters.com. I filled out a "contact us" e-mail and the site manager and author, Mitch Schaffer, actually called me and recommended a shop in Westminster, MD called Westminster Speed and Sound (WSS) (www.wssdriveeasy.com). It's a 1.5-hour drive from DC, but I might make the trip because. . .

Luke at WSS introduced me to a product called the ADS iDataLink module (www.idatalink.com). Luke says (and the iDataLink website supports) that this module will interface with (not bypass) the car's computer to allow a remote start using the OEM key fob. The start procedure is to push the LOCK button 3 times. . . the car will then start and the OEM key fob will continue to function as normal (will unlock doors when you get in the car). The only "but" is that when you open the car door to get in, the engine will shut down and you have to restart as normal (not a big deal to me); also, the engine will shut down after ten minutes (I actually prefer that). Best of all, Luke said the installed price is $300. . . much better than the $500 - $700 quotes I had been getting for systems that don't do what I want.

I, like you, am a bit anxious about "what if it torches the electrical system?" The fact that WSS received accolades from Mobile Electronics Magazine (Top 50 Retailer in the US for 2011-2012) is of some value. I very much enjoyed talking to Luke and appreciated his time in researching the issue and getting back to me with a solution. Being able to download and view the installation guide for the iDataLink and feeling like that is a solid company (same umbrella company as Compustar) also helps. Might it blow up? Yes, but the indicators are thus far favorable.

I'll follow up as I learn more and/or if I actually do it. Cheers.
Old 02-21-13, 08:26 AM
Lawmen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jcat_350
$5-600 for a remote starter? Guys, you're getting taken.

Either way, it's a $3-400 job at most, between parts and labor. Having worked at a dealership (not a Lexus one) I can say for sure I'd never go back to a dealer for accessories and install. They always have a significant markup over the vendor themselves to get a piece of the pie too. They charge you 600, then pay the vendor $250 or $300 to do the job.
I do appreciate that dealers mark up accessories (and anything else they do on your car), but there is a value associated with being able to hold the dealer accountable if something goes wrong. I received five quotes for remote starter systems; four of them were in the $500 - $700 range; only one of those was from a dealer and it was $600. All four of those were for separate start systems and none of the four met my needs. So, I can't confirm that the dealer was trying to milk me (I suspect the dealer gets a break from the vendor who appreciates the extra business). The fifth quote (see my recent reply to lipappy) was $300 and has indications of being an elegant solution. Cheers.
Old 02-21-13, 02:42 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

I had a remote start aftermarket installed on my -04 Lincoln LS. After a major accident, the car was fixed ($5,000 worth back in 2006) and the car never ran right after it. Numerous trips to the dealer to try and fix it did not make it. Everyone blamed the electronics of the remote start after the fix that was the cause. I finally traded it in on a '07 Impala SS with factory remote start. In checking out the available remote starts way back in '07 for our ES350, the consensus back then was that the push button start complicated the whole deal. And going to the dealer for it starts off a whole slew of possible problems if the remote does not work right. Their subcontractor may only be at the dealership on certain days (if there is work) and it will just aggravate you to come back to their schedule.
Old 02-22-13, 08:54 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by garsarno
I had a remote start aftermarket installed on my -04 Lincoln LS. After a major accident, the car was fixed ($5,000 worth back in 2006) and the car never ran right after it. Numerous trips to the dealer to try and fix it did not make it. Everyone blamed the electronics of the remote start after the fix that was the cause. I finally traded it in on a '07 Impala SS with factory remote start. In checking out the available remote starts way back in '07 for our ES350, the consensus back then was that the push button start complicated the whole deal. And going to the dealer for it starts off a whole slew of possible problems if the remote does not work right. Their subcontractor may only be at the dealership on certain days (if there is work) and it will just aggravate you to come back to their schedule.
Don't forget, back in 2007 push button start was a huge deal and not easily implemented. That's changed dramatically in recent years as more people have become more familiar and comfortable with the systems and how to make them work.

There is no exception with this in regards to remote starts, either. The makers of the aftermarket systems without a doubt have HAD to come up with a solution given the fact that ~90% of cars nowadays come with some sort of smart key/push button start system, otherwise they'd lose out on a huge market.

If people can get remote start working on push-button Mercedes ignition systems, they can get it working on a glorified camry, that's for sure. I'd recommend looking around at multiple aftermarket shops that seem to work on high end cars. That will be the place to go to get it done. It may be more expensive than johnny civic's audio shop, but you won't pay 6-700 like you would at the dealer.
Old 02-22-13, 12:05 PM
Lawmen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jcat_350
I'd recommend looking around at multiple aftermarket shops that seem to work on high end cars. That will be the place to go to get it done. It may be more expensive than johnny civic's audio shop, but you won't pay 6-700 like you would at the dealer.
I may not have been too clear before. . . I received three quotes of 550, 650, and 700 from three aftermarket shops that have good reps (as near as I can tell). I also received a quote of 650 from the dealer. So, no guaranteed savings going to a shop over the dealer.

I submit that the best place to "get it done" is the place that: 1) provides the best solution; 2) you trust to work on your car; 3) will stand behind their work; and 4) you don't think is ripping you off. Since people are naturally bent, there is no guarantee you won't get hosed, but due diligence in your research can hopefully identify charlatans.
Old 02-22-13, 12:20 PM
Lawmen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by garsarno
I had a detailed discussion with my Lexus Service Department about their responsibility re: contracted work. After that discussion, I am confident that I would be in better shape holding a Lexus service receipt than a aftermarket shop's receipt. Lexus (at least my dealer) doesn't recognize a difference between Lexus-performed work and contracted work performed at the Lexus Service Center. For example, if I have to take the car back to the dealer for follow-up service after a repair or modification (even if contracted), I get a 2013 Lexus to drive for free until my car is ready again. I don't think I get that kind of deal if I go directly to a shop.
Old 02-22-13, 12:29 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Your right about the Lexus loaner. I had poor service on my Lincoln LS remote start. The subcontractor did not show up for the appointed day. Next time I had to leave the car there all day. Once you have their loaner, they can take 2 weeks to sort out any problems that may come up because hey, its their loaner out there. Good point.

Quick Reply: Remote Start Sytem